Sharpshooter-M to buy or not to buy questions - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-04-2020, 04:50 PM
Tokarev

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Super-helpful info and pictures here!
I will take a look at the indicated areas when I am at the store again.

Out of curiosity: did anyone TIG weld those cracks successfully? Do they interfere with the serial number at all?
Old 02-25-2020, 03:49 PM
Tokarev

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I ended up buying the gun in question since it did not have any visible firing pin damage on the breech face or visible cracking of the frame.
It is missing the slide catch spring, the tiny one, and I am going to need the full set of springs, as earlier suggested.
Am I looking at the correct kit at Wolffe?

Quote:
P/n: 69191
Product name: HI-STANDARD .22 PISTOL SERVICE PAK TYPE-I
Description:
Service Pak - Type I - contains the following springs to replace weakened or broken springs, returning the pistol to original factory condition: recoil spring, firing pin spring, extractor spring, slide lock spring, trigger bar spring, hammer spring, sear spring, magazine catch spring and take-down spring.
Old 02-25-2020, 04:10 PM
FuzzyVision

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
I ended up buying the gun in question since it did not have any visible firing pin damage on the breech face or visible cracking of the frame.
It is missing the slide catch spring, the tiny one, and I am going to need the full set of springs, as earlier suggested.
Am I looking at the correct kit at Wolffe?
I believe that is the correct Wolff spring kit.

When faced with the same decision I chose the kit offered by Alan at InterarmsTX:

http://interarmstx.com/product/high-...-and-sear-bar/

You may wish to confirm with Alan that it is appropriate for your pistol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-22-2020, 06:54 PM
Tokarev

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Finally picked up the gun from the store and took it to the range.

It shoots very accurately, though slightly off center, but I did not bother adjusting the sites yet.
The return spring is clearly weak, and some rounds failed to chamber. Slightly pushing on the back of the bolt still 1/2" away from the breech would chamber the round fine.
I fired 20 or 25 rounds of CCI Standard Velocity and called it a day, until the Wolff kit will be delivered.

One thing surprised me. The walnut thumbrest grips do not cover the entire metal of the grip section of the frame. There are narrow slits in front of the grips that expose the mag well. The faint white line that you can see in front of the bottom 2" of the grip is the tablecloth visible through the grip.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010058.JPG (307.1 KB, 8 views)
Old 03-23-2020, 08:07 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A safer approach to not cracking the frame is to replace the recoil spring every10 to 15 thousand rounds or when its effectiveness is reduced by 10%. Also a rule of thumb on ammo to use is to use only Standard Velocity ammo with about 1080 FPS as marked on the box.

The crack is a cumulative fatigue crack. That means the threat to the metal accumulates with every excursion of the metal to higher states of stress level. So if the previous owner abused the gun but no crack appears yet, following the ammo rules by you possibly might still cause a crack anyway. Heavily used guns are most at risk unless you can be sure the recoil springs were changed regularly and only Std Vel ammo was used for the entire life of the gun. This crack failure is a design flaw but while it can happen it is still bit rare mostly because people tend to use Std Vel in the guns for best accuracy. Casual plinker are less likely to use Std Vel ammo and tend to use whatever 22LR ammo is on sale. Anyway that is just my opinion.

LDBennett
Old 04-09-2020, 04:36 PM
Tokarev

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post
A safer approach to not cracking the frame is to replace the recoil spring every10 to 15 thousand rounds

LDBennett
That is 40-60 visits to the range for me at most. I cannot believe they have to be replaced this frequently.
Old 04-09-2020, 08:03 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
L D is correct the spring is in a small cavity that wears spring out faster poor design but they are remarkable pistols and takes a bit to get use to slide stop on right side if you remove right grip be careful not to lose tiny spring on slide stop
Old 04-09-2020, 08:49 PM
Tokarev

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Oh, yes, I realize this now that I replaced the main spring. The one that the gun came with is 1) broken at the constricted end and 2) squared along the plunger from rubbing on the slide. Now I have the Wolf 7 lb spring in there, to try a few rounds.
I guess that regular cleaning and lubricating the spring and plunger should help to protect the spring since carbon buildup acts as an abrasive.
Old 04-10-2020, 07:37 AM
LDBennett
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
After many decades of testing, by many Hi Std users, the correct weight recoil spring has proven to be the OEM 5.5 pound spring or the Wolff 6 pound variable weight spring. The 7 pounder you installed will eventually cause the slide/barrel to get hammered by the excess closing velocity of the slide. These guns were made with steels of the time and modern steels might be tougher than the ones chosen at the time. The latest versions from Houston Texas (1990's to present) used those modern steels and few to none have had any of these problems. But Alan Aronstein can probably shed a more accurate light on these steel choices for the Houston Hi Std guns.

Failures of the slide to fully close is most often caused by magazine lips that do not deliver the bullet nose to the center of the chamber which marks the bullet nose, from hitting the edge of the chamber, so that the bullet can not fully seat into the chamber. Other causes can be a chamber that has buildup in it that does not allow the cartridge to easily move into the chamber. Holding the barrel vertically, a live round should fully fall into the chamber with a "PLOP". Also excess dry firing with a firing pin that is too long causes a burr on the edge of the chamber, impeding the full seating of the live round. That burr should be ironed back in place and not just removed with files (Brownells makes a tool for that).

LDBennett
Old 04-10-2020, 10:18 AM
FuzzyVision

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokarev View Post
... I cannot believe they have to be replaced this frequently.
Think of the recoil spring in your High Standard target pistol like the tires on your motorcycle (or Corvette, or MG, etc.). They are wear items that are sacrificed for our enjoyment. Small price to pay, in my opinion.
Old 04-11-2020, 06:04 AM
Tokarev

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBennett View Post
The 7 pounder you installed will eventually cause the slide/barrel to get hammered by the excess closing velocity of the slide.
LDBennett
Thanks for the heads up. I'll start with 7 and see how it goes. I can always go back to 5.5