Teslong Bore Scope - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-17-2021, 12:53 PM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

I hate making bad reviews. My Teslong arrived yesterday and I was looking forward to trying it out. Now for the record, I have been fooling around with computers since the operating system was DOS so I'm not a computer dummy. Actually since 1979.

I first hooked it up to my wife Window 10 laptop. The light came on but I could not access the camera. I can only access the camera that is already in the laptop.

So I hooked up to my Win 10 Desktop and the light flashed as I plugged it in but even when I go to the device and printer page, it shows up, not as a camera but an unknown device. Ran the trouble shooter, restarted the computer and still no joy.

Life is too short for me to have to spend an hour or so trying to get the blasted thing to work so it is going back.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:35 PM
BadaBing11
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone View Post
They must have went up in price some..I think mine was less than 40.00 shipped..

I really like it..I did think something was wrong with mine when I bought it..It was just out of focus and fuzzy..I realized I just had it out of focus with the little threaded lock ring for the lens..I have seen reviews on Amazon that others have sent them back for this reason..It was not the scopes fault..It was my user error
I find if I unscrew the mirror a little bit from the camera, I can get a much better focused image . I use metal tape to tape it in place and cover exposed threads .
Old 07-17-2021, 02:26 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKnarr View Post
I hate making bad reviews. My Teslong arrived yesterday and I was looking forward to trying it out. Now for the record, I have been fooling around with computers since the operating system was DOS so I'm not a computer dummy. Actually since 1979.

I first hooked it up to my wife Window 10 laptop. The light came on but I could not access the camera. I can only access the camera that is already in the laptop.

So I hooked up to my Win 10 Desktop and the light flashed as I plugged it in but even when I go to the device and printer page, it shows up, not as a camera but an unknown device. Ran the trouble shooter, restarted the computer and still no joy.

Life is too short for me to have to spend an hour or so trying to get the blasted thing to work so it is going back.
Do you get a funky looking camera icon on the upper right side after going to the camera app? My Windows 10 displays this "button" when the teslong is plugged in. I click on it and viola. At first I thought this was just the reverse camera button.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2021, 02:55 PM
MKnarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
carbine. after your comment, I unpacked the thing, fired up the Laptop and got the camera app started and THEN noticed a camera button in the upper right corner of the app that had a camera button that obviously was meant to "change" cameras and of course the "other camera" was the Teslong. Until now I was so upset that only the laptop camera came up that I never noticed the button to change cameras.

But now I am missing the coupling that is meant to hold the mirror in place once you have the focus adjusted. But I think I can make if I have the correct tap threads. It looks like 10-32 but maybe not.

It also occurred to me since it is a desktop it doesn't have a camera so it doesn't have a camera app so it doesn't recognize a camera when plugged in. I have now installed the camera app so if I decide to use the bore scope on the desktop is should also work there.

Thanks guys and especially carbine and once adjusted the image is nice and showed that I am able to remove the carbon ring in my Anschutz Shilen barrel

Last edited by MKnarr; 07-17-2021 at 03:25 PM.
Old 07-19-2021, 02:57 PM
MKnarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Today I got to put the Teslong Bore scope to a use. My Anschutz which was used in "My Crazy Ammo Test #2 on Saturday had about 145 rounds through
it since it was cleaned for that test.
Here is picture of the carbon ring forming,

The carbon ring on my Shilen barrel with Octagon rifling and an ECX reamer started the carbon build up at the place where the case ends and extends up the leade about 1/8 inch or half way at this time For 145 shots this isn't a lot and in my rifle doesn't seem to be a problem until about 400 rounds.
Here is a picture again after cleaning the throat.

I use a 17 caliber nylon brush with a bit of 0000 bronze wool wrapped around it and a short rod. I then scrubbed the chamber with 20 short rapid strokes. This time I used Kroil only. I would guess after more rounds and more build up I may have to use TM Solution which is what I usually use.

In that test I alternated match ammo with bulk ammo and some had copper plating. There was no lead build up or shiny copper anywhere before cleaning. I suspect that hand lapped barrels do tend to foul less with lead. I have a S&W M&P .22LR pistol made by Walther and that barrel leads terrible.
Old 07-19-2021, 08:08 PM
Pressman
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I received mine last Tuesday, why I waited so long is beyond me. With more than a dozen .22 rimfires, So far: My neat little Iver Johnson has no rifling, it looks like someone started cutting then stopped after an inch, the rest is a roughly drilled hole; the DSM-34 Mauser that Bubba got ahold of was allowed to get dirt and rust in the bore 6 inches from the muzzle, it may shoot but needs a better front sight; and sadly my BR-50 build has a brand new, rusted out junk Shilen barrel. It seems the elderly gentleman who built it just used what ever was on hand and the barrel is badly pitted for 12 inches from the muzzle back.
On the + side several others that have been shooting well have very nice bores.

I have not seen any built up lead in any barrel, yet.

Ken
Old 07-19-2021, 10:45 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
My Teslong borescope is the one with the fixed rod and the monitor. After using it for a while, I was somewhat disappointed at first. After charging it up for the second or third time, I downloaded some pics to the computer. It's like a camera - the photos are in the folders. After enlarging the photos on the computer screen, I realized there is a slight learning curve between using just the Teslong monitor and the enlarged pic on the computer screen. I've got it. Now I realize what I am seeing using the Teslong monitor. I just hate it took me a while to figure it out. It probably helps that I have a Lyman borescope as well, and used it for a few years. Yes, I like the Teslong borescope:

https://teslong.com/collections/rifl...-ips-hd-screen

Only slight problem is the 90 degree mirror still moves around just a bit using simple picture paste. I have been considering this Loctite product:

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-55533..._t1_B012A4USS2
Old 07-20-2021, 07:41 AM
MKnarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
amohog. There is a little collar that screws out and holds the mirror in place. I thought it was missing and apparently others think so as well. Turns out it is the last 1/8 inch of the SS shaft. It's hard to see but you will see a slight line in the shaft. When I e mailed [email protected] I thought mine was missing and then found it. They said "no problem, that's a common issue".
Old 07-20-2021, 09:32 AM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKnarr View Post
amohog. There is a little collar that screws out and holds the mirror in place. I thought it was missing and apparently others think so as well. Turns out it is the last 1/8 inch of the SS shaft. It's hard to see but you will see a slight line in the shaft. When I e mailed [email protected] I thought mine was missing and then found it. They said "no problem, that's a common issue".
Yes, I have been aware of this from the get go. I have also worked as a mechanic and was certified as such. It is a "lock nut" so to speak - to keep the 90 degree attachment in proper focus. This is where I need to apply a dab of adhesive between then when "finger tightening" to keep it in focus during use. If they are both aluminum, it's probably a no go for the loctite.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:30 AM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
My rigged arrived a week ago. When it got here I only put it in a barrel to see if it worked then put it away.

Today I cleaned a few guns and tried it out. I already had a camera app in the laptop with windows 10 for the camera that has tape over it. Went to the app, clicked the change camera icon, and up and running.
It tells you about the lock ring and focusing in the manual, if we stop to look. I had trouble with it loosening in the first attempt. I then snugged the ring up, then held onto the ring and tip while tightening them together, and haven't had it come loose. I've tried to avoid rotating counterclockwise when in the bore where it's tighter.
Old 07-20-2021, 11:34 AM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ammohog View Post
If they are both aluminum, it's probably a no go for the loctite.
Maybe a sliver of teflon tape, or a dab of fingernail polish.
Old 07-20-2021, 02:30 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye57 View Post
Maybe a sliver of teflon tape, or a dab of fingernail polish.
Fingernail polish!!?? Dang! I just knew that 25 years ago I should have put her 3 (or was it 4?) motel buddies on the Christmas Card list and just kept her around for the fingernail polish! It finally came back to bite me! I know clear fingernail polish works for the screws on your glasses, but never had to take them out again. Just don't know if it comes apart easy with the borescope (if you need to make and adjustment) without any damage???? Know or hear of anything about that? I do have a heat gun ........however I want the 90 degree mirror to stay in place.
Old 07-20-2021, 03:39 PM
Hawkeye57

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I checked the rod, lock ring, and mirror holder with a magnet. They are not aluminum. Must be some kind of chinese steel.
Old 07-20-2021, 04:36 PM
MKnarr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
According to the literature, it is SS. I would bet every one who has mounted a scope has blue lock tight. I think the problem may be you might need to adjust it for different diameter calibers.

Well I was a machinist in my early life and I missed the "lock nut" in the beginning as did others so stupidly I thought you night have as well.
Old 07-20-2021, 05:54 PM
ammohog

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
Yep, every now and then the "Goofy" (Mickey's friend) brain cell wakes up and causes some chaos. I really think every now and then everyone has a dose, some more that others. Ha! I know I've had my share. Not above it yet. That being said, I'm headed out to a few hardware stores find some of the Loctite 222 or the Permatex 24024 both recommended for 1/4" or less fittings that may require adjusting. I feel something Goofy coming on........ Nothing like a wild goose chase to put you in the mood for ordering online. ......AH