TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What has better glass, Leupold or Steiner

Considering Leupold Mark 3 HD 1.5-4 or Steiner P4xi V2 1-4

Thanks everybody.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2021, 05:33 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Plug for Leupold ...

I do not know who has better glass. I am 79 and have used Leupold almost exclusively all of my life. The scopes are good, they are reliable and they have a forever warranty regardless as to how many owners have owned them.

My experience with Steiner is with binoculars. Many many years ago I bought the 7x50 military/marine binoculars and had to send them back as the images did not line up. The second one they sent, same thing. When I mailed them back I asked them to have a human person actually look through them to make sure the images aligned. When this third one came, it was perfect and has been so ever after.
Old 07-29-2021, 09:56 PM
comfisherman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
Don't have any play time with the new 4xi but do have with the old one. Have minimal time with an HD, leupolds insistence of avoiding the lower end 1x market baffles me and keeps me wandering elsewhere.

I'd rate clarity on par with each other, but a slight edge to edge image flatness to the steiner. For whatever reason there is always a bit of fisheye on the vx 3 lineup and it's more pronounced on the low power peripheral part of the glass. Minimal differences to be sure, but I'd give the slight nod to the steiner in that aspect. Some scopes just do a little better at making the glass edge distortion dissapear, not something that is an issue on most optics but lpvo optics utilize the entirety of the view a bit more and it's a bit more noticeable.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2021, 08:57 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
The Leupold is a good scope, the Steiner is a great scope. I have both mounted on AR style rifles and prefer the Steiner in just about every area.

Last edited by Nick7274; 07-30-2021 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 07:49 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
The Leupold is a good scope, the Steiner is a great scope. I have both mounted on AR style rifles and prefer the Steiner in just about every area.

thanks nick, its a second kinda cool for me. next summer i am going to put a lijla barrel on my 10/22 action. A low power variable optic just sings to me. And ill be able to knock a squirrel at 50 yards. At 4 power the parallax wont matter. Glass clarity is very important to me.

I hunt in dense hard woods.

I know the market wants a dot in the scope. without that market, there would be no low power variable optic. the leupold is available without the illumination. If i get the Steiner, i wont even put a battery in it.

I like that the Steiner has a locking diopter.

Last edited by Technician1; 07-30-2021 at 08:06 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 08:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the original P4Xi. Of all my scopes it has the best glass. Having said that, my most expensive scopes are in the $1500-2000 range, but I have a few of them. The red dot is daylight bright, but you can turn it down so low that it’s a very fine dot which I think would be a plus under a canopy at dusk or dawn.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:27 AM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
One of the things I like most about the Steiner over the Leupold is that it is a true 1× LPVO. That isn't as important on a squirrel rig. Honestly I think you would be happy with either scope for the purpose you plan on using them.

If you were looking for something for competition or even HD then the Steiner hands down would be my pick between the 2.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:41 PM
lone gunman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
the Steiner glass is very good, my buddy has the P4XI gen 1, and it is pretty good. slightly better than my Leupold VX3 but not as good as my Steiner 1-4 military scope. but to answer your question the Steiner will have the better glass but only slightly.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thanks for takin the time LG, i like the reticle of the leupold. but in this case clarity trumps. the Steiner V2 has a dot inside a diamond…. prefer crosshairs. there is quite a weight difference between the two. i assume heavier is more robust.

Old 07-31-2021, 02:52 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
One of the things I like most about the Steiner over the Leupold is that it is a true 1× LPVO. That isn't as important on a squirrel rig. Honestly I think you would be happy with either scope for the purpose you plan on using them.

If you were looking for something for competition or even HD then the Steiner hands down would be my pick between the 2.

never know, i have all common platforms. I play musical scopes .

Old 07-31-2021, 06:44 PM
theLBC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
budget and mid-priced LVPOs

i was going to start a thread, but maybe it is better to just chime in here.
sorry if that was the wrong call.

i have been shopping for LVPOs for quite a while, and while i can afford to buy whatever i really want, i try to limit myself to what i need, and always consider the return on investment.
for example, i do own a leupold mark 5hd, which with the reticle a wanted was well over $2k when i bought it, but it sits on a scar 20s that i use for shooting out past 800 yards.

i decided to replace the primary arms micro dot that has been on my takedown lite for years. since this is just a plinker for me that i would seldom shoot more than 100 yards, i opted for a Burris RT-6. this is a budget 1-6 LVPO that has a horseshoe bdc type reticle, and the 1x, while not perfect, is plenty good for 2 eyes open action type shooting. if you are looking for a budget LVPO, but don't want junk, i would give this one a try. you can get one at cabelas right now with a decent extended mount for $350.
made in the phillipines if that matters to you.

a step up from the Burris, i just acquired a Swampfox Arrowhead 1-10x scope.
after hearing testimonials on other forums, and seeing all the feature at this price (i paid ~$450), i sort of wish i had waited on the burris, although with a decent one piece mount, your getting close to double the price.
the clarity and brightness of this scope, and choice of reticles (i got the mil reticle), locking turrets and bright illumination are again, punching way above the price.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:42 PM
lone gunman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
[QUOTE=Technician1;12408009]Thanks for takin the time LG, i like the reticle of the leupold. but in this case clarity trumps. the Steiner V2 has a dot inside a diamond…. prefer crosshairs. there is quite a weight difference between the two. i assume heavier is more robust.

well if you like the reticle of the Leupold better that might be the ticket. like I said the Steiner has slightly better glass. the only other thing would be if you need true 1X on the bottom end like a red dot the Steiner has that and Leupold does not. but yeah I saw the diamond reticle when it came out (got a message from Europtic) to be honest I didn't care for it compared to the original reticle in the gen1 but I do like that it's green. green is easier for the human eye to see, but Leupold does have the green firedot. and yes heavier usually translates to more robust but don't discount Leupold, their scopes may be lighter but still tend to be very tuff. and since you hunt in dense woods a dot might not be bad to have, just a thought

as theLBC said Burris is not a bad option either. while I don't have the 1-6 RT-6 I do have the predecessor to it the 1-4 MTAC with the same reticle and like it a lot but I got it new for 200 bucks and for the price it is hard to beat. the glass is not as good as the Leupold or the Steiner but it is less than half the price and pretty good. and just so you know Burris and Steiner are both owned by Beretta. and while Swampfox shows promise it's a new company and I am a little leery about new companies. if their still around in a few years I would look at them. I do like their prism optics and reticles they use though.

if you can find one look at Meopta's optika6 1-6x24 line. I am a meopta fanboy and have five of their scopes so take it for what it's worth but meopta has better glass than even the Steiner. I have the optika6 with the 4C1 illuminated reticle, that's basically an illuminated german #4 reticle that works great for up close and at a distance. got mine for $503.00 out the door. it is true 1x on the bottom for both eyes open but the only downside is the illumination is not quite daylight bright more of a shows up on dark backgrounds on a bright day so it does help in that regard. and it has an off in between each setting and it is heavy but it is built like a tank. their high-end stuff is daylight bright but at twice the price or more it should be.

the meopta

the Burris

the Stiener

Old 08-01-2021, 12:31 AM
lone gunman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I found this thread over on AR15.com about the new Steiner. it has one picture, not a great pic of through the scope but it doesn't look too bad and is almost identical to the one in the MTAC and the RT6 except with a diamond in the middle. i wonder if that is because Beretta owns both companies

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/St...-V2/18-765753/
Old 08-01-2021, 10:28 AM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
For what it's worth I just picked up a Vortex Razor HD 1-6× and a Viper PST Gen 2 1-6×. The Razor is a great scope but it's also around $1,400 while the Viper IMHO is about 90% as good for about 1/3 the price.