Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-26-2021, 05:16 AM
Gizzy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Little help

I thought about putting this in the reloading forum, but figured it would get more eyes here. I have a few old doubles from grandfathers and one that was my dads uncles. They have set in the safe for awhile now hammers cocked. What I need is someone who has shotgun presses or a few of you just to get all the gauges.

What I would like to have, is just 2 sized hulls for 12, 16, 20 and 410 gauge. I have primers. I want to use them for dummy rounds or test rounds to make sure all
My doubles still fire. Once thatís done then I can use them as snap caps and lower the hammers on all my old doubles. Just looking for 2 empties, sized for each gauge. If you can or know someone who can, send me a pm please.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:38 AM
LuckyGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Post What?

Your better off with Spring loaded Snap-Caps. What you are asking will only last a very short time. The primer works good the first time, then it has already served it purpose. Not much good after that as to protect your firing pin on dry firing, if that was your intention. Or you could just have someone give you some NEW shells and the cut off the ends and dump all the pellets, ECT. then Fire them.
Old 07-26-2021, 08:51 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGuy
Your better off with Spring loaded Snap-Caps. What you are asking will only last a very short time.
Spent shells make great snap caps. All you need to do is knock the spent primers out and stuff pencil erasers into the pockets. I have some 12 gauge shells modified like this back in the early 80s that are still working great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-26-2021, 10:11 AM
HectorFuego

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The OP appears to be concerned that, because the guns were stored with hammers cocked, the springs may have weakened to the point where they don't have enough energy to detonated the primer. No way to test this with snap caps. He's asking for sized hulls into which he can seat one of his primers and test the springs.

The weakening of springs is a legitimate concern. I had it happen to me with a side-lock muzzle loader that was stored at half cock. The hammer had plenty of energy going from full to half cock, but from there to the primer it was almost dead. It's a little maddening to learn your rifle won't detonate a primer two weeks before deer season.

Hector
Old 07-26-2021, 03:13 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Good to see you around Steve

Trust all is well-

pipestone
Old 07-27-2021, 05:31 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HectorFuego View Post
The OP appears to be concerned that, because the guns were stored with hammers cocked, the springs may have weakened to the point where they don't have enough energy to detonated the primer. No way to test this with snap caps. He's asking for sized hulls into which he can seat one of his primers and test the springs.

The weakening of springs is a legitimate concern. I had it happen to me with a side-lock muzzle loader that was stored at half cock. The hammer had plenty of energy going from full to half cock, but from there to the primer it was almost dead. It's a little maddening to learn your rifle won't detonate a primer two weeks before deer season.

Hector

Exactly Hector. My main need is so I can check to be sure which ones still fire and which ones do not. This way if I can make it to the squirrel woods when they are still heavy with leaves, I will know if I have a shotgun to take or if I need my rifle.