Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

cm-2 build

23K views 45 replies 18 participants last post by  jrsbike 
#1 · (Edited)
Well i decided to heavily modify my cm-2. I'm going to turn it into a heavy bench rest gun. I'm going to widen and reshape the front end of stock. I would like to make an adjustable cheek piece. I like the design of the 2013 Anschutz bench Here's a photo.

The semi-pistol grip does not fit my hand well. I think i wold like to remove a good amount of wood, and make a personalized grip out of 3m void filling compound. Its really strong stuff. I have never attempted any rifle project quite this big on a gun. I hope it turns out well.

Here are some pictures of the stock before I glued it back together.

The crack was completely through the stock. The only thing holding it together was a machine screw someone put through the grip in the past.

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o538/Kurt_Bendlin/104_0523.jpg[/IMG

It took quite a lot of effort to get that screw out. I ended up having to drill a hole next to it and wiggled it out.

Here is a picture of the box for the epoxy I used to glue the stock.

[IMG]http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o538/Kurt_Bendlin/104_0526.jpg

The epoxy worked very well, it takes 48 hours to fully cure and has a nice work time too. It takes about 90 minutes before it tacks. I chose this epoxy for its strength, flexibility, and work time.

Here is a picture of the rifle while it was clamped. I used a stack of washers inside of the action inlet to prevent denting the wood. There are many holes to be filled still.

Straight lines did not exist on this stock. The closest thing to straight was the top of the barrel channel. I used this as a reference to start trying to get the front end of the stock somewhat square. My father "bobleeswagger" has been an immense help in working on this project. We got out his shopsmith that had not run in over 20 years and used it to do the work on the front end. I was impressed at how well the machine still worked. We found it easiest to use a sander to remove the bulk of the wood instead of the saw. Here are more photos.

It took a little engineering to get the stock to feed through the sander correctly. We tacked a straight board on the side of the stock to help line things up.

Here is the stock looking much more square. Now she is ready for me to glue on more boards.

I was in the garage later on that night working on the stock and our leaky air compressor came on. the noise from the compressor scared a baby opossum out from underneath the work bench!!! I told my girlfriend who is crazy about animals there was an opossum in the garage and she decided to catch it (against my advice, those things are mean when they wanna be...). But we did get a good picture before we let him go outside.

I have a lot more to do on the gun. I'll post more later. Please feel free to give suggestions. I saw the ural that Ret built in the sticky index. i was wondering how that soft bedding came out. Did it improve accuracy?

Later, Kurt

See less See more
#29 ·
Done for now....

I have finally decided that i am finished for now. I may make more changes in the future.

The finish looks good, but not as good as i would have liked. Dad made a good point too, this gun isn't getting hung on the wall its going to be shot every week at least. I am sure that I will scratch the stock the first time out

I guess i have a lot to learn about painting.

So heres the final pics unless anyone wants to see more from the build

http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o538/Kurt_Bendlin/104_0690.jpg[/IMG

[IMG]http://i1146.photobucket.com/albums/o538/Kurt_Bendlin/104_0691.jpg

There she is, I wanted to stencil cm-2 on the butt and vostok on the sides but I have become impatient with this project.

I WANNA SHOOT IT. :Blasting_

I hope y'all enjoyed watching this project. I know im a rookie but I'm happy overall with the outcome. Let me know what y'all think

Thanks,
Kurt

#30 ·
I have finally decided that i am finished for now. I may make more changes in the future.

The finish looks good, but not as good as i would have liked. Dad made a good point too, this gun isn't getting hung on the wall its going to be shot every week at least. I am sure that I will scratch the stock the first time out

I guess i have a lot to learn about painting.

So heres the final pics unless anyone wants to see more from the build

There she is, I wanted to stencil cm-2 on the butt and vostok on the sides but I have become impatient with this project.

I WANNA SHOOT IT. :Blasting_

I hope y'all enjoyed watching this project. I know im a rookie but I'm happy overall with the outcome. Let me know what y'all think

Thanks,
Kurt
Looks pretty impressive, to me! Now, I'd like to see what groups you can get with the flat forestock. That, and your next build, which I'm sure will be even more awesome.

#31 ·
we shall see....

I do believe that in the future i will shoot a 250 on the usbr target at 50 yds with this gun.

But i don't know for sure. i can only hope. My father has a ural-2 and my gun shoots identically so far. The ural shot a 100-9x at 25 yards. I can only hope that i can do that with mine :bthumb:

#32 ·
The wrap up

I am pleased with the way the rifle came out and shoots. I figured I would post a target and let y'all know how long it took and how much I spent.

This target was shot using federals 922a ammo. It's a mid priced match grade ammo (about $11 a box). I believe that this ammo is actually RWS R-50 that did not quite make the cut for whatever reason, and it does has an occasional "flyer" of about .2 inches at 25 yards (a few per box). I have been shooting rimfire benchrest for less than 6 month's so I am by no means an expert shooter. My father also shot the same score with this rifle.

The rifle shoots groups averaging less than .15 inch center to center at 25 yards. Some groups are so small I find it difficult to measure them center to center as they appear to be only 1 hole.

I am extremely pleased with how she shoots.

Now about the build.

The rifle cost me $229 from CDNN with a cracked stock. Plus shipping (about $20) and a $20 transfer. I was lucky enough to have my fathers help with the build, He also helped me by providing many of my supplies. If one had to go out and buy the supplies (Epoxy, Bondo, Filler Putty, Paint Etc.) in smaller amounts I think it would total less than $75 dollars. I also bought a $70 dollar centerpoint scope from Wal-Mart. And i got lucky with the mounts too. I have A gamo break barrel air rifle that is terribly inaccurate. But the mounts on it happened to be 11mm. I stole that mount for my rifle. My dad bought a no drill mount for his rifle for about $35 I think.

TOTAL SPENT (including my freebies): $449 Approx.

I am not a woodworker, most of what I have done with wood has been things like structural framing. I do have a lot of general experience as a mechanic and I have quite a shop in my garage (Drill press, Lathe, Shopsmith, Etc.). Like a lot of he people that will read this I feel I can fix most things. I made a Lot of mistakes along the way. With patience and extra work they were all repairable. It took about 3 weeks to finish the build. Most of that was curing time. I guess i put about 30 hours of real work into the gun.

The main reason I'm posting all this is to show that with time and effort many people could build a great rifle for relatively little money. I feel that my rifle is capable of shooting right with some of the rifles I have seen costing more than 3 times as much.

#37 ·
Wow

That turned out beautifully, all that work looks like it was well worth it!

And I am just a little envious of the accuracy.

Just curious, though--did you ever consider bridging over the top of the thumb knuckle to make a "thumbhole" design, to add more strength to the stock at that narrow spot? (Or did you just not care for that style?)

Congrats on a very nice build and finish

#38 ·
I do not care for it

From what I have read one should not wrap there thumb around the grip in bench shooting. It is better to have the thumb vertical or parallel with the barrel from what I understand. I also believe the grip is stronger than it needs to be now.

Thanks for the kind words Dave
much appreciated,
Kurt

#39 ·
Nice job man, i will probably steal the idea from you with the tubes behind the but-plate to make the stock longer to fit it better to my long arms.
Please show some targets on 50 yards and tell us the setup you used - scope, ammunition, tuner setting if you add one, rests aso.

#43 ·
Why does just about every picture on this board have to be viewed using photobucket? It would be nice to see this project via the pictures but I am certainly not spending $100 for a photo bucket subscription! Then on top of all that you can’t upgrade your membership due to paypal issues that have seemingly gone on forever. Great article in write up but kind of useless without pics! There is so much to lean on this website but it does seem like the owner, of it is having difficulty with upgrading or some other problems!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.