Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-21-2021, 02:09 AM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Compact binoculars...

Looking for a high quality, durable, waterproof set of
Compact binos. Iím a buy once cry once kinda guy so $3-700. Would like some personal reviews so I can see if I can find any locally and have a head start on where to look.

Iron
Old 07-21-2021, 03:24 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Zeiss Jena is a good place to start, a set of older ones can be found on ebay at quite reasonable prices.

If you are primarily using them for hunting at least a x6 magnification, and no higher than x8 in my experience.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/384286221...8AAOSw4dFg9rmL
Old 07-21-2021, 06:30 AM
Lerrab
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What is your idea of compact? If you really want to get into the buy once cry once club, look at a Zeiss 8x32 Victory binocular. If I wasn't sure of what I wanted I wouldn't buy a set or a pair right off, I would just buy a single binocular and see how I liked it!

Last edited by Lerrab; 07-21-2021 at 06:34 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-21-2021, 07:15 AM
crankythunder

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Hey Irons:

I own a couple medium to high quality binoculars and a pair of top of the line Swarovski's. Used to need them for work and now I rarely do not have a pair by my side. Usually two pair, a pair of the alpen's or steiners for the idiot that wants to borrow them to drop on the concrete and the Swarovski's for myself.

Most of my binoculars have 50 mm objectives, once you look through the Swarovski's the compacts really do not measure up at all. Furthermore, the full size binoculars are easier to hold steady to your face. For me, I just do not bother with the compacts, do not get the satisfaction or pleasure from using them.

Now with that being said, you are looking for value and economics in this purchase. I would take a hard look at the Athlon Cronus series of binoculars. While I personally have never looked through Athlon binoculars, I purchase a Athlon Cronus spotting scope that is simply breathtaking. Did not want to spend the $3,500 for the Swarovski's or the Kowa for the amount of use I get with a spotting scope. NY cameraland usually has some good deals on the Athlon optics, it is where I got my Athlon spotter from.

Regards,
Crankster
Old 07-21-2021, 09:54 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankythunder
Most of my binoculars have 50 mm objectives, once you look through the Swarovski's the compacts really do not measure up at all. Furthermore, the full size binoculars are easier to hold steady to your face. For me, I just do not bother with the compacts, do not get the satisfaction or pleasure from using them.
Yep. Compacts are pretty worthless near dawn and dusk, or deep into black timber. Larger objective lenses gather more light for better clarity.

Compacts are best suited for well lit situations - like watching a football game from the stands.
Old 07-21-2021, 10:18 AM
LtCrunch
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
"Compact" is a somewhat nebulous term Iron85. Describing your intent and purpose might help narrow the field. Here's an example of a pair of Leicas that I bought for my wife a few years ago https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...lar_Black.html

Crispy views and excellent color rendition with no edge of field aberration. I do agree with the others that if you up your ante the Zeiss and Swarovski offerings are top shelf.

Frank
Old 07-21-2021, 10:07 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Look at the Kowa binoculars for some realy highly rated compacts.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:15 PM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Compact as in small I know they wonít perform as well as a full size set, but I want something light and that wonít take up a lot of space. Primarily for hunting and backpacking.

Iron
Old 07-24-2021, 08:16 PM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil in Alabama View Post
Look at the Kowa binoculars for some realy highly rated compacts.
Thanks Phil Iíll give them a look
Old 07-24-2021, 08:31 PM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LtCrunch View Post
"Compact" is a somewhat nebulous term Iron85. Describing your intent and purpose might help narrow the field. Here's an example of a pair of Leicas that I bought for my wife a few years ago https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...lar_Black.html

Crispy views and excellent color rendition with no edge of field aberration. I do agree with the others that if you up your ante the Zeiss and Swarovski offerings are top shelf.

Frank
These were actually on my list to look at. I figured Leica would be at or near the top for anything you could find.

Iron
Old 07-24-2021, 09:03 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...51ddc2c7b8af39

I've had those same Leica binoculars for year's, and I love them.
So light you won't even notice that they are hanging on your neck, and of course the superb Leica glass and 10X to boot.
The externe light weight is a very big deal to me. I don't know of a lighter pair of 10X25 binoculars (9.3 oz's) out there.
The Swarovski 10x30 is much heavier, and way more expensive. Not that the price is the biggest deal for me.
Highly recommend from an optics snob.

Haven't looked at the competition in the same amount of years, so there's that.

Sorry the picture is so out of focus, old cell phone photo.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 07-25-2021 at 07:12 AM.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:33 PM
Pat McCoy
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Another option to at least look into.

https://mavenbuilt.com/collections/b...32119399448654

I haven't looked through their compact optics, but the regular size are excellent quality.
Old 07-24-2021, 09:51 PM
AzShooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I bought a set of Nikon compacts and am very happy with them. I basically use them for spotting my shots at the range or watching women.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:08 AM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
As long as you understand the trade offs and can live with them, there is nothing wrong with going compact if you need to go small and light.

I own top tier compacts from Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss and Nikon (Premiers). My favorite is still the 10x25 Leica Ultravid, which I use only for birding when I need to go light, but unless you go used, you'll have to stretch that budget a bit, but well worth it. The Nikon Premier LX compact, though, is probably the best value, here, and it does deserve to be in this tier of compacts. My 10x25 Nikon stays in the range bag and is used for my long range pistol shooting. I do not use them for watching guys (at least when my husband is with me ).

Last edited by Rimfiregal; 07-25-2021 at 10:11 AM.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:49 PM
Hobbiest

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Not as high as your price range and not sure of warranty but I have Nikon prostaff 7s 8x30 and am very happy with them. They are under 200.00 and I looked through 500.00 ones at bass pro and liked these better. Reviews were good on then which is one reason I bought.