Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-24-2019, 10:44 PM
SRV1

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
My 107 Supermatic Tournament

Are the 107's good? I do not see that many out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20190704_172703_1577248995158.jpg (187.3 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg 20190704_173002_1577249026368.jpg (205.1 KB, 26 views)
Old 12-25-2019, 06:31 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It appears (??) to be a Hamden Connecticut gun which is more collectable and may reflect a better value when and if you sell it (that is, over a 107 from East Hartford). It also is more valuable if it is NOT an ML version (serial number). The Tournament is not the top of the line (Trophy and Victor are) but I have not seen posted here that any particular model of the Hi Std target guns was more accurate than the next Hi Std gun (with the exception of the virtually custom made 10-X). You got more bling and perhaps an adjustable trigger with the more expensive models.

Hi Std's can be finicky guns. They REQUIRE regular (every 10 to 15 thousand rounds) recoil spring replacements and you can only use Standard Velocity ammo or you risk cracking the frame. The magazines control the ammo feeding to a much higher degree than almost any other gun. The magazine lips have to hand off the cartridge to the chamber exactly as there is only a tiny feed ramp that does little to help. So magazine lip adjustments initially are super critical. The best magazines are originals if they are in good shape. The worst are the common gun show Triple K magazines. Alan Aronstein of interterms tx.com sells the best new magazines and they come with lip adjustments that work out of the box for MOST guns but not all.

The trigger in a Hi Std target gun is probably the best anywhere (yes, better than the S&W Model 41). The accuracy is stellar. The feel of the gun in the hand is superb for this type of gun but there are after market grips still available (Herret, I think) that simulate Olympic style grips.

If it is a plinker gun that you want buy a Ruger MK gun or a Browning Buckmark. But if you want a superb Target and competition gun then it is hard to beat a good old Hi Std.

LDBennett
Old 12-25-2019, 05:31 PM
SRV1

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
LDBennett. The serial number does not start with the prefix "ML". Also, the rears sight, everyone I seen has the rear sight mounted on the frame for the 107 and the 106 had it on the slide like mine does.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2019, 09:21 PM
civil1977

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For both the 106 and 107, the Tournament has the rear sight mounted on the slide and the Trophy and Citation have the rear sight mounted on a bridge.
Old 12-25-2019, 09:49 PM
OldDave
US Marines

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My father RIP was a very successful 3 pistol bullseye competitor in the late 50's and early 60's. He always used the HS Tournament in competition and said it shot just as good as the bridged sight models. I still have his tournament pistol. He was the only NRA rated master in Missouri at that point and was asked to join the National Guard team. He also got a letter from the Olympic committee inviting him to try outs. With a family he never had the time or money to compete full time or go to Camp Perry but did go to the regionals in Illinois just before Camp Perry. The trophy he was most proud of was the last year he went to the regionals. He did not shoot as well as he wanted but he did take 1st place in the 50yd match. He was a pretty good shot and had many trophies. He always swore by High Standard.

Last edited by OldDave; 12-25-2019 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-26-2019, 01:56 AM
hamden

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The Tournaments are just as good, just as reliable and accurate as the Trophies, Citations and Victors.
The condition, meaning age and treatment it has had, is most important. I have a Tournament barrel that is dependable for 10s and Xs at 50 yds offhand, iron sights.
Old 12-26-2019, 09:43 AM
Kona Dave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Skype™ to Kona Dave
I have a 107 Tournament. I purchased my gun from a competition shooter who never used it in competition. He used a Citation which he let me look at before I bought the Tournament from him. He was the original owner. My tournament is in close to mint condition as he rarely shot it. I shoot it regularly alongside my Trophy. The trigger is as clean as the Trophy. Only difference is that the pull is not adjustable so it is slightly heavier than my Trophy. Plus there are no gold plated parts nor is the blueing as good on the Tournament. It has the 5.5” barrel like your does. It did not come with any mags as the owner wanted to keep the original mag. He gave me a very good deal on it since we had been friends for quite a while and he knew it was going to go to a good home.

I actually prefer the balance on my Tournament over the 7.5” barrel on my Trophy. But that is more of a personal thing. Shooting offhand I shoot it pretty well. I can no longer focus on the sights as well as I used to. I bought some specialized shooting glasses to help with focussing on the sights. I bought these glasses specifically to help me with the sights on the Tournament. Which also helps me with the sights on my Trophy. Bench rested it is stupid accurate. It remains my favorite target gun to shoot over all the others I own because of the balance.

Edited to remove a misstatement.

Last edited by Kona Dave; 12-26-2019 at 10:54 AM.
Old 12-26-2019, 12:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I would love to trade my Trophy trigger gold for a Tournament one
Old 12-26-2019, 05:17 PM
dlay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamden View Post
The Tournaments are just as good, just as reliable and accurate as the Trophies, Citations and Victors.
The condition, meaning age and treatment it has had, is most important. I have a Tournament barrel that is dependable for 10s and Xs at 50 yds offhand, iron sights.
I have an old 107 Tournament that was given to me, it was rough as a cob, cleaned up and tried to make it look a little better. It has the long barrel and a great trigger, and It shoots with my Victor, Supermatic, Citation and Trophy. In fact it is the one that I prefer to shoot. I would like to have the bull barrel for It.
Old 12-26-2019, 06:36 PM
JVStalin

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Smile Can I play , too ?

When I slap a 4.5" Tournament barrel on my 107Military frame , is it still a Tournament , or , just a cringe-worthy , incestuous Frankengun ? She sure looks cool, though .

Last edited by JVStalin; 12-26-2019 at 11:54 PM. Reason: spielin airor