Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-27-2021, 07:23 PM
Fire Fighter Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why not a rear roller?

I am not an experienced BR shooter so consider my inexperience when answering my question? Why do we see mostly rear Protector ear bags? Why wouldn’t one use a roller in back to allow more freedom of movement of the rear of the rifle or is this a bad thing resulting in poor accuracy?
Old 07-27-2021, 09:20 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
I am not an experienced BR shooter so consider my inexperience when answering my question? Why do we see mostly rear Protector ear bags? Why wouldn’t one use a roller in back to allow more freedom of movement of the rear of the rifle or is this a bad thing resulting in poor accuracy?
I think rollers are a better option than bags, as long as the rollers can be moved a few thousands left and right. marty

just a tip. when using a bag often it's squeeze the bag. most targets are shot left to right. use the stock for slight pressure on left side of bag then stock back to neutral....just saying..might shoot a few more 20x A23-5 targets......marty

Last edited by earnest; 07-27-2021 at 09:32 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:54 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
[QUOTE=igolfat8;12404751]I am not an experienced BR shooter so consider my inexperience when answering my question? Why do we see mostly rear Protector ear bags? Why wouldn’t one use a roller in back to allow more freedom of movement of the rear of the rifle or is this a bad thing resulting in poor accuracy?[/QUOTE
so the A-23/5 target has the most distance center to center at 6.5" left to right, that's why the target is shot differently. so 1-3 top to bottom then 2-4 may seem like a lot of adjustments, but by a few 10 thousands squeeze with the stock to the left is all that's needed. more than 1 way to skin a cat. marty

Last edited by earnest; 07-27-2021 at 09:56 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2021, 02:41 AM
linekin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
The main reason your seeing them may be rules. Either by the discipline being shot in sanctioned br, whether IR50 sporter/3Gun or some other, or a for a club match to , in theory, keep costs down. You'll spend as much on a decent rear bag & front rest as you will the 1pcs. that are out there.

Keith
Old 07-28-2021, 07:12 AM
Fire Fighter Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just started shooting ARA matches at our local club and I have not seen any rule in ARA that prevents a rear roller. They don't forbit 1 piece rests though. I generally traverse and shoot L to R and have never tried shooting vertically. It seems like when I traverse my shots gradually go more off target so I was wondering if the rear bag may be effecting my accuracy and binding the rifle some how? I am going to make a quickie wood roller and give it a try in practice to see if it makes any difference. I was going to make a flat roller, like a baker's rolling pin, since I don't have a lathe to turn a V shaped roller.

Thanks to all for your responses.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:34 AM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Get a baking pan and put in a layer of BB's. Put your bag on top, plenty of side to side roller action.
Old 07-28-2021, 07:41 AM
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did lot of experimenting with the rear roller concept when I was shooting club bench matches. I had become dissatisfied with the rear bag on my two piece rest setup (required by rules in the matches I shot) and wanted something a little more consistent on recoil and in support. So, as sort of a proof of concept thing, I cobbled together a rear rest with a pair of rollers:

After some experimenting, I decided this was a definite improvement over the bag setup and used it for several years with great results. Definitely improved the consistency of my shooting.

James
Old 07-28-2021, 08:00 AM
Sagittarius

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would like to use a roller rear-rest but my competition rifle and the one I have on order has a flat area on the rear of the stock that won't work with a roller.
I had to go with a custom-built Protektor rear bag but I like it pretty well.

Joe Chacon has the best price on a rear roller rest that I know of.
You can order one from him at... https://04459f5.netsolstores.com/abr...nical-rst.aspx

Last edited by Sagittarius; 07-28-2021 at 08:04 AM.
Old 07-28-2021, 08:29 AM
Cattleman30
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Tested two rear rollers from different manufacturers. One was better made then the other. Both had hysteresis in the windage adj. Can’t recall the vertical.

The front rest interface with the stock is critical with a rear roller as there is little anti cant support. Forend plates help if not running a 3” br stock.

In my case, targets showed more vertical then the best rear bag setup. YMMV. In any case, good to test keeping in mind the “system” has to work together.
Old 07-28-2021, 09:12 AM
jqunac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I use the rear bag position to adjust for windage so I shoot target rows vertically. I really don't want any rearward movement so I hold it with shoulder pressure. As Patton said there are many ways to skin a cat.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:49 PM
Maroy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Killough has a rear mechanical rest utilizing rollers. Many of the ARA factory class shooters at my local club use them.
Old 07-29-2021, 08:59 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqunac View Post
I use the rear bag position to adjust for windage so I shoot target rows vertically. I really don't want any rearward movement so I hold it with shoulder pressure. As Patton said there are many ways to skin a cat.
every shooter shoulder gives on recoil. trying to limit vs control of cheek and shoulder pressure always results in bullet impact higher than poa... marty
Old 07-29-2021, 09:07 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
I just started shooting ARA matches at our local club and I have not seen any rule in ARA that prevents a rear roller. They don't forbit 1 piece rests though. I generally traverse and shoot L to R and have never tried shooting vertically. It seems like when I traverse my shots gradually go more off target so I was wondering if the rear bag may be effecting my accuracy and binding the rifle some how? I am going to make a quickie wood roller and give it a try in practice to see if it makes any difference. I was going to make a flat roller, like a baker's rolling pin, since I don't have a lathe to turn a V shaped roller.

Thanks to all for your responses.
hang the target sideways with sighters at bottom of target as the odds, 1,3,5,7,9 line up. no one says the one right of INC. has to be shot 1st. marty
Old 07-29-2021, 09:43 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlnbyr View Post
Get a baking pan and put in a layer of BB's. Put your bag on top, plenty of side to side roller action.
seems like a good tip John
Old 07-29-2021, 09:46 PM
earnest

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
I did lot of experimenting with the rear roller concept when I was shooting club bench matches. I had become dissatisfied with the rear bag on my two piece rest setup (required by rules in the matches I shot) and wanted something a little more consistent on recoil and in support. So, as sort of a proof of concept thing, I cobbled together a rear rest with a pair of rollers:

After some experimenting, I decided this was a definite improvement over the bag setup and used it for several years with great results. Definitely improved the consistency of my shooting.

James
James, need an adjustment to raise and lowerthe rear rest otherwise adjusting only the front rest by itself results in poi shift be it up or down or vice versa. depending on how the target is shot marty