WOLF MATCH EXTRA LAPUA/SK VS ELEY Made Chronographed - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-24-2021, 11:24 AM
layer3guru
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
WOLF MATCH EXTRA LAPUA/SK VS ELEY Made Chronographed

Up until about 2018 Wolf 22LR ammunition was made by SK/JAGD/Lapua. About that time, 2018 it changed to be produced by Eley.

For clarity SK is a Lapua owned company and SK along with Wolf ammunition was being made in Germany. Actual Lapua ammunition is made in Germany also but is based out of Finland. Eley branded ammunition on the other hand is made out of the UK.

All though the Wolf brand is very popular mainly known for itís steel cased 7.62◊39 ammunition. For years now it has branched out with other calibers including 22LR. But Wolf is actually not am ammunition maker it is an importer, distributor, exporter as a company.

When I see big changes like this it is usually driven or backed with some sort of financial business case. Meaning Eley under bid Lapua/SK for the contract. Though there is another frame of thought that plays out as SK wanting to focus more on their brand as it has gained popularity in the 22LR world.

My bet or intuition tells me this was driven financially as there is plenty of room for both brands to exist. But that is intuition letís gather the data shoot it across the chronograph on target and see what the data tells us.

Video
https://youtu.be/Me_OG4yO_vg
Old 07-24-2021, 01:37 PM
rexxon123456
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you

Thanks for the video, great as usual---are we going to see a Remington 40X go head to head with the 52D and Kimber 82G for Old farts King of the range?????
Old 07-24-2021, 05:58 PM
Sg1911

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Enjoy watching your videos. Very well done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-24-2021, 06:10 PM
layer3guru

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My buddy just sold his Remington 40X I have found to keep friends I try not to purchase from them to keep from insulting with a price

If I can get my hands on one that would be an awesome shoot off.
Old 07-25-2021, 11:55 AM
rexxon123456
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Good Luck

:b thumb:
Old 07-26-2021, 05:14 AM
ECC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
T

Interesting comparison but not conclusive to me given that the first target and other results represented 10 shots in 3 minutes.

The chronograph results matched the vertical POI’s on the first target and I would liked to have seen all the chronograph readings.

I would easily put my 64’s up against those targets with SK yellow.

Nice lookin’ rifle and thanks for the comparison video.

Last edited by ECC; 07-27-2021 at 02:58 AM.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:01 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not sure if anyone else noticed a bug crawling over the barrel tuner at 13:05 into the video, maybe he crawled into the pepper pots and got vaporized.

Which may explain the high strike on the subsequent shots.

For me ,I have found SK ammo to be good but not as good as Eley Club

However I do get the odd misfire with Eley which negates it from use in my 10/22 with SK its seems quite dirty in my guns and doesn't seem group quite as tightly.

I think Eley use a thinner rim compared to SK and RWS which may explain the odd light strike.

P.S layer you lost some weight, good on you brother!

I've lost 4 stone since lockdown keep up the good work.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:31 AM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

ECC, I agree. My Savage 64 can do that with "Good ammo" like SKPlus. I posted a lengthy comment on YT just today, right after the 'bug' comment. All of my 22s shoot that well, using SKPlus and such. I've never bought/shot 'real Match' ammo cause I don't shoot competitions and SK or other 'good' SV is enough for me. Maybe someday I'll see something like Midas for 1/2 price-sale
I just got an A22 (to keep my B22 company), and I hope it can do better that this too. The A22 (and my B22) was only $340+tx and I'd guess that CZ was waaay over $2000 with that Lothar barrel and chassis. Like they say about dollars and sense.
Old 07-26-2021, 11:35 AM
hcaroselli

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice test. Thanks for posting. Here is what I think I learned. The UK version seemed a little faster and the standard deviation was lower so it seems the UK version is faster and more consistent as far as muzzle velocity. It was also interesting that the point of impact for the UK version was a little high and left from the German version. I wonder why that would happen. Yet when you fired 5 rounds at the small target, the group was tight and pretty centered. I have 2 CZ455s that are bone stock, not even any trigger mods. They both shoot very well. After minimal experimentation I settled on Wolf ammo. For a few years I was using the German version and of course I am now using the UK version. For a shooter at my skill level I honestly don't see any difference. Before the pandemic I tested a few other brands and learned that my rifles like Lapua Center-X. When it becomes available again I will try more. It's good ammo but it is also expensive. Since I am not competing, I will probably stick with the Wolf. Thanks again for a very informative video.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:28 PM
layer3guru

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Hey all thank you for the support it is much appreciated.

ECC and FastEddie it would be awesome to see you join the challenge tons of fun come on over and show off.

Fasteddie just because Match is in the name does not mean it is match ammo as many have stated here before. This ammo is in the same price range of sk rifle match.

I am not sure what they say about dollars and sense but if it is anything like ASSUME I think I may get it. Because I am not even close to 2grand wow that's Anschutz money and down payment on a vudoo

Last edited by layer3guru; 07-26-2021 at 09:30 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 05:46 AM
David Valdina

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Tintin26 looking for magazines I think.

Here are two links to the rifle Tintin26 is talking about. It fires from an open bolt and was not allowed to be imported into the USA. I think he is looking for magazines.

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Gevarm_.22..._Rifles_Series

https://imgur.com/a/nN8bG

===========

I sent his this via email:

Hello David,

I do not speak French. Here is my posting on Rimfire Central. I think you need to look for magazines in European countries. I will also suggest if you want a semi-automatic rifle which shoots .22 short, buy a Browning SA-22 and you will have one of the finest rifles ever made.

Sincerely, David Valdina

Last edited by David Valdina; 07-27-2021 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:46 PM
NevRimfire

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you Marine, always appreciate your fine and thorough work!

Best regards,

Eric