Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Any new Lithgow LA101 news/developments ?

17K views 71 replies 26 participants last post by  Lowey 
#1 ·
Thinking of getting one (synthetic stock) in .22LR.

Some issues with feeding and less-than-optimal machining (tool marks) some years ago. All been resolved ?

(I know about the post-2016 magazine with metal follower which evidently solved the feeding issue ?)

Cheers,

capeboer
Cape Town,
South Africa

#2 ·
If my LH LA101 -bought November , 2019 - is anything to go by then the feeding problems have be solved ; as for poor machining I can find no evidence of it on the rifle I have. If you elect to buy a Lithgow be aware that after market stuff is much more readily available in the "titanium" finish rather than the black finish. My take on the Lithgow is that "it is like a Ruger American Rimfire on steroids that is built to and shoots to Anschutz standards."

#5 ·
Our local gunsmith has high regard for Lithgow. He tells that any warranty probs that occur the company is onto it no arguments.
I have an early 101 and had the devil to sort out the stove-piping of rounds from magazines. But, I sorted it out and kept up a correspondence with lithgow during this time. They were very pleased that i did so and sent me a hat!
Buy yourself a Lithgow they are very accurate and well made.
There is a company here in Oz called "Acme Firearms" that make after market magazines for the Lithgow. These are 10 shot. There are two types I have found the more expensive ones are the best. My 101 has a preference for HV ammo and this includes any of target variety's.

#12 ·
Starting to love mine (laminate stock).

Was fussy, have since relieved the barrel channel on one side just ahead of the knox to give a better float and moved up + differing torque on front and rear action screws. New batch of SK rifle match, all seems to have had some effect.

I've also added the Lumley bolt knob, much better in handling than the factory. Gives more to 'hook' on to when shooting offhand in particular.

#14 ·
The scope is a Weaver T36 -- fixed power 36x -- that I bought used off of the Trading Post here. The rings are Burris Signature rings I think, and I believe the mounts came with the rifle. It is a nice little rig, and is not particularly ammo-picky.

#15 · (Edited)
Capeboer...I have a couple.

These are good rim fires and mine have proved to be ultra reliable over thousands of rounds. Like all mass produced fire arms, there have been a few "whinges" about quality control since they were introduced but I've seen very few complaints on local forums over the past few years.

I've done a full build on the laminated rifle which is the most consistently accurate 22 sporter I've owned. The walnut/black rifle has a few up-grades and will run with my Anschutz 1710's. If my new Vudoo is even close to these as far as function & accuracy goes, I will be satisfied.

I use Burris Signature zee rings with the insert kits which will fit the LA101 factory bases and the inserts give me heaps of windage & elevation options when mounting scopes.

https://australiantacticalprecision...s-signature-zee-picatinny-weaver-scope-rings/

These magazines have worked well for me but export restrictions make these types of items very hard to obtain ex Aus.

https://precisiondefenceindustries.com/product/ideal-small-arms-22lr-magazine/

Here's a couple of pics...Attached target typical of the black rifle - The build will comfortably outshoot this:bthumb:

#24 ·
Got to take the Lithgow out to the range today(12deg.C), sighting groups hovering around 1/2" with a slight horizontal bias and exactly where I left it last fall but 1" low - the ambient temperature accounts for this. After I finished checking the sight in I took to busting clay pigeons and then the pieces , this rifle brings smiles to your face -90%+ hit ratio on the pieces some that were not much bigger than a 25 cent coin. All shooting was done at 50yds. from the prone position using older Winchester Power Points. When it warms up some more I will take the rifle out and try some match ammo - Eley Tenex , RWS R50 and Federal Gold Medal 900 - can't wait to see what the rifle will do. If my posting skills allow will try to get some pics up of both the rifle and targets.

#26 · (Edited)
Good news all, ppipe !

You are helping my decision to commence with the purchase process . . .

There is currently no Lithgow Arms distributor in South Africa; however, one is currently in the process of being appointed.

Patience is, however, required -- as we are talking months, not weeks. And then more time (of indeterminate length) for the stock to actually arrive.

And then at least 6 months to get my licence from the SAPS.

#32 · (Edited)
Love the Lithgow and have had it for a few years now

Comparison of Accuracy to a Vudoo --- ton of targets
http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=6493

Comparison of accuracy Lithgow to CZ455 with Lothar Walther Barrel -- ton of ammo and targets
http://www.dayattherange.com/?page_id=7534

Since we are talking about Lithgow here check out 22 Dayattherange Challenge
http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=6987
And Let's form a Lithgow team. I will create a dedicated page in the challenge to Lithgow where we can post all of our pictures of rifles and targets.

What do you all think about a teams challenge
Lithgow
CZ
Vudoo
Bergara
Kimber
Winchester
Ruger
and others?

Shot the Lithgow with Norma Match 22 I put a survey up asking which rifle everyone wanted to see and it was overwhelming the call for Lithgow.

#36 ·
If this is correct get one while you can. Just came home from the range on a windy day. Best group of 5 at 50 yards is .257 . Without the flyer it is .133 . I have the plastic stocked one with a 3x9 power SWFA scope and the bags I am using don't fit perfectly. I am not a very good shot learning to figure the wind. Used Wolf ammo of recent English production which works great int he Lithgow and crummy in my CZ.

This is a great rifle. My trigger is about 3 pounds. Just makes one concentrate more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.