Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-07-2021, 01:28 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Teslong Bore Scope

Welp, my Teslong bore scope, arrive today, hook up was fast and easy. I ran it up and down the barrels of my Winchester Wildcat, my RPRF and my 1951 Remington 510 TargetMaster.

I not really sure of what I looking at, I see the lands and the grooves, and what look like light scratches. Are they from the rifling or from the bullets, or a combination of both.

The Remington, which was bought at a estate sale, was in battered condition, but after a clean up, shoots well. There are obvious splotches and pock marks in the bore, but the lands and grooves, are quite visible. Not only was the stock and metal on the bolt handle and barrel scuffed and the bluing worn away, but the inside of the barrel was exceedingly dirty, it was a chore to clean.

The bore scope is an interesting tool, to have, whether I ever get to fully understand what I looking at, is to be seen.
Old 07-07-2021, 01:54 PM
jaia
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
The fine scratches you see are the result of the silica particles in the primer residue
being dragged through the bore by each consecutive bullet fired.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:01 PM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaia View Post
The fine scratches you see are the result of the silica particles in the primer residue
being dragged through the bore by each consecutive bullet fired.
Maybe....maybe not

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2021, 03:11 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
PW, unlikely those barrels were freshly hand lappped.

Those scratches are due to the silica particles.
Calfee and Kolbe both acknowledge that the silica particles produce that wear pattern.

Last edited by jaia; 07-07-2021 at 03:31 PM.
Old 07-07-2021, 03:57 PM
pepper51

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
bore scope

Boilerjack, you did well to buy a bore scope. You will learn how to read what it shows with time. I use my scope on a regular basis. Some folks think you are better off leaving them in the box but I look at a bore scope as a tool. Looking down a barrel with a light on one end just shows it is not plugged up with bugs. The Teslong is a good starter to learn about carbon ring, copper streaks, carbon build up, worn throated area, crowns, tooling marks, etc.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:03 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The true intent of my first post, was easy it is to get a in time look-see at the bore condition in your firearms. The scope to my front door, was $50, from the time I opened the package, to seeing lands and grooves up close and personal was about 5 minutes.

At this time, can I accurately tell you about fine abrasion marks are telling me, no, can I see pock marks in the barrel, can I see long term neglect in the bore of my Remington, yes I can. Was I surprised I saw clearly defined lands and grooves that are about 70 yrs old, and that I was also surprise about how well the majority of the barrel bore looks, yes I am.

When I ran it up and down the barrel of the RPRF, the Winchester Wildcat, the RARF and the Henry pump, I could clearly see the lands and grooves, again fine scratches, but no build up of any kind, no pock marks or anything that looked abnormal, from what I imagined it should look like. So far my cleaning reunite is working.

Again an interesting tool, relatively cheap, easy to set and use, Im only sorry I did not get one sooner.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:46 PM
PigButtons
US Air Force Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
A lot of what you see in a factory barrel is machining marks left by the tooling. The poc-marks are probably the result of rust but could just as well be from metal defects made worse by the hot gases passing through under high pressure just behind the bullet as it travels along.

The good news is most of the time none of those things affect accuracy much if at all unless they are severe. I have several OLD rifles that have bores that look like a dirt road after a heavy rain and they still shoot sub MOA.

A clean barrel will be a light gray to silver color, black is carbon, and in the throat (the dreaded carbon ring) carbon looks like wet coffee grounds packed down and stuck to the walls. Lead looks like a lighter gray patch or streak that runs parallel to the bore usually on the lands. It looks almost like cold butter on white bread and does not have the same texture as the barrel's steel but rather it will be smoother. Copper looks yellow to orange much the same shape as the lead but tends to be on both the lands and grooves.

You will also see little blobs of yellow from time to time in the barrel. My guess is that this is unburned sulfur that has precipitated out of the hot gas. I just ignore it for the most part.
Old 07-07-2021, 05:52 PM
PigButtons
US Air Force Fire Fighter NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
I had a thread on another site asking what other uses people found for their bore scope and some of the answers were very interesting. Here's a few.

Looking in a drain to see the clog.
looking inside a spark plug hole to see a burnt valve
looking inside reloading dies to see rust, scratches and contamination
looking in one's nose, ear, mouth, to find "problems"
looking behind heavy furniture for lost items
Old 07-07-2021, 06:41 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Because of work, I have multiple bore scopes, just none this small in diameter. The next smallest one, I have, is 1/2 in diameter.

I wonder what the barrel that just had 200-300 rounds run through it, would look like before and after cleaning??
Old 07-07-2021, 07:00 PM
jaia

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I can answer that.

Now that you have a borescope, so can you.
Old 07-07-2021, 08:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep!
Old 07-07-2021, 10:49 PM
carbine

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Coincidently I just got my first Teslong bore scope delivered yesterday too. Paid the same $50, and it was just plug and play to my laptop with windows 10. I was peering at the scary lookin' innards of a rifle barrel in about 5 minutes too.

Had a hard time putting it down so I could call it a day and get some sleep because it was so fascinating to see things I've never been able to see before on my guns. A great tool to satisfy my OCD tendencies, and at only $50 a no-brainer to anybody even mildly interested in their firearms.
Old 07-08-2021, 01:52 PM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
They must have went up in price some..I think mine was less than 40.00 shipped..

I really like it..I did think something was wrong with mine when I bought it..It was just out of focus and fuzzy..I realized I just had it out of focus with the little threaded lock ring for the lens..I have seen reviews on Amazon that others have sent them back for this reason..It was not the scopes fault..It was my user error
Old 07-08-2021, 03:26 PM
LuckyGuy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbineone View Post
They must have went up in price some..I think mine was less than 40.00 shipped..

I really like it..I did think something was wrong with mine when I bought it..It was just out of focus and fuzzy..I realized I just had it out of focus with the little threaded lock ring for the lens..I have seen reviews on Amazon that others have sent them back for this reason..It was not the scopes fault..It was my user error
The vendors probably hate it when people send stuff back because they say defective. It was all the person fault that bought it, did not read the instructions. We all know about stupid people.
Old 07-09-2021, 10:29 AM
Pressman
US Army Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks to all the positive comments here, I just ordered a Teslong scope.

As a collector or better, an accumulator of vintage .22's it will be very handy to access bore condition.

And the last one I brought home was super nice outside, but the bore turned out to be a sewer pipe. I need to see what is going on in there.

Ken