1973 Winchester 94 30/30 , too nice to shoot? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:55 PM
Ike838

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1973 Winchester 94 30/30 , too nice to shoot?

Just picked up a 1973 Winchester 94 that is flawless. Guy I bought it from was a cop who had it for less than a year after buying off the original owner. Claims he never shot it and the original owner put one box through it and put it in the back of the safe.
Sell it or keep it? If I keep it I will use it and scratch it eventually but enjoy a nice quality rifle for the rest of my life. Though I must admit I'm not a big 30/30 fan.
If I'm going to sell it on the other hand to some collector should I sit on it for a couple of years or sell now?
Generally don't believe in selling off firearms but don't need another safe queen either.
So I guess my question boils down to what is a very,very nice 30/30 worth with no box? I don't mind using it and shooting away a few hundred dollars worth of value but would hate to find out it was worth $xxx if left it alone. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:12 PM
PlinksAlot
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Read this.https://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/20...94-rifles.html
Gun prices are all high right now. You didn't mention the asking price. But that year is in the bottom of the M94 production. As a shooter fine but not on the high end. Good luck.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:23 PM
Ike838

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlinksAlot View Post
Read this.https://tincanbandit.blogspot.com/20...94-rifles.html
Gun prices are all high right now. You didn't mention the asking price. But that year is in the bottom of the M94 production. As a shooter fine but not on the high end. Good luck.
Thanks for the link. Looks like making it one of my shooters won't make people cry.
I paid $600 and think I did ok with my limited knowledge.
If it is a $600-800 gun I'm happy. Now if people think it worth bigger bucks that makes me question using it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2021, 06:40 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike838 View Post
Just picked up a 1973 Winchester 94 that is flawless. Guy I bought it from was a cop who had it for less than a year after buying off the original owner. Claims he never shot it and the original owner put one box through it and put it in the back of the safe.
Sell it or keep it? If I keep it I will use it and scratch it eventually but enjoy a nice quality rifle for the rest of my life. Though I must admit I'm not a big 30/30 fan.
If I'm going to sell it on the other hand to some collector should I sit on it for a couple of years or sell now?
Generally don't believe in selling off firearms but don't need another safe queen either.
So I guess my question boils down to what is a very,very nice 30/30 worth with no box? I don't mind using it and shooting away a few hundred dollars worth of value but would hate to find out it was worth $xxx if left it alone. Thanks for your thoughts.
sorry to rain on your parade, but its been shot at the factory....

so if you shoot or not, its really not a big difference or big deal to me.

You dont say if its a pre 64 or? But depending on what it is there maybe more of a collection appeal to someone if its a pre-64 vs not.

the way im wired is that i buy what i like more or less. If its something like an odd ball caliber not in my caliber vocabulary, then i will pass. Even if its a good deal, i just let someone else have the fun and enjoy or flip it.

If you have the ca-ching, $$$ signs in your eyes then just realize if you sell it now, you may lose money down the road. Just as if you were to sell it later down the road, chances are, it may bring more money later. you can go down that rabbit hole if you want, but the last time i checked, you cant take it with you. If $$$ isnt an issue then leave it in the safe for a while and see where it goes.

If you want to get some idea on value/price, you can look at the various gun auctions/selling sites. Note that some may require you to join and so you can do a better search such as for what its sold for or what people have actually paid. There is also the bluebook too and other gun books of values, but i look at them as a "snapshot" in time and dont reflect whats hot at the moment or tomorrow.

for whats its worth i grew up watching westerns (sort of dates me) but i love them and the nostalgia that goes along with them. So a nice/good lever action is part of my collection and with them some single actions. For the younger generation, they may like the tupperware, semi autos and so forth, but i like the old single actions/revolvers too. Probably more so. While i do have some tupperware in my collection its hard not to now adays since they are inexpensive to produce (read more profit) and its the way things are heading.

good luck

Last edited by bangbang; 07-25-2021 at 06:45 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:52 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I would shoot it.

It isnít a pre 1964 so it was manufactured with sintered steel. You canít re-blue it and it has limited collector value.

I try to find the Angle Eject models because they have forged receivers and are as good or better than the pre 1964 models. They just donít have the collector value, so they are cheaper than the pre 1964s.

The version you have is an awesome shooter. I know mine is.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:21 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
It it not a collector '94 and has been shot too much to call it LNIB 'cause it aint and you dont have the box, papers, etc.
With that understood you will get it that over time it aint even going to keep up with inflation IF its sale-able price goes up.
Its a shooter and a 30-30 with cast lead bullets can be handloaded from 32-20 lead pills to mid-velo 150-160gr lead to HV full-house + with ballistically superior spire-point bullets if you load one in the chamber and one in the tube.
T. Roosevelt thought it a 'fine small-bore express'. It still is.
And as nice as you say it is I wouldnt trade my well worn 1948 '94 Saddle-Gun for it.
Old 07-25-2021, 07:24 PM
Ike838

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After seeing your replies I will just enjoy it for what it is. Didn't plan on retiring with the profits of selling it but just wanted to check if putting the first scratch in it would be sacrilegious and regretful.
Old 08-08-2021, 08:37 AM
JB in SC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a new Winchester 94 in 1972, $74.95. The Ď72 had a better carrier than those from Post Ď64 til Ď71 and better walnut. Mine would cloverleaf at 50 yards with a Williams Fool Proof and a Redfield Sourdough front sight. The guy I sold it to still has it, and wonít part with it.

Shoot itÖ.
Old 08-08-2021, 10:41 AM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Those post 1964, pre Angle Eject make great shooters. Mine was also very accurate for a 30-30. Plenty good for deer hunting.
Old 08-16-2021, 02:31 PM
bangbang

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ike838 View Post
After seeing your replies I will just enjoy it for what it is. Didn't plan on retiring with the profits of selling it but just wanted to check if putting the first scratch in it would be sacrilegious and regretful.
Something you may want to keep in mind....

> if its 100% yours, its yours to do as you please...even if you wanted to paint it a puke lime green or to turn it into a black "tactic cool" saddle gun and maybe paint your horse the same color. Its yours. even though others may feel different and have a different idea, its yours.

> as to the scratch and such things. to me, i look at if its been ABUSED vs USED. Abused will tell me alot about the previous owners/owner and so i would walk away form that gun if its being sold and anything else that person may have possessed and wants to sell.

> scratches here are there? Look at your hide and see if you have any scars/holes/dents and dings. Even if you keep it as a "safe queen" depending on how you store your other toys in there, it may end up getting some dings/scratches...ect. Its a result of HOW you store your toys. Even from a factory you could have scrathces/dings on an OTS gun too.

> all of those worries are on you and will depend on your endgame.

> im sure if you bought a new - used - car, you would probably baby it too even with any scratches/dents..ect. But after putting in the 1st one im sure you wont like it even with the other marks. But its something that maybe in everyone to some degree. Its something that is again on you and you will have to get over when it happens. On my first gun an 22LR 85 buck repeater, i was babying that gun for years until i got my 1st ding. I probably put more elbow grease into that 85 buck repeater than it was worth, but i wanted it pretty. Have your fun while it lasts and move on.

good luck
Old 08-18-2021, 12:30 PM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
I agree with the people who advise you to use it. Lever rifles, especially iron sighted are very handy to carry in the field.

Like you said though, I would wish for a more versatile round. Nothing at all wrong with a 30-30 for big game hunting and knocking about, but a .357 Magnum would be more year round useful to me.

Have fun with it.
Old 08-19-2021, 10:46 AM
farm boy
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It has already been shot by the first owner, so this eliminates the never been shot. It doesn't have the box or paperwork, so collector value is lowered. Not a limited production firearm or anything special about it. Simply put it is a used gun that looks good. What good is it to have and maybe look at it once in a while? A minor scratch or ding will happen sooner or later to most firearms whether shooting or just removing from the safe. I say shoot and enjoy.
Old 08-19-2021, 07:57 PM
Wanderson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ď73 mod. 94

I still have my Dadís Ď73 mod. 94, a great gun but never been valuable like the pre-64s. Up until a few years ago it wasnít hard to find a good one for under $300. I donít think theyíll ever be big $$$ guns, they made a lot of them.
My dad hunted with this one since the mid 70s, and he didnít baby it. Itís got some rust & scratches but never failed.
One year he swore he missed a deer cause a branch deflected his shot. So for Xmas I bought him a Winchester .308 featherweight bolt action. He used it for one season and went back to the 94.
I had a Marlin 336 for a while, a great rifle but that mod. 94 is just so much lighter & thinner, easy to carry.
Old 08-24-2021, 06:12 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wanderson View Post
So for Xmas I bought him a Winchester .308 featherweight bolt action. He used it for one season and went back to the 94.
My Dad did the same thing. Somewhere in the 1980's, he bought a 94 Winchester .307 Winchester Big Bore XTR, but he didn't warm up to the rifle. Heavier, more recoil and it just didn't feel like the same rifle, even though it had many simularities to his old 94. He went back to that with no regrets.