Flash Hiders without Threaded Barrel? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-01-2018, 10:49 AM
asdaven

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Flash Hiders without Threaded Barrel?

Just was wondering anybodys experience with the slip on flash hiders? Ive tried one (the duckbill shaped part muzzle brake/part flash hider looking one) but the set screw stripped and the whole thing worked itself loose. I now have a front tech sight so I need to remove some material on it to get it to fit. Also need to retap the set screw hole to install a bigger set screw.

So, I have that flash hider but im wondering about the slip on birdcage style flash hider? Has anybody seen accuracy gains or losses from these type of attachments?

Im forgoing getting the barrel threaded because I will lose the front sight and base as its at the end of the barrel and non removable. Plus justifying the cost for something that is more or less just cosmetic being a .22 LR. But I have heard muzzle attachments in general help accuracy due to weight on the end of the barrel and dampening barrel harmonics.

Last edited by asdaven; 12-01-2018 at 10:52 AM.
Old 12-01-2018, 11:25 AM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I think it's a trial and error experiment, finding the right muzzle device to barrel combo, when accuracy is the goal unless you're working with a tried and true combo. Muzzle devices often hurt accuracy more than help.

I've personally never liked bolt on muzzle devices and would opt for a new, threaded barrel if that were my goal.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
Old 12-01-2018, 11:54 AM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
My take from 'boning up' on this very subject for about the last 6 mo. is that a poorly fitted one can detract from accuracy due to its own vibrations. I guess there may be an odd case where those actually enhance the accuracy but I cant recall reading about any.....
I have thought about having a cheap one to slip on 'just for show' on my LTR style but one hasnt come along cheap yet. I have no illusions (delusions?) about it making the gun better.
IMO, with any decently rifled barrel the biggest contributor to the rifle's potential accuracy is a proper chamber for the ammo being used. Ie, our money would probably be better spent on the CPC barrel enhancements than slip-on do-dads.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2018, 12:02 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Wink my thoughts on this subject

I considered a bolt on, but thought about what happens if it gets loose and there is a strike by a bullet inside ? I would rather leave it OFF my gun. I bought a tactical 10/22 16" barrel that comes with a screw on flash hider. it was the ruger AR cage style, ugly on a beautiful stainless rifle, so I had "maddmacs" make me a custom polished stainless multi hole hider. same dia. as the barrel , looks excellent.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:18 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
I considered a bolt on, but thought about what happens if it gets loose and there is a strike by a bullet inside ? I would rather leave it OFF my gun. I bought a tactical 10/22 16" barrel that comes with a screw on flash hider. it was the ruger AR cage style, ugly on a beautiful stainless rifle, so I had "maddmacs" make me a custom polished stainless multi hole hider. same dia. as the barrel , looks excellent.
Brownells sells a Shrewd muzzle brake I think is worth experimenting with, listed as "gunsmithing required" and comes in several sizes (OD and thread) in chrome moly or ss

I might put the one linked below on my 17HMR upper from Garrow when it arrives
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...893-31422.aspx

Last edited by octanejunkie; 12-01-2018 at 09:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2018, 07:06 PM
asdaven

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The gunsmithing required involves threading the muzzle which basically opens up to most AR style muzzle attachments. I may just forego a muzzle attachment for my 10/22.

Its not easy to set back the factory sight and base to cut threads IF its possible then it will be expensive. Most people lose the front sight, thread the barrel, and run optics. Unfortunately I want iron sights.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:48 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Old 12-01-2018, 10:10 PM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
try one

Quote:
Originally Posted by octanejunkie View Post
Brownells sells a Shrewd muzzle brake I think is worth experimenting with, listed as "gunsmithing required" and comes in several sizes (OD and thread) in chrome moly or ss

I might put the one linked below on my 17HMR upper from Garrow when it arrives
https://www.brownells.com/rifle-part...893-31422.aspx
and give us a product review.
Old 12-01-2018, 10:11 PM
octanejunkie

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon p View Post
and give us a product review.
Lol right away

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk