Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-01-2021, 09:21 AM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Jan 2021 harvest using hm2 rifle

Waiting on some rain to move through then go squirrel hunting.
So while I was a waiting.
Crow at distance. Guessed yardage to be 90 yards. Dialed me up Nightforce 1/2 moa touched trigger poof. Lasered after the fact 93 yards.

The crows started swarming. One lit and I guessed yardage to be Somewhere near 135 yards. Dialed scope up 2.5 moa. Touched the trigger he went air born and crash landed some 50 yards away from where shot in pasture.
Lasered after the fact. Best guess using nearby trees distance was near 133 yards.
I had shot some squirrels previously near thi spot out of a mulberry tree. So I had already had laser in this area from whereís inwas standing.
Crows arenít that big actually, feathers may make their bodies look a lot bigger.

Muddy here big time. Didnít retrieve the crows. On sorta steep part of of pasture. Might fall trying to retrieve.

Love this round.
Notice hmr ammo is nonexistent it seems for buying.
May order another 2000 rounds of hm2.

Hereís what I expect to happen.
When hm2 ammo is gone, it will be the last to come back. Production wise. I could be wrong.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:43 AM
coontz74
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Nice shooting as always...

I do hope your wrong about HM2 ammo. I have a good bit of Hornady but always keep my eyes open. Wish I had bought more Eley when I had the opportunity and it wasnít what the going price is now.

Good luck on your hunt today. Itís raining pretty good here in N GA.
Old 01-01-2021, 01:03 PM
Silas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel1 View Post
Hereís what I expect to happen.
When hm2 ammo is gone, it will be the last to come back. Production wise.
Agreed. CCI is not going to convert one of their rimfire lines to make a run of a boutique cartridge with a limited following when they can sell .22LR as fast as they can make it. Despite the fact that I'm already sitting on what in all likelihood is a lifetime supply of HM2 I went ahead and ordered some more just to be safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2021, 05:27 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice day today.
Squirrels didnít stir much though. Hung out in den trees mainly.
Bagged 4. All young but one. Shot out of same tree.
Thought I was going to get skunked.

Brings season total to 444
Career harvest to 51,286
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CF2D6CC0-D38F-4561-A08B-92392828384D.jpg (518.4 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg 37296CA5-3FD3-4A79-8F25-5323FFF1A728.jpg (273.1 KB, 16 views)
Old 01-10-2021, 04:02 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Been off the hunting trail a few days helping someone look up their relatives via internet.
Anyways went today saw 2 fox squirrels and 2 grey squirrels.
Go to back to truck and hadn’t even bagged s single squirrel and hear a fox squirrel barking quite a ways away. Got in truck and drove back around field and turned off truck. Fox squirrels quit barking but did see a grey squirrel run up a big oak and start sunning. I guessed range to squirrel to be 100 yards. Very little wind. If any a tad coming from my right side.
DIaled Nightforce scope up 4 clicks (1moa) took rest on truck scope mag at 10x.
Boom.
Squirrel fell out like a sack of taters.
Was holding back of head.
Shot came in a tad low. Slightly left of where I was aiming.
Outside temp 40f. So ammo was about 40f too, as it was in outside jackets pocket.
No exit wound. And after walking to pick up squirrel and more surveying squirrel could have been around 110 yard. Edited- squirrel was 121 yards as confirmed by laser. Few days later. I didn’t have range finder but can range find later. Tree squirrel was in appeared to be a rock solid den tree with nice hole.
Love this round. Without a laser range finder this shot today on this squirrel very difficult to pull off using 22 lr. Hm2 huge advantage. You misjudge a 105 yard shot by 5 or 10 yards you likely using 22 lr are SOL.
Brings season total total 445
Career harvest.51,287
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 97929B62-5A19-46A8-B980-4F96DB7579DC.jpg (543.7 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by squirrel1; 01-15-2021 at 12:13 AM.
Old 01-10-2021, 05:32 PM
coontz74

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Nice shot....remind me again what Nightforce scope you have? Iíve been looking at them to replace my Weaver..
Old 01-10-2021, 06:01 PM
Themoose
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You got that rifle & round figured out!
Old 01-10-2021, 06:15 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coontz74 View Post
Nice shot....remind me again what Nightforce scope you have? I’ve been looking at them to replace my Weaver..
I have the compact model. NXS 2.5x10. Illuminated reticle with ihr reticle. They have it looks like discontinued ihr reticle models. MOAR reticle would suffice.
My ihr reticle has .18 moa subtension (thickness). The MOAR reticle is slightly thinner with .14 moa subtension.
For squirrel hunting, knowing what I know about 17 hm2 ballistics, I could use MOAR reticle model 2.5x10 Nightforce Scope and never or hardly ever dial turrents for wind or hold over and do nicely on longer range squirrels.
My scope weighs in at 20.5 ounces.
Gotta watch the other models Nightforce, they can be too heavy for a squirrel hunting rig imo.
Honestly 10x (at least my scope) will get you out to 100 yards on squirrels.
Shooting squirrels farther say at 125 yards or even 150 yards some additional magnification would help.
14-16x would definitely work. With similar subtension reticles like I talk about above. Using Higher mag than 16x imo would make eye position too sensitive and field of view too narrow for squirrels.
Hm2 round will reach out there too.
I have made too many longer shots (80yards- 125 yards) on squirrels for it to be luck!!

Let’s say one bought the nxs model 2.5x10 with moar reticle.
Here’s what a person would see using in the field. Roughly.
Dielad to 10x (remember they are second plane scopes) the reticle reads true moa measurements.
So a 75 yard zero with center crosshair.
At 100 yards hold one moa using reticle
125 yards hold 2 moa high.
140 hold 3 moa high.
152 hold 4 moa high.

Now wind.
At 100 yards any noticeable crosswind hold 1 moa left or right depending.
Winds of 5 mph crosswind hold 2 moa left or right.
At 50 yards with 5 mph crosswind hold 1 moa left or right.

Now with wind at distance imo goal using hm2 is not head shoot p, but instead kill/harvest. No need to get cute. So one weighs their odds with stiffer winds. Squirrel position when presented shot opportunity can have great deal to do with shoot or not and where one holds on squirrel. Hm2 not a real meat destroyer past 70 yards. Not like the 17 hmr.

THe scope I have is pricey. Maybe not for some.
For approx $400 one should look hard at the element helix model. It has nice reticle. Lot a scope for bang for buck.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FFaC7s5QUSg

Hm2 flys flat enough to 125 yards.
One will hold little high (top of squirrel head) at distances of 15-40 yards. 45-80 hold dead on. 90 hold top edge or hold 1/2 moa high using moar reticle. 100 yards hold with small daylight or hold 1 moa. 110 hold top edge holding 1 moa high.
What I am saying is, you don’t have to remember all yardages as far as drop.
Just key numbers like 75, 100, 125. Thus if you get caught in the middle of these distances some slight hold over or under will suffice.
Hm2 drop is pretty linear out to 130 ish. Past 130 ish one has to be more exact and yes knowing more specific scope adjustments/holds will be necessary to be successful.

Remember squirrel hunting in woods or even fields with tree taking longer shots.
Even if you have a laser one will not many times be able to get exact yardage to squirrel. One may have to shoot tree trunk yet squirrel is in other side of tree, I.e. or one may have to laser another tree, etc in p or near area where squirrel is, hence yardage to intended target is only an estimate.
So hm2 will allow for more slop distance wise due to flatter trajectory.
Like I said above the mighty 22 lr changes a whole lot when shot at 100 yards vs even 105 yards. Be hard to nail down all squirrels innthe 90-110 yard ranges to less than5 yards with laser in the woods.
Plus using laser can waste precision time. One would need to use a laser on an ever closer 75 yard squirrel using 22 lr. With hm2 just get scope on the squirrel and poof.

Faster hm2 round is in barrel shorter time. So this faster exit can cover up some bad shooting form. Remember shooting form in the wild can be less than stellar due to conditions, etc.
Plus hm2 extra speed can be helpful if say a busy tail moves just as one pulls the trigger. Big advantage here vs 22 lr.

Hm2 round is smaller in diameter hence less chance of limb deflection. The bullet can pass through smaller places.
Hm2 round stays more on line of sight.
So one shooting a 100 yard squirrel with 22 lr.
The 22 lr shooter be be looking up around the 60 yard mark. A limb there could spell a miss on a bushy tail.

Last edited by squirrel1; 01-10-2021 at 07:29 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 08:12 AM
coontz74

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel1 View Post
I have the compact model. NXS 2.5x10. Illuminated reticle with ihr reticle. They have it looks like discontinued ihr reticle models. MOAR reticle would suffice.
My ihr reticle has .18 moa subtension (thickness). The MOAR reticle is slightly thinner with .14 moa subtension.
For squirrel hunting, knowing what I know about 17 hm2 ballistics, I could use MOAR reticle model 2.5x10 Nightforce Scope and never or hardly ever dial turrents for wind or hold over and do nicely on longer range squirrels.
My scope weighs in at 20.5 ounces.
Gotta watch the other models Nightforce, they can be too heavy for a squirrel hunting rig imo.
Honestly 10x (at least my scope) will get you out to 100 yards on squirrels.
Shooting squirrels farther say at 125 yards or even 150 yards some additional magnification would help.
14-16x would definitely work. With similar subtension reticles like I talk about above. Using Higher mag than 16x imo would make eye position too sensitive and field of view too narrow for squirrels.
Hm2 round will reach out there too.
I have made too many longer shots (80yards- 125 yards) on squirrels for it to be luck!!

Letís say one bought the nxs model 2.5x10 with moar reticle.
Hereís what a person would see using in the field. Roughly.
Dielad to 10x (remember they are second plane scopes) the reticle reads true moa measurements.
So a 75 yard zero with center crosshair.
At 100 yards hold one moa using reticle
125 yards hold 2 moa high.
140 hold 3 moa high.
152 hold 4 moa high.

Now wind.
At 100 yards any noticeable crosswind hold 1 moa left or right depending.
Winds of 5 mph crosswind hold 2 moa left or right.
At 50 yards with 5 mph crosswind hold 1 moa left or right.

Now with wind at distance imo goal using hm2 is not head shoot p, but instead kill/harvest. No need to get cute. So one weighs their odds with stiffer winds. Squirrel position when presented shot opportunity can have great deal to do with shoot or not and where one holds on squirrel. Hm2 not a real meat destroyer past 70 yards. Not like the 17 hmr.

THe scope I have is pricey. Maybe not for some.
For approx $400 one should look hard at the element helix model. It has nice reticle. Lot a scope for bang for buck.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=FFaC7s5QUSg

Hm2 flys flat enough to 125 yards.
One will hold little high (top of squirrel head) at distances of 15-40 yards. 45-80 hold dead on. 90 hold top edge or hold 1/2 moa high using moar reticle. 100 yards hold with small daylight or hold 1 moa. 110 hold top edge holding 1 moa high.
What I am saying is, you donít have to remember all yardages as far as drop.
Just key numbers like 75, 100, 125. Thus if you get caught in the middle of these distances some slight hold over or under will suffice.
Hm2 drop is pretty linear out to 130 ish. Past 130 ish one has to be more exact and yes knowing more specific scope adjustments/holds will be necessary to be successful.

Remember squirrel hunting in woods or even fields with tree taking longer shots.
Even if you have a laser one will not many times be able to get exact yardage to squirrel. One may have to shoot tree trunk yet squirrel is in other side of tree, I.e. or one may have to laser another tree, etc in p or near area where squirrel is, hence yardage to intended target is only an estimate.
So hm2 will allow for more slop distance wise due to flatter trajectory.
Like I said above the mighty 22 lr changes a whole lot when shot at 100 yards vs even 105 yards. Be hard to nail down all squirrels innthe 90-110 yard ranges to less than5 yards with laser in the woods.
Plus using laser can waste precision time. One would need to use a laser on an ever closer 75 yard squirrel using 22 lr. With hm2 just get scope on the squirrel and poof.

Faster hm2 round is in barrel shorter time. So this faster exit can cover up some bad shooting form. Remember shooting form in the wild can be less than stellar due to conditions, etc.
Plus hm2 extra speed can be helpful if say a busy tail moves just as one pulls the trigger. Big advantage here vs 22 lr.

Hm2 round is smaller in diameter hence less chance of limb deflection. The bullet can pass through smaller places.
Hm2 round stays more on line of sight.
So one shooting a 100 yard squirrel with 22 lr.
The 22 lr shooter be be looking up around the 60 yard mark. A limb there could spell a miss on a bushy tail.
Thank you for the detailed response and data. I know it has taken you some time to figure all of that out so I really appreciate you sharing.

I will be on the look out for the scopes you mentioned..
Old 01-11-2021, 08:21 AM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by coontz74 View Post
Thank you for the detailed response and data. I know it has taken you some time to figure all of that out so I really appreciate you sharing.

I will be on the look out for the scopes you mentioned..
You are welcome.
Old 01-11-2021, 02:22 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I have zero experience with the 17hm2.
Just how consistent is the cartridge for accuracy at 100 yards.
Examples posted show a fairly large spread compared to the 22lr.
Has me wondering if it can outperform the 17hmr or 22wmr?

This is a set of groups shot a 50 yards on the RFC 100 yard target.
Outer border measures 7.5 inches x 10 inches for reference.
Double the distance to 100 yards, expect triple that spread.

With that kind of spread, I wouldn't be attempting head shots, not even at 50 yards.

Last edited by jaia; 01-11-2021 at 02:34 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:04 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
I have zero experience with the 17hm2.
Just how consistent is the cartridge for accuracy at 100 yards.
Examples posted show a fairly large spread compared to the 22lr.
Has me wondering if it can outperform the 17hmr or 22wmr?

This is a set of groups shot a 50 yards on the RFC 100 yard target.
Outer border measures 7.5 inches x 10 inches for reference.
Double the distance to 100 yards, expect triple that spread.

With that kind of spread, I wouldn't be attempting head shots, not even at 50 yards.
I can base base my experiences with hm2 round based on what I have witnessed/done first hand.
Not all rifles will shoot as good as others. Applies to all rifles really.
I have a Anschutz 1710 22 lr. Notice it is in the closet. Wonder why?

Could hmr match or 22 magnum best the hm2? Sure.
But hm2 ammo cost less. It is not a squirrel hard on One’s ears while not earring hearing protection. And both of those tear up meat more. Or make squirrels nastier to pack around.
Since I have had my hm2 barrel think I have harvested around 1000 squirrels using.
I shot my hm2 on paper last year.
Distance if I remember correctly was 178 yards checked with laser.
You be the judge.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6LNeD0hQ8tg
Old 01-11-2021, 03:09 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
That's why I'm asking Squirrel1.

Zero experience with the cartridge.
Most of the results posted are of a single 5 shot group.
You know how I am about random acts of accuracy.

Large sample groups show some serious spread at 100 yards.
At 200 yards the cartridge shows keyholing.

Last edited by jaia; 01-11-2021 at 03:12 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:13 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
That's why I'm asking Squirrel1.

Zero experience with the cartridge.
Most of the results posted are of a single 5 shot group.
You know how I am about random acts of accuracy.

Large sample groups show some serious spread at 100 yards.
At 200 yards the cartridge shows keyholing.
Ok.
Check out these threads.
I posted pics.
HIGH percentage of squirrels head shot.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1209835
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1207315

Last edited by squirrel1; 01-11-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-11-2021, 03:19 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The reasons I ask...

CCI 17 grain V-Max Link to post

Hornady 17 grain V-Max Link to post

CCI 17 grain Vmax 17hm2 Link to post

Those are some of the few posts where it wasn't a cherry picked group.
You can understand why I asked the question.

Last edited by jaia; 01-11-2021 at 03:24 PM.