Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-12-2021, 01:17 AM
HUSHKABOOM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (64)
Gun show find?

Found a rifle at a show with a tag saying it was a BRNO 511 .22LR. Semi auto with one magazine. OK used condition. Has 3 leaf rear sight and front sight with hood. It is threaded for a suppressor but may be a metric thread. Barrel and action date stamped 74. Had some kind of Tasco 6-24 bullet drop older Japan scope in some Millet engraved rings.
Now the embarrassing part. The instant background check system is backed up and will likely be 3 weeks before I get my hands on the rifle again. Scope mounted low so I couldn't see what is written atop the barrel. Now I am not so sure what I bought. Is this a BRNO 581? 511? I am guessing 581?
Old 09-12-2021, 04:57 AM
pg339

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The date stamp and three leaf rear sight would say you've got the Brno 581. With the front and rear sights in place that's a big plus. Make sure the mag doesn't get "mislaid" and that it comes with the rifle. Probably threaded 1/2"x20 European thread. Good find.
Old 09-12-2021, 07:53 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
I agree with pg339, nothing wrong with a 581, stock has a slightly different profile but the mechanism is basically the same which is good. Adaptors for 1/2 20 to 1/2 28 are available as you likely know.
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2021, 10:35 AM
Lawrence

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well done on your purchase, they are wonderful rifles and built like tanks. The 581 and 511 are much the same with minor differences. Enjoy when you receive it!
Old 09-12-2021, 02:51 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (64)
Thanks guys! Can't wait to get my hands on it again. Will mount a 2-7 in some better rings and have some fun with it. Maybe chase down a rabbit?
Old 09-12-2021, 03:48 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSHKABOOM View Post
Thanks guys! Can't wait to get my hands on it again. Will mount a 2-7 in some better rings and have some fun with it. Maybe chase down a rabbit?
And take pix for us poor peoples?
Old 09-12-2021, 04:41 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I don't know anything about your new rifle but just curious. What is an instant background check that takes 3 weeks? I rekon y'all got a different definition of "instant" out there. Sorry about that.
Old 09-12-2021, 08:33 PM
eggplant

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would guess it's like E-filing your income tax return.., they tell you 2 weeks, but it takes 6 months...
Old 09-13-2021, 12:20 AM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (64)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lasttombstone View Post
I don't know anything about your new rifle but just curious. What is an instant background check that takes 3 weeks? I rekon y'all got a different definition of "instant" out there. Sorry about that.
Our backgrounds are run through the Oregon State Police. In normal times the check can be almost instant when the FFL dealer puts the info on the computer and hits enter. Sometimes takes 15 minutes if a few gun shows are running on a Saturday. Since the change in administration and virus hit the system can get backed up and stalls out. So several guns I have purchased have taken 2-3 weeks and during that time I have purchased others and the background cleared instantly and I went away happy. So more staffing is likely need. $10 charged every time also. They must be making money?

Last edited by HUSHKABOOM; 09-13-2021 at 12:22 AM.
Old 09-13-2021, 08:55 AM
BobCole
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUSHKABOOM View Post
Our backgrounds are run through the Oregon State Police. In normal times the check can be almost instant when the FFL dealer puts the info on the computer and hits enter. Sometimes takes 15 minutes if a few gun shows are running on a Saturday. Since the change in administration and virus hit the system can get backed up and stalls out. So several guns I have purchased have taken 2-3 weeks and during that time I have purchased others and the background cleared instantly and I went away happy. So more staffing is likely need. $10 charged every time also. They must be making money?

Geez, what a circus!

In TN we also use the state po-po agency. However, the TN law is written that they have only 72 hours to give an approval or denial for a buyer. They too sometimes get overwhelmed if there's multiple shows going on in the same weekend.

Also in TN if the buyer is denied they can file an appeal @ no-charge. That can take up to two weeks.

But this beats the crap out of the old system. Then each check was run by the buyer's home county sheriff & one had to travel back to pick up the gun. PITA! Often took 3 weeks too!
Old 09-13-2021, 10:58 AM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Can’t y’all just show your CCW and skip the background check like in Ga.??
Old 09-13-2021, 11:19 AM
rapidray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We in Georgia and a few other states have it way easier
Old 09-13-2021, 11:38 AM
BCR1
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
50% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
Not in TN if through an FFL. Private transfers are fine and no wait.

Bill
Old 09-13-2021, 01:00 PM
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
90% (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bugeye View Post
We used to here in Michigan. But since last April, the Feds won't recognize our CCW background check. The legislature here in MI decided to allow convicted domestic abusers to have CCW's. That's a no no for the Feds.

Craig...
Old 09-13-2021, 01:41 PM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So some of you need two back ground checks one at federal and one at state level?