Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Closed Thread

Old 02-04-2014, 07:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Smile Ruger 10/22 Step-by-Step

If you have been around RFC for a while (I’ve been here since 2003) and in the 10/22 section specifically you have seen at least a few posts that go something like this:

“I just bought a new 10/22 what mods should I do to it?

This brought me to,

Bang for the buck.

A few months ago I hatched a plan to see which 10/22 modifications work the best, or more correctly which mods make the most improvement. So instead of, “I did a trigger, barrel, and bolt” (all at once) I am going to do the mods one at a time.

This isn’t going to be a budget build, I am only going to upgrade the stock rifle, when I am finished the rifle will be as close to stock as I can make it. (No aftermarket barrel, stock etc.)

I spoke w/your moderator Dr. Gunner who helped me develop the idea further and here is what we came up with:

~Which Modification Makes the most difference to a stock 10/22’s reliability and accuracy?~

Let’s agree that usually the recommendations to fix the 10/22’s are,
~Trigger Job~
~Re-Chamber barrel~
~Address bolt issues (aka bolt job) radius bolt body, pin & re-shape firing pin, replace extractor~
~Charging Handle~

In order to find out which mods make the most difference I am going to make one change, shoot the rifle with 3 types of ammo (from the same lot) and score the groups.

I am going to use CCI Blazer, Federal Auto Match and CCI Mini Mags. I figure with the current ammo situation, those are fairly representative of what is out there without going exotic or sub sonic (and at frankly it is what I have the most of)

To that end I went out and bought 2 new 100% stock 10/22’s.

Rifle # 1 (here after referred to as ‘827’ for its serial number prefix) is a K10/22 RBBRBZ Model #01273
http://www.ruger.com/products/1022DE...eets/1167.html this isn’t exactly my rifle but it’s extremely close, mine has sling swivels, and this one doesn’t.

Rifle # 2 (here after referred to as ‘826’ for its serial number prefix) is a K10/22 RB-BBZ Model #01109
http://www.ruger.com/products/1022DE...eets/1109.html

The Process, Step by step

Step 1, Measure the trigger pull on each rifle.
To accomplish this, I am going to use my Lyman Digital trigger pull gauge and take an average of 20. I am going to dry fire the rifle 20 times and get an average trigger pull.

Step 2, Disassemble and clean each rifle.

Step 3, Reassemble each rifle and mount a Weaver # 849398 3 - 9 x 32 Adj. Obj. Matte Dual-X scope. http://www.opticsplanet.com/weaver-r...v10-10x50.html I am going to use the factory supplied Ruger mount http://www.midwayusa.com/product/959...ProductFinding and my favorite Leupold Rifleman rings (Low) http://www.midwayusa.com/product/136...s-weaver-style

Step 4, Repeat step 1.

Step 5, Sight in and break-in rifle with 50 rounds of CCI Blazer.

Step 6, Break down and clean rifle.

Step 7, Re-assemble rifle and check trigger pull as described in Step 1 & Step 4.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Initial Trigger pull results

Well the trusty Lyman Scale reveled the following:

827 (The Stainless Carbine) trigger pull (avg of 20 pulls)
High 7.35lbs.
Low 6.10 lbs

Average Trigger Pull 6.46 lbs

826 trigger pull (avg of 20 pulls)
High 7.15
Low 6.11

Average Trigger Pull 6.14 lbs

Notes: The trigger group in 827 wobbles ever so slightly (polymer group) and I feel that wobble might be the 1/2 ounce difference between the two rifles.

Happily the trigger pull of 826 feels like it is going to really benefit from some trigger work. While stupidly heavy, I'm feeling pretty good about the potential of this group.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
826 & 827

Here is 826

For Chaser!

Pretty Dirty

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Trigger Pull Results (after initial Cleaning & Lubrication)

I disassembled and cleaned both rifles today and mounted the scope bases

The "from the factory trigger pull weights" are listed in a post above, here are the results post cleaning:
This goes to prove you can't go into something like this with any preconceived notions.

827 (The Stainless Carbine) trigger pull (avg of 20 pulls)
Before Cleaning High 7.35lbs.
After Cleaning High 8.00 lbs (It got worse?!)

Before Cleaning Low 6.10 lbs
After Cleaning Low 6.11 lbs

Average Trigger Pull 6.46 lbs Before Cleaning
Average Trigger Pull 6.48 lbs After Cleaning (Never expected this, nearly identical)

826 trigger pull (avg of 20 pulls)
Before Cleaning High 7.15 lbs
After Cleaning High 8.05 lbs (as above it got worse the more you lubricated it?!)

Before Cleaning Low 6.11 low
After Cleaning Low 6.12 lbs

Average Trigger Pull 6.14 lbs Before Cleaning
Average Trigger Pull 7.30 lbs After Cleaning (OK, this was the 'seemingly' more consistant group and it got worse!?)

Assumptions I made (all proven wrong)
1. The trigger pull would get better with time (maybe, but not after cleaning & proper lubrication)

2. It isn't the fact that the rifles have stupidly heavy triggers, the issue is that the rifles have such wide swings in the pull weight (nearly 2 lbs between high and low) how could you ever know when the rifle would go off?

3. 827 (The Stainless Carbine) has a slight amount of fore-aft play in the group. I was positive this play was increasing the trigger pull by about 1/2 ounce. The second trigger pull test showed that 827 has settled down somewhat but 826 (whose group has no detectable fore-aft play) trigger pull has gotten worse.

Next step is to test the control trigger group(s) (The unmodified ones) which will go into these rifles when their factory triggers are modified) I intend to test each group as above in each rifle. I have already labeled these trigger groups as 6C and 7C (for 826 Control and 827 Control)

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)

Ready for the Weaver 3x9x33 A/O!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Update 2/28/2014

Well 2014 has started out as a pretty crummy year and this project has taken a backseat to life. Today I rallied it was a BEAUTIFUL day in North Central Florida so I took the twins out for a stroll.

I made a slight change and mounted a stainless 2x7 Weaver RV-7 scope on 827 because it just looked better. To be fair, I set both scopes at 7x power. The first test consisted of final sighting in of the rifles and firing 50 rounds of CCI Blazer through each rifle. I had zero issues and am happy to report 100% reliability with the stock rifle. (which surprised me)

I don't have a ton of experience with precision shooting but feel I did OK as the targets soon to be posted will show. I've come to one conclusion already. When it comes to what mod makes the most difference in accuracy the answer is, 'It depends on your particular rifle'. So I managed to make a few tests on each rifle.

I fired each rifle 25 rounds and then 25 more with the barrel band removed (it wasn't part of my initial plan but it came to me today)

* 827 (The stainless steel rifle) actually shot better w/out the barrel band. I couldn't notice a difference in 826.

* The addition of a Kidd drop in group helped. It actually took me awhile to get used to the light pull. THAT threw me off for a bit.

So far, shooting the rifle makes the most difference in accuracy.

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Here's S/N #826's (The blued rifle) First target. Scope was bore sighted only shot February 28, 2014

Here's S/N #827's First Target

Remember I was going to break in each rifle with 50 rounds of CCI Blazer. Well I shot the Blazer but These are no break in, first targets. Room for improvement to be sure

Here's Target #2 from s/n 826 This is a completely stock rifle, no barrel band.

Not bad, not great. In my mind no real change I felt myself settling down a bit with that trigger... UGGH my finger began to hurt!

Here is s/n 827 with no barrel band. This rifle clearly benefits from no band, I'm fairly impressed with much of this target! (Except where I fell apart on target #4)

Next steps... Clean each rifle and swap the trigger group with a Kidd Drop in kit. (Actually I shot 826 with a Kidd group during this session. What I noticed is that it took me awhile to settle down with the much lighter trigger. I mean my first groups were rough. Almost no improvement. I was getting hungry and I wanted to get home)
Old 02-04-2014, 07:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
The Chickens Come Home to Roost, The Truth Shall Set You Free, Cold Hard Light of Day

May 1, 2014 Update... Some good, some REALLY BAD!

In other words... If it's gonna be accurate, it's gonna have to prove it at 50 yards...

Well It's been awhile, had to put down a beloved pet, Mom & Dad aren't doing well, work, life all sorts of things have gotten in the way of my test to see what makes a difference in accuracy to a stock 10/22.

So I took the rifles out today. It's about 80F, wind out of the south at about 15 knots (I shoot at an east/west range) the guy on one side was shooting an M-16 (really and for true) The other guy was shooting a shorty AR-15 with an 10" barrel (LOUD) I couldn't set up my rest so I used a Caldwell bag.

Since we last chatted I have installed Kidd Drop in trigger kits on these stock rifles. Trigger pulls went from an average of 6 ish pounds to a very predictable 1.75 lbs with the trigger on the Silver rifle (827) feeling better (to me) than the blue rifle (826)

You guys asked for 50 yards and better ammo, here's what happened!

Oh my 50 yards with CCI Blazer! Pretty good for a stock rifle with only a trigger job! (But wait there's more!)

Stock Rifle, Weaver 2x7 scope, 50 yards!
It WAS loud and hot. Apologies for the flyer it was all me when the guy next to me dumped a magazine full auto...

So I've got some flyer issues. I shot a bunch of SK Rifle Match, shot like crap in both rifles. These rifles like CCI Blazer and they love CCI Standard Velocity. 50 yards is about all I can do with a 2x7 scope. Observations, 827 hates its barrel band. put it on the rifle patters, off it shoots like a champ!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
And Here is the UGLY (REALLY UGLY)

May 1, 2014... I hope I left the action screw off (or something) uggh

Here are the 50 yard targets shot by the blue rifle s/n 826. I tried SK Match, CCI Standard, CCI Blazer, barrel band on and off. All about the same and this was with a 9x scope... these are representative groups I shot 100 rounds through this rifle today. 50 CCI Blazer, 25 SK Match, 25 CCI Standard velocity. The groups all sucked.

I'm not at all sure what the heck happened! All I did was put in a Kidd drop in trigger kit.

I am happy to report that now with 200+ rounds through each 100% stock rifle, I've had zero reliability issues. Not one. So far that and the accuracy of the stock rifle amaze me.

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
May 15, 2014 Update...

Getting ready for the range, Mittens is guarding:

When I last updated, s/n 826 had begun to pattern like a shotgun. I took the gun down and tightened everything and put the gun back 100% stock 25 yards just to get on target:

Not bad but still a flyer or two so I put in a CPC modded Ruger Factory bolt (pinned firing pin and radiused ends)

I think I'm on to something here! That's 50 yards with a 100% stock rifle only a modded bolt!
Next it was 827's turn... Lot's of flyers at 50 yards:

Swapped in the CPC modded bolt and:

WOO HOO! So then the tornado warnings hit and I decided to call it a day.

Here's what I have learned so far:
1. The barrel band makes a difference (in some rifles) 827 clearly likes no band. In 826 it doesn't seem to make a difference.
2. A good trigger just makes you smoother and honestly pulling that heavy clunky thing will eventually mess your accuracy up. I'm finding even a 1.75lb Kidd seems heavy to me now for fun I shot my 6oz 2 stage at rocks on the berm at 120 yards, VERY FUN!
3. A 2x7 is just not enough scope for fine target work at 50 yards and it IS limiting me. The Weaver 3x9 a/o on s/n 826 is better but more magnification would be better!
4. In my experience the pinned bolt has so far eliminated my flyers. I can't really see a huge accuracy change but the flyers have seemed to disappear.
5. So much for 10/22's not shooting well. Zero failures of any kind, 100% reliability.

Guess I'd better send the barrels out!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Reserved 9
Old 02-04-2014, 07:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Reserved 10
Old 02-04-2014, 07:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)