Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-22-2021, 09:56 AM
vaguru
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
August NRL22 COF, Again

Shot the August COF yesterday.

Don't know why NRL22 still has 10 shots Standing!

This was a major disservice to shooters, scores were low with some not scoring any points. Last time they did that a major uprising occurred and it was stated that Unsupported would be minimized. Not saying unsupported should be eliminated, but 10 shots standing, at 3 different distances in 2 minutes? Come on! I used to shoot Rifle silhouette, 5 shots 2 1/2 minutes, offhand. Was doable, but 10 shots in less time?

I normally shoot the standard COF even though I shoot in OG class. Usually score in the 350-400 range, occasionally lower in COF's with lots of transitions or standing. Never can compare scores with other clubs/shooters because you never know what modifications were made to the COF.

Now there are OG/Adaptive recommendations.

I'm 70+ years old and can no longer hold a rifle up for standing due to physical limitations, so this month I finally decided to shoot the OG Recommendation, but did not shoot any stage off the bench. I just wanted to see what I could do with the option.

I cleaned 3 stages, missed 2 targets due to a wind/mirage change on the KYL and timed out with one shot remaining on the saw horse.

Total score, 490.7. Yup, one saved round (my fault) and 2 misses due to misread on conditions.

My observations after the shoot.

Shooting prone on targets set for standing not equitable.

Shooting only 2 transitions on the ladder seemed equitable for those of us that can't get back up once down.

Starting in position saves a great deal of time.

Current rules allowing any bag/s, pillow bags, are a game changer.

However, if one wants to compare scores with others in OG, there is no other option. Required to shoot OG recommendations for some sort of base line.

After the scoring was completed, looking at what other class scores were, I didn't feel gratified, but rather disappointed for those that had to put up with the devastating Standing stage. Many long faces where that one stage decimated their total score.
Old 08-23-2021, 07:51 AM
tooltime

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also shot the August COF. This was my first ever NRL22 match. I found it very challenging do to all of the rifle shooting I do is off a bench sighting in or prone hunting.
I need to practice shooting off of barrels, ladders and sawhorses

Tooltime
Old 08-23-2021, 08:04 AM
MManning

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's a game, not training for war.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2021, 08:25 AM
tooltime

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's a game, not training for war.

I know it’s a game and I need to practice shooting out of position to do better I only scored 290
Old 08-23-2021, 08:59 AM
gunguy308

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If your so against the standing stages, I hope you would have voiced your concern with NRL22 when the COF was made available (July 27th BTW). It's a sport/game, this is the 1st standing stage of the 2021/2022 season. So 14 stages with no standing and 1 with. I understand some can't physically do it, that's why they did adaptive. But it comes back to the oldest problem, how do you make it fun for the newer/casual shooter while still providing a challenge for the top shooters. With that said, the COF is available long before the first match, if you have fellow shooters struggling, maybe advise them to download it (NRL22.org) and practice it. But it's not a disservice, it's a challenge. When you have a tough stage you have 2 options, dwell on the 1 stage that kicked your butt, or say to yourself "that was rough, I really need to work on that" and MOVE ON. Do you know what kills the fun faster than a hard stage? The attitude of your squad.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Old 08-23-2021, 09:03 AM
vaguru

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you scored 290 with that COF you did real well, providing you shot the standard COF. The Standing stage was a score buster for many or most.
Old 08-23-2021, 09:53 AM
vaguru

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
gun guy,

I don't have a problem with a Standing stage, just one where it is 10 shots at 3 different distances!

I don't think a new shooter would think that stage "fun".

I'm a former NRA Silhouette Rifle shooter, small bore and high power both. Master class, Grand Slam recipient. Former NRA/CMP Service Rifle shooter, Master class, Distinguished Rifleman, Presidents Hundred recipient. National, Regional and State titles won. I'm not against standing!

If it would have been 3 shots standing at 45 yds, then 3 shots kneeling at 60 yds and 4 shots sitting at 75 yds, or something similar, I would not have had an issue. I just think 10 shots standing is too much in that time limit, especially when there are 3 distances.

Voicing opinion/concern to NRL22 about a COF that has been finalized and posted? Good Luck with that. And 5 days, or even a week advance notice is not enough time to get anything done about it.

I am not against NRL22, just believe they need to think things through a bit better for the COF's. Some in the past year or so have really been very confusing/tedious.

Our club has had many new shooters come out for their first match. After the shoot is over, most say I need to work on "that". Never see them again. Why? Many reasons, but I think most are not willing to put in the time or work required. And in my mind the "biggie", it wasn't "fun".

Most people have more "fun" when they score better.

I do agree with your assessment of the biggest "fun" killer, attitude. Been shooting competitively for over 50 years, have seen it all at one time or another.
Old 08-23-2021, 11:03 AM
gunguy308

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaguru View Post
gun guy,

I don't have a problem with a Standing stage, just one where it is 10 shots at 3 different distances!

I don't think a new shooter would think that stage "fun".

I'm a former NRA Silhouette Rifle shooter, small bore and high power both. Master class, Grand Slam recipient. Former NRA/CMP Service Rifle shooter, Master class, Distinguished Rifleman, Presidents Hundred recipient. National, Regional and State titles won. I'm not against standing!

If it would have been 3 shots standing at 45 yds, then 3 shots kneeling at 60 yds and 4 shots sitting at 75 yds, or something similar, I would not have had an issue. I just think 10 shots standing is too much in that time limit, especially when there are 3 distances.

Voicing opinion/concern to NRL22 about a COF that has been finalized and posted? Good Luck with that. And 5 days, or even a week advance notice is not enough time to get anything done about it.

I am not against NRL22, just believe they need to think things through a bit better for the COF's. Some in the past year or so have really been very confusing/tedious.

Our club has had many new shooters come out for their first match. After the shoot is over, most say I need to work on "that". Never see them again. Why? Many reasons, but I think most are not willing to put in the time or work required. And in my mind the "biggie", it wasn't "fun".

Most people have more "fun" when they score better.

I do agree with your assessment of the biggest "fun" killer, attitude. Been shooting competitively for over 50 years, have seen it all at one time or another.
Of course they are not going to change a finalized COF, never said they would. But if you feel it's unreasonable, how else will they take that into consideration for future COF? But since they approved it, maybe they could give you the reason as to why they approved it.

I agree people have more fun when they score better. But this is also a competition, if we all score amazing then how do they decide who goes to Nationals next year? And I don't believe you need to score well to have fun, your squad makes it fun. I have had some terrible stage scores over the last 3 years shooting this kind of competition, but I always had fun because the people you shoot with make it fun. Otherwise it would be a tad boring.

There is always going to be a stage that kicks your butt.
And yea some come out to try this and don't come back, and that's unfortunate. This kind of competition is not for everyone, but I respect those that give it a try, even if they don't come back.

Nrl22 is always looking for new stage suggestions, it sounds like with your vast shooting experience, the NRL22 could benefit from you submitting stages.

Your lucky to have shot option 1 for that stage. We shot option 2, despite all the remaining stages being option 1. It definitely made it more challenging.

Old 08-23-2021, 11:40 AM
PWNolan

TPC Rating: 
100% (25)
I don't see what the issue is. Everybody's shooting the same stage. What kills me is that they allow slings. I think they should have at least one offhand stage each match with (no support & no slings). Same with PRS22

The three different distances doesn't seem like a big deal. For option 1 I'd dial in for 60 yds and hold 1/2 MIL under for 45 yds and 1/2 MIL over for 75 yds. Maybe a little more each way if they used option 2

CMP Rimfire Sporter does a offhand rapid fire stage. Each string is 5 rounds in 30 seconds (or 5 rounds in 25 seconds for semi-autos). The rapid fire stages were a lot of fun IMO. Nobody complained because they're part of the match

Old 08-24-2021, 11:57 AM
gunguy308

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't read PM's on something we are discussing here. If you want to post it here that's up to you.

Old 08-24-2021, 02:06 PM
mkprz
US Army Veteran Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
re: Aug option 2 on standing stage @ PRGC

we decided on Op2 because the targets were bigger
Old 08-24-2021, 09:11 PM
660grizzlyguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
nrl22

I like the wide variety of stages. About the only complaints we've had are the stages that are "memory" stages. ie. shoot one at 60, shoot one at 95, shoot one support side at 43, shoot two at 87 off a 2 gal bucket, etc. Too many shots at wrong targets.
Old 08-25-2021, 08:43 AM
vaguru

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Sorry, won't bother you again.

Keep up the good shooting!
Old 08-29-2021, 08:14 PM
Starbuck

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shot the Northern Colorado Rod & Gun Club NRL-22 match on Saturday.

Dude was shooting the "offhand unsupported" stage in the "rice paddy prone" position, i.e. squatting, both elbows supported on both knees.

MD did not penalize the shooter. And for good reason. NRL-22 management defines "standing" as just "both feet on the ground."

Is this definition lame or what? It invites this sort of gaming, and should to be modified, IMHO.

Last edited by Starbuck; 08-30-2021 at 05:24 AM.
Old 08-30-2021, 07:42 AM
vaguru

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is no way that squatting is standing.

MD not penalizing shooter was an error in judgment, regardless of the NRL22 definition.

Unfortunately, NRL22 has omitted the supplement to the COF's since March of 2021. That supplement page defined the unsupported positions, to a degree, with pictures!

The other forum you posted this on has many other reasons why.