Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-25-2010, 04:04 PM
outlinkk
UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
fn trombone light strikes

hi all,

i have an older FN trombone, metal buttplate and smooth rounded receiver..... serial 46xxx..... it was in rough shape when i got it and looks worse now!! had to fill some holes and have yet to refinish the mended metal

i finally got the chance to fire it the other day and here`s what happens...load 10 or 11 rds...snap the inner tube into place....chamber a round and fire....so far so good...never a failure to fire the first round

however,after chambering the second and subsequent rounds i get light strikes and failure to fire

i`ve thoroughly cleaned the bore and chamber and all breech block parts...used a chamber ironing tool and an oversize brush to make sure rounds are well seated in the chamber

the firing pin end is T-shaped (in a flat plane along the forward vertical edge)and doesn`t appear worn...but i don`t really have a basis for comparison to a new pin

has anyone else had this issue ? any ideas out there?
Old 05-25-2010, 04:57 PM
blacksmith_sc
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do you have an owner's manual for it? My guess would be springs or firing fin.

If you live in the US or Canada, you might check Western Gun Parts:

http://www.westerngunparts.com/

for replacements. They are about the only one that would have them.

BTW, you put a silencer on it yet?
Old 05-25-2010, 05:01 PM
blacksmith_sc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry, I should have mentioned, you can get an owners manual for free from Browninig, you can even order it off their web site, and they'll mail it to you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2010, 05:21 PM
outlinkk
UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Angry

hey blacksmith,

i did get the manual from browning,a few pages reprinted from old stock
it`s helpful of course but not comprehensive.

the only schematic i have is the old patent photo

westerngun parts was contacted and they do have a pin for about $50.00..ouch!

what springs should i take a look at?

i had a silencer on it today to see if all my cleaning had solved the ftf issue.
it`s looks cool and is very quiet (on the first round) but in order to access the tube to reload, the can has to come off
Old 05-25-2010, 06:07 PM
outlinkk
UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
update: i found a manual online:http://www.stevespages.com/page7b.htm

same one ebay sellers hawk for 9.50...it`s in french but the pictures are in "gun",which i can read

the pictures in the actual pdf are larger and clearer than the one here in my post

since this manual is both obsolete and widely copied for sale thru various vendors i think it`safe to assume that any coprites(sp) have expired

Last edited by outlinkk; 05-25-2010 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-25-2010, 06:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
I know I have posted this before, but what the heck! I just love this patent drawing--a relic from a simpler time. Let me know if you would like a full-sized copy.

cb
Old 05-26-2010, 07:27 AM
blacksmith_sc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
outlinkk:

Where do you live? There might be someone with a trombone nearby that you could compare parts with.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:57 AM
outlinkk
UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
i`m in sc also...upstate area......small world huh?
Old 07-01-2010, 06:32 PM
outlinkk
UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
after many attempts polishing,repairing dents and swapping parts back and forth between my 2 trombone project guns i finally got my problem child working....the last thing i did was to remove the extractor and thoroughly clean out all the gunk around the extractor,spring and pin....there was almost a solid mass of debris in there and most likely it kept the extractor from functioning

i noticed that the extractor (the one i was having trouble with) in my gun with serial 46xxx,is shaped differently than the one in my other gun,serial 54xxx.....newer design,or just more wear?

Old 09-10-2021, 03:15 PM
Thisisdonald

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thread resurrection! I recently acquired a trombone and I would like to know how you removed the extractor in or to clean out the hole? I tried holding the plunger down with a little pocket knife, but couldnt get it in between the plunger and extractor... I'm assuming you take the pressure off the extractor and just pull it out?
Old 09-10-2021, 03:33 PM
Lawrence

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I just flush it out and use a small tool to pick out any gunk. If it works then I don't bother trying to take it apart, which is easy or trying to put it back together, which can be a challenge.
Old 09-10-2021, 11:58 PM
Traptinkansas
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by outlinkk View Post
hey blacksmith,

i did get the manual from browning,a few pages reprinted from old stock
it`s helpful of course but not comprehensive.

the only schematic i have is the old patent photo

westerngun parts was contacted and they do have a pin for about $50.00..ouch!

what springs should i take a look at?

i had a silencer on it today to see if all my cleaning had solved the ftf issue.
it`s looks cool and is very quiet (on the first round) but in order to access the tube to reload, the can has to come off
The hammer spring lives inside that long tube in the rear of the trigger group. Here's something that may be inapplicable in your case, but maybe not to other rifles with light strikes:

I bought a Norinco clone of the Trombone that was inoperable and sold for parts. On those, there is a screw-on spring retaining cap on the end of the tube with a thredded hole in the middle for the stock retaining bolt. On the Norinco, the threaded hole for the stock bolt goes all the way through. One of the things that will either render the hammer inoperable or cause light firing pin strikes is a gummed up or seized hammer spring - or putting the stock back on without (enough) spacer washers on the stock bolt. If the stock bolt gets screwed in too far, it will either render the hammer completely inoperable or cause light strikes until you remove the stock to see what is going on and discover that it starts working, until you put the stock back on again.

Last edited by Traptinkansas; 09-11-2021 at 12:50 AM. Reason: Clarify
Old 09-11-2021, 12:49 AM
Lawrence

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Also people rarely oil the hammer spring tube, it's dry as a popcorn f*rt after 70 years and needs a few drops of oil.