Why not a rear roller? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 07-27-2021, 07:23 PM
igolfat8's Avatar
igolfat8 is online now
Fire Fighter Appleseed Member

Join Date: 
Apr 2012
Location: 
NW Central, Ohio
Posts: 
162
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Why not a rear roller?



Log in to see fewer ads
I am not an experienced BR shooter so consider my inexperience when answering my question? Why do we see mostly rear Protector ear bags? Why wouldn’t one use a roller in back to allow more freedom of movement of the rear of the rifle or is this a bad thing resulting in poor accuracy?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 07-27-2021, 09:20 PM
earnest's Avatar
earnest

Join Date: 
Dec 2010
Location: 
florida
Posts: 
8,003
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
I am not an experienced BR shooter so consider my inexperience when answering my question? Why do we see mostly rear Protector ear bags? Why wouldn’t one use a roller in back to allow more freedom of movement of the rear of the rifle or is this a bad thing resulting in poor accuracy?
I think rollers are a better option than bags, as long as the rollers can be moved a few thousands left and right. marty

just a tip. when using a bag often it's squeeze the bag. most targets are shot left to right. use the stock for slight pressure on left side of bag then stock back to neutral....just saying..might shoot a few more 20x A23-5 targets......marty

Last edited by earnest; 07-27-2021 at 09:32 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 07-27-2021, 09:54 PM
earnest's Avatar
earnest

Join Date: 
Dec 2010
Location: 
florida
Posts: 
8,003
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
[QUOTE=igolfat8;12404751]I am not an experienced BR shooter so consider my inexperience when answering my question? Why do we see mostly rear Protector ear bags? Why wouldn’t one use a roller in back to allow more freedom of movement of the rear of the rifle or is this a bad thing resulting in poor accuracy?[/QUOTE
so the A-23/5 target has the most distance center to center at 6.5" left to right, that's why the target is shot differently. so 1-3 top to bottom then 2-4 may seem like a lot of adjustments, but by a few 10 thousands squeeze with the stock to the left is all that's needed. more than 1 way to skin a cat. marty

Last edited by earnest; 07-27-2021 at 09:56 PM.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old 07-28-2021, 02:41 AM
linekin
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Oct 2013
Location: 
Maine
Posts: 
644
TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
The main reason your seeing them may be rules. Either by the discipline being shot in sanctioned br, whether IR50 sporter/3Gun or some other, or a for a club match to , in theory, keep costs down. You'll spend as much on a decent rear bag & front rest as you will the 1pcs. that are out there.

Keith
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-28-2021, 07:12 AM
igolfat8's Avatar
igolfat8 is online now
Fire Fighter Appleseed Member

Join Date: 
Apr 2012
Location: 
NW Central, Ohio
Posts: 
162
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just started shooting ARA matches at our local club and I have not seen any rule in ARA that prevents a rear roller. They don't forbit 1 piece rests though. I generally traverse and shoot L to R and have never tried shooting vertically. It seems like when I traverse my shots gradually go more off target so I was wondering if the rear bag may be effecting my accuracy and binding the rifle some how? I am going to make a quickie wood roller and give it a try in practice to see if it makes any difference. I was going to make a flat roller, like a baker's rolling pin, since I don't have a lathe to turn a V shaped roller.

Thanks to all for your responses.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 07-28-2021, 07:34 AM
vlnbyr

Join Date: 
Mar 2010
Location: 
Central Ohio
Posts: 
1,820
TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Get a baking pan and put in a layer of BB's. Put your bag on top, plenty of side to side roller action.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-28-2021, 07:41 AM
pump .22s's Avatar
pump .22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Dec 2010
Location: 
Deep East Texas
Posts: 
12,300
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did lot of experimenting with the rear roller concept when I was shooting club bench matches. I had become dissatisfied with the rear bag on my two piece rest setup (required by rules in the matches I shot) and wanted something a little more consistent on recoil and in support. So, as sort of a proof of concept thing, I cobbled together a rear rest with a pair of rollers:



After some experimenting, I decided this was a definite improvement over the bag setup and used it for several years with great results. Definitely improved the consistency of my shooting.



James
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-28-2021, 08:00 AM
Sagittarius's Avatar
Sagittarius

Join Date: 
Mar 2017
Location: 
In a Tarpon boat.
Posts: 
471
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would like to use a roller rear-rest but my competition rifle and the one I have on order has a flat area on the rear of the stock that won't work with a roller.
I had to go with a custom-built Protektor rear bag but I like it pretty well.

Joe Chacon has the best price on a rear roller rest that I know of.
You can order one from him at... https://04459f5.netsolstores.com/abr...nical-rst.aspx

Last edited by Sagittarius; 07-28-2021 at 08:04 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 07-28-2021, 08:29 AM
Cattleman30's Avatar
Cattleman30
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2019
Location: 
Va
Posts: 
474
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Tested two rear rollers from different manufacturers. One was better made then the other. Both had hysteresis in the windage adj. Can’t recall the vertical.

The front rest interface with the stock is critical with a rear roller as there is little anti cant support. Forend plates help if not running a 3” br stock.

In my case, targets showed more vertical then the best rear bag setup. YMMV. In any case, good to test keeping in mind the “system” has to work together.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-28-2021, 09:12 AM
jqunac

Join Date: 
Aug 2016
Posts: 
125
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
I am not an experienced BR shooter so consider my inexperience when answering my question? Why do we see mostly rear Protector ear bags? Why wouldn’t one use a roller in back to allow more freedom of movement of the rear of the rifle or is this a bad thing resulting in poor accuracy?
I use the rear bag position to adjust for windage so I shoot target rows vertically. I really don't want any rearward movement so I hold it with shoulder pressure. As Patton said there are many ways to skin a cat.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-29-2021, 05:49 PM
Maroy

Join Date: 
Mar 2017
Posts: 
99
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Killough has a rear mechanical rest utilizing rollers. Many of the ARA factory class shooters at my local club use them.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 07-29-2021, 08:59 PM
earnest's Avatar
earnest

Join Date: 
Dec 2010
Location: 
florida
Posts: 
8,003
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jqunac View Post
I use the rear bag position to adjust for windage so I shoot target rows vertically. I really don't want any rearward movement so I hold it with shoulder pressure. As Patton said there are many ways to skin a cat.
every shooter shoulder gives on recoil. trying to limit vs control of cheek and shoulder pressure always results in bullet impact higher than poa... marty
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 07-29-2021, 09:07 PM
earnest's Avatar
earnest

Join Date: 
Dec 2010
Location: 
florida
Posts: 
8,003
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by igolfat8 View Post
I just started shooting ARA matches at our local club and I have not seen any rule in ARA that prevents a rear roller. They don't forbit 1 piece rests though. I generally traverse and shoot L to R and have never tried shooting vertically. It seems like when I traverse my shots gradually go more off target so I was wondering if the rear bag may be effecting my accuracy and binding the rifle some how? I am going to make a quickie wood roller and give it a try in practice to see if it makes any difference. I was going to make a flat roller, like a baker's rolling pin, since I don't have a lathe to turn a V shaped roller.

Thanks to all for your responses.
hang the target sideways with sighters at bottom of target as the odds, 1,3,5,7,9 line up. no one says the one right of INC. has to be shot 1st. marty
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-29-2021, 09:43 PM
earnest's Avatar
earnest

Join Date: 
Dec 2010
Location: 
florida
Posts: 
8,003
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlnbyr View Post
Get a baking pan and put in a layer of BB's. Put your bag on top, plenty of side to side roller action.
seems like a good tip John
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 07-29-2021, 09:46 PM
earnest's Avatar
earnest

Join Date: 
Dec 2010
Location: 
florida
Posts: 
8,003
TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
I did lot of experimenting with the rear roller concept when I was shooting club bench matches. I had become dissatisfied with the rear bag on my two piece rest setup (required by rules in the matches I shot) and wanted something a little more consistent on recoil and in support. So, as sort of a proof of concept thing, I cobbled together a rear rest with a pair of rollers:



After some experimenting, I decided this was a definite improvement over the bag setup and used it for several years with great results. Definitely improved the consistency of my shooting.



James
James, need an adjustment to raise and lowerthe rear rest otherwise adjusting only the front rest by itself results in poi shift be it up or down or vice versa. depending on how the target is shot marty
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:34 PM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2021 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright ©2000-2018 RimfireCentral.com
x