Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 10-29-2017, 02:21 PM
WltzTngFxtrt
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Trigger reset problem on Supermatic Trophy M103

Hi - newbie here.

I've had in my possession a Supermatic Trophy model 103 for a few years. Based on research found on this forum, it is a 1960-1961 year. The pistol is in great condition, with the most amazing bluing I have seen. It's missing the barrel weights. I've not shot it yet because the trigger does not reset when I test with snap caps. I have to manually push the trigger forward after manually racking the slide. The ejector works great and I now have snap caps all over the place.

Does anyone have an idea why this trigger will not reset? The adjustable trigger screw rotates and clicks. Everything else is functional.

I looked over the sticky post videos on the takedowns of teh Victor and they are great. So I ventured in a bit, gave it a good cleaning. The sear bar is good, but that is about as far as I went. I am no armorer, but could do something simple if I know what to look for.

If it is not simple, I am looking for an experienced High Standard gunsmith (preferably in CT) to make the repair.

Ideas?
Old 11-05-2017, 07:35 PM
jim gray
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
trigger reset

remove the left grip and then the side plate,check to make sure the sear bar return spring is in place.if not it was probably because the side plate screw was loose. The other cause is some times the sear bar pin sticks to the hole in the trigger and doesn't rotate as it should.If the sear bar doesn't fall free in your hand when you tap the barrel an the left side. then oil the pin and slip a piece of dental floss under the sear bar and work it to the front as far as possible. Then hold the trigger in place and try to move the sear bar up and down while trying to pull it off. It won't move far.but it will eventually move and come off. This problem is most common on the 106 but I have seen it on other models Use apiece of fine emery cloth to smooth up the pin then oil and replace Be sure the sear bar spring has first been removed.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:17 AM
WltzTngFxtrt

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks Jim. I just say your reply as I have not returned to the site in a few weeks. I just reposted the same question above so i thank-you.

I'll give that your suggestion on the sear bar a try. It's something I feel comfortable doing!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2017, 04:51 PM
dlay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Put a drop or two of kroil oil on the trigger pin and work it and let it set a while. I have fixed a few like this. If not used for a while they may gum up and stick.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:33 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When you pull the trigger the sear bar/disconnector pulls the sear to the point where the end of the sear bar allows the sear to release the hammer. As the slide travels to the rear a bump on the sear bar/disconnector is pushed down by the slide, disconnecting the sear bar from the sear. This is the disconnector function and it allow the sear to capture the hammer in recoil.

The sear bar/disconnector is spring loaded by a "V" spring that also acts as the trigger return spring. It pushes on the sear bar vertically and pushes on the sear bar horizontally to return the trigger forward. If that "V" spring is missing or broken or not installed correctly the trigger will not reset. Of course the connection to the trigger can not be seized up and must be free to move.

LDBennett
Old 09-02-2019, 03:47 PM
Newtire
US Navy Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by WltzTngFxtrt View Post
Hi - newbie here.

I've had in my possession a Supermatic Trophy model 103 for a few years. Based on research found on this forum, it is a 1960-1961 year. The pistol is in great condition, with the most amazing bluing I have seen. It's missing the barrel weights. I've not shot it yet because the trigger does not reset when I test with snap caps. I have to manually push the trigger forward after manually racking the slide. The ejector works great and I now have snap caps all over the place.

Does anyone have an idea why this trigger will not reset? The adjustable trigger screw rotates and clicks. Everything else is functional.

I looked over the sticky post videos on the takedowns of teh Victor and they are great. So I ventured in a bit, gave it a good cleaning. The sear bar is good, but that is about as far as I went. I am no armorer, but could do something simple if I know what to look for.

If it is not simple, I am looking for an experienced High Standard gunsmith (preferably in CT) to make the repair.

Ideas?
Hi,
Here's just to say thanks for all the info that lead to my fixing my newly acquired Citation. I also had this trigger-not-returning problem and now, chiefly due to information from this group, it is fixed. In the process, I learned a lot about the ins and outs of this gun without losing anything and have a fully functional target pistol.

I used the dental floss under the sear bar trick but, due to the dental floss slipping out of my fingers, I switched to mono-filament fishing line and got it out. Still, I never would have thought of this until I read about the dental floss technique here. That little sear bar/trigger return spring needs all the help it can get. Getting all that crud out of the recesses and polishing up the parts sure made it work great. I smeared a little polishing compound on one of my punches that just fit the pivot hole in the trigger, chucked it into my trusty Makita drill and smoothed up the hole as well as cleaned up the outside of the pin. I smoothed up the side of the trigger and cleaned out all the junk in the recess where the trigger fits.

I had an idea that might work to replace that little spring. There's only a little more spring in a small safety pin that fits in place of that spring. If you snipped off the ends of the pin so that it would it just fit and bent the end that rides against the sear bar just a little bit so it wouldn't slip under , I'll bet it might work as a replacement. Anyone ever try this? Oh well, just a thought.

I fired it this morning for the first time and it ran thru 3-magazines without a hitch. I would have stuck around longer but a couple of guys insisted on setting up an air cooled Browning machine gun about a foot away from my bench. I would have stuck around to watch it shoot but these guys weren't the friendliest guys I've ever met so I left. Oh well, there will be plenty of other days. I stopped into the local Bi-mart and cleaned out their supply of CCI Standard Velocity 1070 fps stuff on my way home for the next times!

Anyways, thanks for posting all the great info.