Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-17-2021, 05:46 PM
LESchwartz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
JC Higgins Model 88

Yeah, I already know it's not a *real* High Standard, but it's close enough for me to post about it here . . .

I've been on a quest to find a revolver to use to introduce my grandkids to shooting:

1) I first picked up a H&R 623, but the lack of a transfer bar safety and the hassle of reloading made me keep on looking. However, these seem like a decent enough pistol, and I can't say too much bad about it.

2) Then I picked up a Rohm RG23 on the cheap. This pistol was a real mess when I first received it from a less than stellar seller on GB: The calendar lockup was non-existent and there were many light strikes in DA mode. I replaced the firing pin & spring and reassembled the trigger springs the way they're supposed to be. Since then, it runs OK. But it doesn't run good enough to prevent me from continuing my quest.

3) After that, I picked up a Charter Arms Target Pathfinder. I had high hopes, but there something messed up with the trigger and it's going back to Charter for a looksee. For more information, see: https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1221087.

4) And finally, a JC Higgins Model 88. Not only is this pistol the most accurate of the bunch, but I didn't experience one single issue with over 150 rounds down range today. I'm a little worried the grips might be a tough large for the grandkids, but I still think my quest for a decent revolver is now over.

Before he passed away, my dad was a member of the "HSCA", but I no longer have any of the publications he had. Any help you guys can give me to help reacquaint myself with pistols would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Larry