Thread my barrel, or buy a new rifle already threaded - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-15-2017, 05:16 PM
Teddydog
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thread my barrel, or buy a new rifle already threaded

I have a Mk II "GV" that I picked up last year (not sure if that's actually a model number, but it is a Varmint barrel in a plain wood stock). I like it and it seems to shoot well "as is".

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...097&highlight=

I would like to be able to shoot it suppressed, though, and that means a threaded barrel. Since I like this rifle and it has good accuracy potential, I am considering getting the barrel threaded. However, buying one already threaded from the factory and selling this would be less expensive. But a new rifle is a crap shoot for quality and accuracy (though not much as almost all of these rifle are good shooters). I also understand there is a $50 rebate on Mk IIs, making the decision easier, I think.

Should I go for it and buy a threaded one? Obviously I wouldn't sell this one until I determined whether or not I am happy with the new one.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIITRRSR

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/MARKIIFVSR

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/m...kIIFV-SRLandry

Thoughts? If threading, can anyone recommend someone who does a good job with this type of rifle? Not sure if the barrel will need to be removed to do the work.

Thanks.

Rob
Old 11-15-2017, 06:03 PM
AlpineM1

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just a thought

You may want to look into a thread adapter. They have lots of different sizes for various barrels. They are not very expensive and if you already know the barrel you have shoots good you would not risk it being damaged.

Just a thought......
Old 11-15-2017, 06:50 PM
Teddydog

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Current rifle isn't threaded at all, so there is nothing to use an adapter on.

Rob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2017, 06:55 PM
AlpineM1

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Just a thought

Understood. These are slip on style held in place with set screws. I am looking at them for my 10/22s
Attached Images
File Type: jpg s-l225LGU07I1F.jpg (5.0 KB, 162 views)
Old 11-15-2017, 08:07 PM
jlwilliams

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How much is it going to cost to thread it? Last one I had done was $65 to thread and I sprung another $15 to get the front sight re attached.
Old 11-15-2017, 09:45 PM
PEASHOOTER67

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
Teddydog sir

I do strongly believe that your barrel will choke up at the point of threading.

It should shoot as good or better.
Worst case you will have to go back and do a recessed crown if it shoot worse.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 11-15-2017, 10:36 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Buy a new one.

Why go thru the hassles of threading a perfectly fine Barrel. Just find a fv sr that uses the same magazines that you have. It prolly will fit onto your current stock. And you will be all set.the plastic stocks are junk,but they work just fine so put the old gun in the new stock and fob it off on someone looking for a deal on a good shooter.or keep it ,thats what I would do .
Old 11-17-2017, 08:41 PM
Teddydog

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I found what i think is a pretty good deal locally on the FV-SR, so I ordered one from Cabelas. (had them price match another store at $259.99 and used $200 in gift cards I had. then I'll get the $50 rebate.)

I figure I'll try it out "as is" and in the wood stock and see how it shoots. If it is as good as my current rifle, great! If not, I can send it along and go ahead with threading my rifle.

Rob
Old 11-22-2017, 06:10 PM
kimberklr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm in the same boat.

Scott at savagegunsmithing charges about 95 plus shipping costs.

i think if i was in your shoes i would sell and buy a threaded barrel model such as the fv-sr. i don't think there's a huge difference in accuracy with these rifles that can't be solved. and it doesn't appear you have a lot of money invested in yours yet.

being in my shoes i think it makes better sense to thread it. i have a lot of money sunk into my bv and i'm extrtemely happy with it's accuracy.

edit:

dam, sorry just noticed you bought the fv-sr. keep us posted.

Last edited by kimberklr; 11-22-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 12-03-2017, 01:51 AM
Teddydog

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I decided to buy an FV-SR and see how it shoots. I got it for about $280 and used some gift cards I had for Cabelas. If its a good one, I'll keep it and send the other down the road.

I may try swapping the FV-SR into the wood stock. <shrug>

I'm going to pick it up in the morning, but won't get out to the range for a while probably.

Rob
Old 12-04-2017, 10:09 PM
dixiehacker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My FV-SR shoots noticeably better with a Boyd's pro varmint wood stock than the plastic special it came with. I got one unfinished for a steal and finished it, and I'd say it improved my groupings from about 1.5 to 1.75 inches at 100 yards to around an inch give or take. This is without bedding. The gun really likes Norma match and Lapua center-x. I have not yet shot it suppressed though I intend to at some point.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:18 PM
dixiehacker

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Here are a couple of groups I got at the 100 the other day with mine. I am by no means a master rifleman, and I got a 1.2 inch and about a 1 inch group. It's a great gun, I think. I really like the heavy barrel. Of course when I don't do my part and pull the trigger like I am ropestarting a mower, the groups open up. A friend of mine who has excellent vision got a 7/8 inch group with it once.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6309_1512443579122.jpg (351.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6310_1512443788468.JPG (190.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 12-08-2017, 03:24 PM
glocker17
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Get it threaded, will shot as good or better, whatever you do run away from those over barrel adapters with a silencer. They are not appropriate for that purpose.

Morgan at Dallas Shooting supplies with thread it for $50 plus return shipping, he does dozens of jobs a day and is top notch.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:44 PM
Teddydog

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I didn't realize when I ordered it that the FV-SR model I got from Cabela's is a "Cabelas Exclusive" (according to the label). It came with a goofy "flash hider" or muzzle brake attached to the threads.

You can see it i the picture online (and it is mentioned in the page URL!):

http://www.cabelas.com/product/SAVAG...8.uts?slotId=2

Oddly, the description says this:

"Stocks have swivel studs. Detachable five-round box magazine included. Drilled and tapped for scope mounts, one-piece scope rail installed. Flasher Hider not included."

(emphasis added).

But the flash hider certainly WAS included on mine! It'll be coming off and going into the parts box.

Rob
Old 12-22-2017, 09:56 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Suggestion

You can buy a simple thread protector directly from Savage , and probably sell the “Flash hider” to some tacticool guy for 25 bucks. I’ve have seen these and they are goofy,but might look just fine on a threaded mp 22 or its cousins.