Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-21-2021, 10:09 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
A collection of parts

I have always loved the toggle actions and aquired another PWS Summit action with a KIDD style rear hold down a while ago. Added a Jard trigger set to 1lbs, VQ 17hm2 barrel and a Bravo stock. Topped with a Sightron S-Tac 4-20◊50. Sighting in tomorrow. Gophers on Wednesday.

So far only thing I'd change is slightly taller rings so I could move scope forward a couple notches and some grip wrap
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1449-1.jpg (327.1 KB, 31 views)
Old 06-25-2021, 12:39 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Used it in the field yesterday and ended up ordering the VQ firepin/extractor. Extraction was a constant issue. When I contacted Volquartsen if I needed the firing pin Scott stated it works in conjunction with the extractor to help the issue. Sure hope it fixes it as the rifle prints incredible groups. Should be here next week. I'll get another kit for my 1st PWS if it works out as it has the issue although it not often.
Old 06-25-2021, 08:31 PM
Schmied

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sweet looking rifle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-26-2021, 11:40 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmied View Post
Sweet looking rifle
Thanks.
Old 06-29-2021, 04:20 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Haven't install VQ parts yet but have found that it is liking some magazines more than others. Took 55 gophers last night and going out again tonight. Had 2-3 light strikes also. I may try a different trigger group this weekend as the Jard are different and maybe the gun just don't like it. KIDD 2-stage perhaps 🤔
Old 06-29-2021, 11:13 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Turns out my FTF was head space. I'll tear it down in a couple days to see why.
Old 07-02-2021, 12:27 AM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
The screw on the linkage pivot had come loose. I'll degrease and use blue lock tight upon reassembly. Going to install VQ firepin and extractor. I'll take some pics of the internals layer out for those that have never seen the iner workings of the Summit. Elegantly simple.
Old 07-02-2021, 09:46 AM
Neel
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Old 07-02-2021, 11:21 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I once had a try with an Anschutz Biathlon rifle.

It actually set my heart racing

th only other gun to this was surprisingly an air pistol the Stetr evo 10 P.C.P rapid fire air pistol that had heat seeking pellets you had to actively try to miss not to get an x with this thing

I love .22 toggle actions

I even used a Schmidt Rubin Swiss straight pull rifle at 600 yards it was an absolute tack driver, with open sights

some of these rifles are actually available in the UK off licence as they are considered and obsolete caliber
Old 07-02-2021, 08:26 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Look out gophers! I'm betting that rifle will thump a bunch of them. I have an Anschutz 1502, which shoots quite well, but I've always wondered about building something like pur OP's gun. Have fun and let us know how the gopher hunt goes.
Old 07-03-2021, 01:33 AM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (47)
Thatís a sweet looking rig!

Iron
Old 07-03-2021, 11:21 AM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbates66 View Post
Look out gophers! I'm betting that rifle will thump a bunch of them. I have an Anschutz 1502, which shoots quite well, but I've always wondered about building something like pur OP's gun. Have fun and let us know how the gopher hunt goes.
Ui added 150 kills with this rifle already since built. Would of had many more but I had to set it aside for repairs. She's back in the game again now though.

I ended up sourcing a new pivot pin screw as the one in there only had 2.5 threads to hold. It now has 4.5. Blue lock tight and torqued to 18-20 inch/lbs. The linkage is much tighter and runs smooth now. The 1st owner must not have used it much. I know he had sent it back to PWS for light strikes and extraction issues. I'm hoping the with the new screw and VQ parts It'll be worry free. Only time will tell.

I will add that the more I use the Bravo stock, the less I enjoy my Titan stock. Time will tell if I do a Titan o Bravo swap on the other Summit.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:44 PM
9x19

TPC Rating: 
100% (49)
nodak,

I'm glad you're into the Summit actions...

I came across a (supposedly new) Volquartsen Summit action at a really low price (no trigger but I have some 10/22 assemblies that should work) and jumped on it.

I have a Beyer 18" lightweight barrel in .17 HM2 that will go on it... and I may have some questions for you down the road.

I have a nylon Hogue stock to use while setting it up, but I might opt for a more target-focused stock later, so I'd enjoy hearing your thoughts on the Titan vs the Bravo.

Happy 4th to you and yours.
Old 07-03-2021, 01:06 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nodak View Post
Ui added 150 kills with this rifle already since built. Would of had many more but I had to set it aside for repairs. She's back in the game again now though.

I ended up sourcing a new pivot pin screw as the one in there only had 2.5 threads to hold. It now has 4.5. Blue lock tight and torqued to 18-20 inch/lbs. The linkage is much tighter and runs smooth now. The 1st owner must not have used it much. I know he had sent it back to PWS for light strikes and extraction issues. I'm hoping the with the new screw and VQ parts It'll be worry free. Only time will tell.

I will add that the more I use the Bravo stock, the less I enjoy my Titan stock. Time will tell if I do a Titan o Bravo swap on the other Summit.
I'm curious about accuracy as it pertains to ammo consistency with your rifle. My Annie 1502 will shoot a ragged one-hole group at 50yds....80% of the time. I inevitably have two flyers with nearly every ten-shot group, regardless of ammo, even the much touted Eley. Actually, now that I think sbout it, Federal was the most accurate for me. What kind of accuracy are you getting? Does the ammo brand matter? I mostly use mine for squirrels. I use my Anschutz 1517MPR for prairie dogs.
Old 07-03-2021, 06:44 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (50)
Just had it out to test reliability. The VQ stuff works good. Shot 50 rounds. No gophers out, storm coming in. Ejection was 100% had three fail-to-fire though. Using Hornady right now as it's always on the shelf here in ND. Haven't used any of my Eley just yet in it as when I grouped it at initial sight in I had 5 shot groups all touching. So far I'm pleased with the upgrade as long as the FTFire stop or are rare.
The extractor looked same when I held the old one next to it, other than it was silver. Both seemed sharp. The firing pin on the other hand was shorter by quite a bit. Longer/stronger spring. Seems like the goal was to keep the pin from pushing on the case while extracting.