Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-24-2018, 08:24 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (99)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911 View Post
Its my only HS pistol and I wanted a VIctor for the longest time. This one came along and I had to grab it. Tweaked the magazines and it runs great. More accurate than I am.
CONGRATULATIONS VERY NICE . I LIKE IT!
Old 12-28-2018, 08:54 AM
dlay
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by retroboats View Post
Thought it would be interesting to see and hear which HS folks actually currently shoot and enjoy. Also why is it your favorite HS.

Mine is the S-101 Supermatic. It fits my hand, has nice balance without the weights, shots great and has a 50's feel to it.
I have one just like it that my dad bought me new, still have box, put the hs wooden grips on it soon after I received it. I have orginal grips and weights in the box. I have shot a lot of rounds thru it, all high velocity, didnt know any better then.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:05 AM
dlay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What about the Aguila standard velocity ammo for the high standards, can get it easier and cheaper where I live.
Old 12-28-2018, 10:27 AM
Kona Dave

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Skype™ to Kona Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlay View Post
What about the Aguila standard velocity ammo for the high standards, can get it easier and cheaper where I live.
I have shot a fair amount of the Aguila SV. What I found was that while it can come close to CCI SV, there is almost always a flier or two. I found it is not quite as consistent as the CCI SV. In other words it has the potential to do very well in my pistols (and rifles) but I sold the remainder I had due to this. While this is what I found, your results could be different. I suggest you buy a few boxes and try it and see how it shoots from your guns. If you have not already tried CCI SV, I will suggest you try this as well. I found that CCI SV is very consistent.
Old 01-20-2019, 08:28 PM
syfr
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post
Yes, maybe. Some (NOT ALL) well taken care of Hi Std shot regularly have been known to crack frames. Only Death and Taxes are guaranteed.

LDBennett
Shoot standard vel only...
Old 01-21-2019, 12:53 AM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (99)
Here is a ML hi standard victor I bought a year ago it always goes with the range with me.It has led to more hi standards in the stable .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-21-2019, 03:00 PM
Sarah93003

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New to me. I recently (yesterday) bought a 1975 High Standard "The Victor" from an acquaintance of mine. I shot the pistol for the first time yesterday and it seems to operate perfectly. It was made in Camden, Conn and has an ML serial number.

I've been wanting a .22 pistol to teach my 19 year old how to shoot and this just fell into my lap. I would like to learn more about it.

This target was at 30 feet. I'm guessing I will perform better as I get used to it.

Old 01-21-2019, 05:55 PM
Tomcat21

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I see that this is only your 2nd post, so first off welcome to RFC. That's a pretty darned good shooting for your first time out with "The Victor"......
Old 01-21-2019, 05:58 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It would be HAMDEN, not Camden.

ML series pistol were made initially in Hamden and, for the bulk of the run, in East Hartford. Collectors like the Hamden version better than the East Hartford version and collectors drive the value.

You'll love that pistol. But don't abuse it. Feed it only Standard Velocity ammo (like CCI Std Vel). To start with change out the recoil spring and do that every 10 to 15 thousand rounds. I'll not bore you with details but failure to do these two things may lead to a cracked frame (crack goes from the mag well on the top to the relief for the slide lock in the right side of the frame.)

LDBennett
Old 01-21-2019, 07:30 PM
matchgrade

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Very nice. The short barrel Victor with solid rib is fairly scarce in my experience and one of the best looking combinations out there IMO. You got a good one!
Old 01-21-2019, 09:12 PM
Sarah93003

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post
It would be HAMDEN, not Camden.

ML series pistol were made initially in Hamden and, for the bulk of the run, in East Hartford. Collectors like the Hamden version better than the East Hartford version and collectors drive the value.

You'll love that pistol. But don't abuse it. Feed it only Standard Velocity ammo (like CCI Std Vel). To start with change out the recoil spring and do that every 10 to 15 thousand rounds. I'll not bore you with details but failure to do these two things may lead to a cracked frame (crack goes from the mag well on the top to the relief for the slide lock in the right side of the frame.)

LDBennett
Thank you everyone for the warm welcome.

@LDBennett,

thank you for the great information. The Camden reference was a Freudian slip. I worked in Philly for three years right across the river from Camden. So, yes, it is stamped Hamden. Do you have a source for the recoil springs? I'd love to get a couple.

I am the second owner of this pistol. It comes with the original styrofoam container and one magazine.

I'd love to have a spare magazine for it. The serial number is ML 17145 if that provides any information. I'd like to learn as much as I can about this pistol.
Old 01-21-2019, 09:16 PM
Sarah93003

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomcat21 View Post
I see that this is only your 2nd post, so first off welcome to RFC. That's a pretty darned good shooting for your first time out with "The Victor"......
Thank you very much. This pistol felt awesome. Unfortunately I live in SoCal and have to wait 10 days before it is in my possession. Grrr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by matchgrade View Post
Very nice. The short barrel Victor with solid rib is fairly scarce in my experience and one of the best looking combinations out there IMO. You got a good one!
I was quickly drawn to the look and the balance is great in the hands. I'm really looking forward to getting more target time with it.

I'm wondering if there is an online source for a manual or expanded diagram. I'm also wondering if it would be a good idea to have a gunsmith give it the "once over".
Old 01-22-2019, 05:56 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Before you shoot it replace the recoil spring with the OEM 5.5 pound original. Wolff sells the springs as does Alan Aronstein (who reports here---Interarms Texas). Only shoot Standard Velocity ammo (like CCI Std Vel).

LDBennett
Old 01-22-2019, 08:32 AM
HSWayne

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Victor

You can find a manual at this link: http://www.histandard.info/manuals/milgrip/
The one you want is 0173. This will give you basic information on how to care for you new pistol. The serial number indicates it was made in 1976.

The 4.5 inch Victor is one of my favorite models. My first High Standard was a 4.5 inch vent rib Victor, which I still have (I purchased it in about 1980). I think you will enjoy it very much. You can obtain a new magazine from Brownells.com at this link: https://www.brownells.com/magazines/...h%2520Standard
Old 01-22-2019, 10:13 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you need an additional magazine (Brownells is good source) don't buy the one supplied to Brownells by Triple K. A better choice is a magazine with hardened lips in order to retain its tune. A good source for these better magazines is Alan Aronstein of Interarms Texas. His web page for Hi Std stuff is

https://highstandardfirearmsusa.com

He's the former head of High Standard of Houston Texas (now in bankruptcy court). He is also a contact point to get service like regular recoil spring changes, magazine lip tuning, and many new parts.

LDBennett