Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-15-2016, 08:31 PM
Mudtoy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model 57 22LR

I'm thinking of dropping a bid on something like this Model 57 on GunBroker:

I don't know much about these other than I love the looks of the tube fed vs the Model 56. I know it has a unique, short throw, speedy action. That is part of reason I want one. I also know they do not come up too often. I have never seen one in the flesh so online only I'm afraid. I do have a few questions you folks may be able to shed light on.
  • First off, if you've owned one what did you like or not like about it?
  • How big are they? I mean, is it a kids gun or does it have an adult feel?
As for the one in the auction:
  • Do you think it is a steel receiver?
  • What is that thing on the top of the receiver in photo 16? Scope rail of some sort?
  • Does that shiny screw in the stock seem right?
  • Are sight hoods as hard to come by as my 39A?

Thanks in advance,
Mud
Old 01-16-2016, 05:35 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
I don't own a Model 57, but I do own several 56s and a 39A.

Absolutely love the short throw of the lever. Very good accuracy when you find the ammo that it likes. Each gun will be different. I have one 56 that loves Remington Viper and the other 56s hate it. Most of them do well with Winchester 333's. I have not tried much subsonic ammo in them yet.

It is definitely an adult feel gun. The same size as your 39A. About the same weight.

I believe the receiver is an aluminum alloy. Not positive on that though.

In Photo 16 is a 3/8" scope base. If you want a Weaver style, it is a Weaver 58. It fits the 56, 57, and 57M.

Which screw are you referring to? It all looks normal to me. I don't believe it came with sling studs.

Sight hoods are just as hard to find as 39A's.

Here is a link for a picture
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=600915

Last edited by former farmer; 01-16-2016 at 05:39 AM. Reason: Included link
Old 01-16-2016, 07:41 AM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 56 with a steel receiver, which I believe just the first year. The rear end has a different slight upswept concave shape compared to the later alloy receivers which looked like the model 60. I'm unsure on the 57, but that one has the 60 shape.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2016, 08:55 AM
kBob
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In 2013 I posted side by side comparisons of a pair of Model 56 the removable "clip" fed model in steel and aluminum.

Use the search function with "kBob" in the Marlin Lever Action area and I think it was labeled "Levermatic comparison" or some such in 2013.

That rifle appears to have an aluminum receiver.

As noted it looks like a model 60 receiver. Not only does the steel have a more sharply angled back rather than that long smooth slope, but the front of the receiver is stepped like a Model 60 as well.

Had the seller shown the back of the receiver from above this would be easier as the screw holding the back of the receiver to the stock has its head on the exposed portion of the receiver. As it is it appears the head of the screw is on the bottom under the lever.

Sure looks Aluminum to me.

This rifle would appear to be missing the rear sight elevator and I can not decide if it is missing the two plug screws for mounting the peep sings from Lyman or Williams on the left rear of the reliever.

The Aluminum receivers came in more than one style over the years, some having a smooth upper like the steel with only two screw holes for mounting a rail and some a cast in tip off ".22" scope rail. It almost looks like the gun referenced has both a tip off rail and mounting holes for the add on rail as there appears to be the ghost of the tip off rails to the rear of the mount that is held by two screws on the rifle.

BTW on the 56 Aluminum once you have it all apart it even displays the little hump inside where the recoil spring of a Model 60 would have fit had that receiver been used for such. Best I can tell they just cut the larger ejection port in the 56 after the Model 60 receiver came from casting.

Given missing parts and questions and sellers claims I would not bid on this rifle at that price....however I am something of a skinflint penny pinching Scrooge. Further they go for wildly different prices around the country so this may even be a decent price for some.

Nice looking rifle though.

Muddied the waters enough now?

-kBob
Old 01-16-2016, 11:08 AM
Mudtoy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kBob View Post
Muddied the waters enough now?

-kBob
Not a problem. In fact you folks have given me some of the best feedback on any 'just a few questions' thread I've started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kBob View Post
In 2013 I posted side by side comparisons of a pair of Model 56 the removable "clip" fed model in steel and aluminum.

Use the search function with "kBob" in the Marlin Lever Action area and I think it was labeled "Levermatic comparison" or some such in 2013.
I found that thread, 56 Steel vs Aluminum, and found it very informative. I should have searched the forum before asking questions but I guess that's how the 'lazy' got into 'fat and lazy'.

Anyhow, one of these rifles must be mine. The fact that it is an adult feel and size is big. It will have to be a steel receiver with all parts present and accounted for. Love the fact they come D&T'd for receiver peep sights (bad eyesight). It's going to be a 57. I think they look more macho, if you will, with the ammo tube under the barrel and I don't care for messing around with mags on 'fun guns' like these. I actually like the looks of the unfinished lever on the guns made for sears. I will have to look into those but if I'm going to drop the cash it may as well be Marlin all the way.

I'll keep looking.

Thanks again,
Mud
Old 01-27-2016, 06:18 PM
CB900F
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mudtoy;

I had a 57 once upon a time. I bought it new in the early '60's & used it heavily. It was an accurate beast for most of the time.

Marlin made them as a lower cost alternative to the model 39. Consequently, they were also made cheaper. That fact finally raised it's pointy little head with my gun. The internals are simply not as robust as those of the model 39 and as wear accumulated, glitches began to arise. I finally sold it and really don't miss it.

If I were you, I'd make darn sure the timing is on & it functions correctly before I put a dime down on it.

900F
Old 01-28-2016, 02:07 PM
chj3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Have a steel Mod 56 and like it. Very accurate off a rest, but the trigger isn't near as good as that on my 39.

A little concerned about long-term reliability and parts. The insides are a bit complicated -- another link:
https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=455606
Old 01-28-2016, 10:49 PM
3joe21

TPC Rating: 
83% (4)
They are accurate. The trigger is horrible and forget a trigger job unless you're an accomplished gunsmith or magician. You can mount a Redfield 75 on it. I did. Balance is great. They hold good and ride the bags well

I bought mine for silhouette but gave up when I tore into the trigger. It's easier to Greta great trigger in everything else. The internals look like a Rube Goldberg contraption

There's also a JC Smith version out there
Old 02-01-2016, 06:52 PM
fataboo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
57Marlin

The model 57 was my first firearm that I had purchased, that was 56 years ago when I was twelve. I can remember that it was very accurate. It felt much heavier then being a young boy. It now sets in my son's stable now, sometimes wish it was back home, but it has a good safe home. Mine is much nicer than the one on Gun Broker.