Legendary rifles - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-19-2020, 11:51 AM
shootrj2003
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Legendary rifles

I often see magazine articles on subjects like 10 best squirrel rifles or most legendary rifles ,rarely do I see the JCH 30and 31,s pictured or mentioned even when older rifles are discussed yet,the quality of these rifles is right on par with Marlin ,Browning,Winchester and we're talking thier best offerings not their beechwood budget offerings meaning the 39a,Browning semi,Winchesterlever .22,etc,if anything I am a Marlin guy however I am not averse to giving credit where credit is due,and while I own many of the aforementioned " budget offerings I well know the difference between well made rifles and not so costly well made AND then there is the general today's run of the mill offerings that would never have been looked at if offered next to a new mod.30 or31,but I digress.(the ramblings of a true gunnut) .
What my point is,is that how is it that such a fine piece of guncraft as these is familiar to only a select few and yet 90% of those select few are totally enamored of it and are cognizant of it's quality,and what's more,when someone unfamiliar with it finally does come in contact with one,they are nearly always attracted to it and it's craftsmanship?If one sees a Marlin 39a from the 50's,one knows it is quality.Similarly when one sees a 30 or a 31 it is quality - they know this if they look,yet it seems as if these rifles were lost in time,the very first look is what is that?something a bit different,strange,but,compelling almost an alien quality with those side slats but beautiful,sleek and we'll made of top grade materials,that was my first impression probably 20 years ago anyway, aMarlin guy but these are definitely on par.just thought I would say something about these rifles and their impression on me.
Old 02-19-2020, 12:47 PM
Ynned

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Wow. A lot of love for Mr Higgins' rifles today. Made me want to get mine out in the sun, even though I'm stuck in a no fire zone (the village in which I live) and can't shoot it, so I took some pics.

I first posted it a couple weeks ago in this thread; here's some better pics. The forum only allows 5 attachments per post, and I took more pics. Here's a link to the rest ( I hope).

P2194253.JPG

P2194263.JPG

P2194265.JPG

P2194258.JPG

P2194268.JPG

Last edited by Ynned; 02-19-2020 at 12:59 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 03:40 PM
Dcarey51
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Spooky! I was just looking at one in my local shop today!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-19-2020, 04:06 PM
Arlon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Saw one like that one pictured last weekend, had no idea what it really was. Pretty neat!
Old 02-19-2020, 04:20 PM
scooter22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Central NY, The good part, not the rotten apple
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I've always liked the HS/JC Higgins rifles. I've almost bought one of the models multiple times. But there was something else in the rack that I wanted more. I'm still looking for a good deal on a nice rifle. BUT I did pick up this Sport King S-102 carbine that I got for a steal. Nice little gun you never see.

Last edited by scooter22; 02-19-2020 at 05:36 PM.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:11 PM
Sagittarius

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's a cool looking rifle.
Old 02-19-2020, 05:47 PM
Ynned

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What little I can tell of the action looks similar. Bolt handle in particular.
Old 02-20-2020, 07:04 AM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I didn't know much about these except when I started reading about them on RFC. Not much info out there. I was really intrigued by the wood side panels over the receiver. I saw one at a gun show but the retractable sling was missing so I didn't buy it. Then I stopped in a pawn shop and they had this Model 36 (no sling) almost like new for $150. I've been impressed by the accuracy of this little semi-auto. I wonder why High Standard didn't offer this rifle under its own name.[IMG][/IMG]
Old 02-20-2020, 08:23 AM
GladesGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's probably because JC Higgins/Ted Williams Sears brands were not made by Sears. Most of the rimfires were made by High Standard and their excellent centerfire bolt action rifles were Belgian made mauser actions by FN, with HS barrels. Winchester made their lever action rifles. Another reason is that the real manufacturers usually made the Sears version in a cheaper version, ie lesster quality walnut in the stocks.
Old 02-20-2020, 08:38 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I've also always been intrigued by this rifle, looked at one this weekend at a show. If I didn't have so many squirrel rifles I might have to buy one. May have to anyway.
Old 02-20-2020, 09:52 AM
Ontarian50

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"10 best squirrel rifles"? Hmmm.
That term implies a lot of nostalgia, doesn't it? Probably more squirrels have been felled by single shot .22s with hardware store branding, than all the semi autos combined. Still, a young fellow out in the woods in 1955 or so with his single shot would have dreamed of carrying a .... ?
I think for a rifle to make that top 10 list, I think it would have to proudly bear the name of the manufacturer. You'd want the best from Marlin, Winchester, Remington, etc. A Japanese made Browning is a nice gun, but wouldn't make the cut. Neither would a High Standard hiding under a Sears brand, I guess.
Not that they aren't all fine rifles and well suited to the purpose. But to make that top 10 list they need that pride of ownership and manufacture, and I guess re-branding takes the edge off that.
Old 02-21-2020, 07:32 AM
dotchief
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
SG

ALWAYS a pleasure to learn about the history of High Standard. I appreciate the info and hold it the "computer bank." Thanks again!!

Pat G
Old 02-21-2020, 07:41 AM
dlay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My first rifle was a winchester mod 75 sporter also, still have it after 65 years. My dad gave to to me for xmas when I was 11 years old.
Old 02-21-2020, 10:00 AM
Ontarian50

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGVictor View Post
I would suggest that High Standard have just as valid a pedigree as some of the other better thought of manufacturers. High Standard is one of the few gun companies that did not go bankrupt. Marlin, Winchester, and Remington certainly did. Undoubtedly High Standard would have gone bankrupt had the not gone through an orderly dissolution in late 1984.
Totally agree. I just consider that the "J.C. Higgins" branding takes the edge off the pedigree of an otherwise fine rifle. Perhaps if it weren't for the Sears branding, High Standard might be better known as more than a maker of .22 competition pistols.

The revolvers, derringers, rifles and shotguns were made in decent numbers, but seem to be largely forgotten or ignored by the firearms community nowadays (except of course, right here, on the HS forum!).
It may also be that, up here in Canada, the High Standard long arms weren't sold as widely. In the last few gun shows, I've tried to keep an eye out for a High Standard or J.C. Higgins shotgun or rifle, but so far haven't spotted even one.
Old 02-22-2020, 07:12 PM
Arlon

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Went to a local gun show today. Noticed a model 31 on a table and now after reading this forum I actually knew what it was. I like the idea that it might run with shorts or maybe CCI Quiets so I can shoot it in the yard. Picked it up for pretty cheap.. I'll try to give it a "smoke test" tomorrow.

Cycled CCI Quiets flawlessly. Only shooting cans at 50 yds but it seem pretty capable.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg x209_8991.jpg (145.2 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Arlon; 03-02-2020 at 08:04 PM.