Let's see your Ruger Single Six revolvers! - Page 19 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-08-2012, 02:00 PM
Old Griz
US Navy NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roklok View Post
Here is my 6.5" Single Six, with steel ERH and steel SBH grip frame. I bought it new in 1995 when I turned 21. It has literally hundreds of kills to its credit, starlings, rats, mice, and groundhogs on the farm back in PA, squirrels, rabbits and one pheasant in the woods and fields. I used to use it with Winchester shot loads at night to clean out the dairy barns of starlings and rats. Single-Six in one hand, flashlight in the other, it was very effective to about 20 feet. Now that I live in Alaska, it goes along on hunts for grouse and ptarmigan. I shot 15 grouse with it on my last moose hunt.

I would love to put grip frame like that on my Lipsey Single 10.... where do you get one.... and what do they cost....
thanks
Tom
Old 12-13-2012, 12:54 PM
roklok
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Old Griz,

Midway USA carries them, or at least the stainless version, blued is special order. Numrich gun parts usually have them. Or you can keep your eye out for one on Ebay or Gunbroker, thats what I did. Keep in mind if you purchase one that is new, and has not been fit to a gun yet, there is a fair bit of filing to do to fit it to your gun. If you buy one that has already been fit, there is not as much filing to do, if any, but it is a bit unlikely that it will match perfectly.

Cost ? anywhere from about 75.00 to 150.00, depending on condition. Here is a link to Midway's stainless frame: http://www.midwayusa.com/product/826...tainless-steel

Last edited by roklok; 12-13-2012 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Rimmer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here's my new Model 0624 with the magnum cylinder and my 35-year old Model 0623 with Jack Weigand rail, Millet SP-1 red dot sight, and LR cylinder. Both are used for everything from plinking on the farm with CBs to field pistol class silhouette matches with 22WMR. Nothing beats the versatility of a Single Six!

-----

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-22-2013, 09:00 AM
grg3d
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi Finally took pictures of my Single 6 in .22/.22mag, I have changed out the sights to the fiber optics and swaped the grips to the black ones(I gave the wood grips to the Ruger Blackhawk in 357/ 9mm)

Love wood grips but the SS Single 6 (to me) looks very nice with the black grips!!

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 01-22-2013, 07:09 PM
jcc9422
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via ICQ to jcc9422
living in New York and wondering why

I guess I understand. Whiule I don't own any type of assault rifle the govenor of New York has turned my mark I, two mark II and one 10-22 into questional guns with his 7 round magazine limitation. Imagin some of these guns have been in my colletion since the 1990's and now I can expect cross-eyed looks by even having them. It is a good thing most of my collection consist of Single-action revolvers, lever-actions, pump-actions. I even own three double- barrel shotguns 1 20 gage ss, 1 28ga super-imposed and one 12 gage super-imposed.

Just imagine
Old 01-22-2013, 07:43 PM
Maine04657

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Here is my old school Bearcat. My grandfather gave it to me the day I was born. Never been molested by Ruger all original except for the base pin assembly That fell out while shooting a few years ago. Has had many many many rounds through it. In my teens I would go through a brick in a summer week.

Last edited by Maine04657; 01-22-2013 at 08:35 PM.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:50 PM
hebertjb
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Here's my Stainless 6.5" convertible.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
Old 01-26-2013, 07:04 PM
americanstrat98
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
While Ruger Has never made the best fitting firearm old Bill made them well, and made them useful. This is my Single Six, It just got me 3rd place in the Cowboy Silhouette Match in Colorado, 40,50,75,100meter targets. My very first pistol was a Stainless 45LC Vaquero, this was bought way down the line but I do love this pistol. IF i'm ever in the mountains or on the Farm this pistol is on my side. Mostly 22 Magnum, but This pistol really does well with the 22LR cylinder as well.

I have to apologize for the crusty grips, I was never happy with the fit of the wood to the frame so I took a file to them and evened them out and checkered them, and have to finish the other coats of Velvet oil, but the checkering really tightened up the groups and it's so much more comfortable when everything matches up at the seams.

Old 01-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Plinkerton

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Checkering

The checkering makes your old wood grips come alive. I like it and would like to do the same on mine. Are there any good tutorials out there on home checkering?
Thanks
Old 02-05-2013, 07:33 PM
americanstrat98

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinkerton View Post
The checkering makes your old wood grips come alive. I like it and would like to do the same on mine. Are there any good tutorials out there on home checkering?
Thanks
I have yet to find a definitive guide on checkering. It is mostly practice makes perfect. Drawing your layout is everything, I mean everything. I winged it on the ruger grips and it turned out so so. If you want your points to line up perfect than all your layout will have to be perfect. Then you must cut your two master lines then go from there, measuring often and using the ruler a lot. I'd say it takes a few years to get good at checkering.(on a professional level)

Tools Needed.

Dem-Bart Checkering tools (kit for 20lpi)
Mark on anything pencils
a 1 foot strip of tape measure, cut it from a stanley.
A machinist ruler for making precise measurements.
Excellent lighting (a telescoping lamp works best with 40w bulbs or less, too much light will hurt your eyes) A stable vise, and wood clamping vise, and a good chair to sit in. Like a drummers seat you can find at a guitar center.
Electrical tape for taping off your borders.

Line Depth to start with should be about 30% deep, cut the entire pattern to this depth and about one line from the border. Once you get the layout right, cut the border lines by pulling the tool back from the line, never cut into the line. Cut the rest to final depth, then finish the border to final depth.

Your first try will not be good, just keep at it, Checkering Perfection is definately within reach for anyone with patients and good hands.

Also, Start our on flat pieces of walnut, Do a 50-50 mix of polyeurothane/ mineral spirits (don't use the eco crap, just the clear kind), paint this on several times till the wood will no longer soak any more up, then let sit for 48-72 hours, Go back now with 320 and a small rectangular eraser as a sanding block, and mud rub with your finishing oil in a 50-50 mix with mineral spirits, Do this 3 times or until the pours are filled, Then you've got a Grade A practice piece.

If you mess up, keep going till you finish, then start over, don't scrap every mess up you have, just keep trying till you get the hang of it.

Good luck and sorry I couldn't find a guide line book
Old 02-05-2013, 11:51 PM
Plinkerton

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow, good info there. I appreciate your time in giving the details. I do have some practice wood here and will be giving it a try.
Thanks
Old 02-06-2013, 06:20 PM
americanstrat98

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
No Problem.

Also, once you get your two master lines perfectly straight, use a 2" piece of scotch tape, Dead center on your master line and cut the first line against this tape with a Fine single cutter. This will ensure a straight guide line. Pay attention to the borders as you user your left/right cutter; the borders are an overlooked chance at getting it right. It should come out with a single checker at each corner. To do this.

Make a center line on your piece both horizontally and vertically. Draw your diamond, if the lines don't meet up, erase and keep doing it till you get it right. Then using the outside line measure one inch inside the diamond from your left and right borders. This will give you a perfect checker if using a 3" stencil. You may want to start out doing a six inch tall diamond, once you get comfortable, do diamonds in diamonds. then do a round piece and start practicing round pieces, then do some grips. Since ruger over cuts their grips you got plenty of wood to work with, I taped off my frame and sculpted the grips to the frame and receiver, then refinished and checkered.

have fun with it,
Kyle
Old 03-02-2013, 05:15 PM
[email protected]

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Single Six in hard case

I decided that my single six needed a little more than the soft case when traveling to the range.
This pelican case for under $40 at Amazon was money well spent.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:50 PM
johNTO

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I recently picked up a NM Bearcat to tag along to the range with my CF revolvers. I know its not technically a Single Six but.....
What a great little well made plinker!
[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 03-31-2013, 01:04 PM
Plinkerton

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice iron, at least the Bearcat is a rimfire.