New to me Supermatic Model 107 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-21-2021, 08:07 PM
Rmeintel
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New to me Supermatic Model 107

Alright guys I need some help. I brought home a Suoermatic Model 107 and when disassembling the barrel from frame the barrel takedown plunger fell out. As it turns out it didn’t fall out it broke. Now I need to source a “new” one. Could anyone point me in the right direction? I’ve included a picture of the broken part
Attached Images
File Type: jpg B2F31698-BD38-4E40-98BC-91A84CA346C2_1619053605037.jpg (580.6 KB, 11 views)
Old 04-21-2021, 09:32 PM
FuzzyVision

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://interarmstx.com/product/high...-down-plunger/
Old 04-21-2021, 10:38 PM
FuzzyVision

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
While you're ordering the take down button, consider getting the full spring kit. You'll at least want to put a fresh recoil spring in there before you shoot it much.

https://interarmstx.com/product/high...-and-sear-bar/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2021, 04:27 AM
Edcnh
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I agree. Get the full spring kit and change the recoil spring every 10-15 thousand rounds.

Last edited by Edcnh; 04-22-2021 at 04:27 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-22-2021, 07:06 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Normally there are only two springs that need replacing in the vintage Hi Std guns:

1). The recoil spring (initially and every 10 to 15 thousand rounds thereafter);

2). The slide hold open latch tiny spring that gets kinked by ham fisted re-assembly (buy a few extra because it is easy to ruin them).

The effort to change out the rest of the springs returns little rewards. Those not familiar with the Hi Std guns risks frustration trying to get the gun back together during this process (if it ain't broke then don't fix it).

Anyway, that is my opinion and yours may vary.

LDBennett
Old 04-22-2021, 10:13 AM
Rmeintel
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I really appreciate all of the help guys
Old 04-23-2021, 07:57 AM
Edcnh

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I once read a post advising High Standard owners to have spare slide lock springs and spare recoil spring plug when changing the recoil spring. That was excellent advise as my recoil spring plug went flying and I had a spare to replace it. Eventually I found the other plug. I agree with LDBennett the only two springs that really need to be changed are the recoil spring and slide lock spring. I personally have never changed any other springs.

Last edited by Edcnh; 04-23-2021 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Add mor information
Old 04-23-2021, 02:16 PM
mr alexander

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
New to me Supermatic Model 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmeintel View Post
Alright guys I need some help. I brought home a Suoermatic Model 107 and when disassembling the barrel from frame the barrel takedown plunger fell out. As it turns out it didn’t fall out it broke.
Rmeintel,

To safely remove a barrel from the frame, please see this: https://histandard.info/Jim_Barta/hsinstr.pdf.

Once there, scroll down to the fourth page. Read all of paragraph 4., which is in the far left, vertical column.

If a barrel takedown plunger is struck with a mallet for example, you do run the risk of breaking this part.

For more great information, click on this: https://histandard.info/Jim_Barta/.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:04 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
And after all of that....a superb target pistol, imo. I shot NRA Bullseye in the 1980's, had several pistols during that time, some concurrently. My HS like yours 'had more 10s in it' than my S&W Mdl 41 5.5"(?) but when I winged one out with the HS it was farther out than from the 41, that is, my composite scores were a smidge better with the 41, so I kept it. I soon wished I had kept the HS and knuckled down to run it right, it felt better in hand.
Old 04-23-2021, 03:16 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The Big Button takedown models are designed so that shooting the gun tightens the grip the takedown button has on the barrel stud. That makes barrel removal tough. DO NOT use a mallet or hammer. Your best friend is the edge of a table. Lay the barrel on the table with the takedown button against the edge fo the table top. Lean into the gun while holding the grip normally and the takedown button will break loose. Once loose you can then grip the barrel and push the button with the thumb of the same hand. It is a mighty spring behind that button!

Banging on the takedown button with a hammer or mallet may break the button. It is really thin on the sides since it has to have a hole in it to grab the barrel stud.

Unless I am mistaken, it looks to me that the gun has seen a lot of use. That is all the more reason to not abuse it with High Velocity ammo. Just limit its ammo to Standard Velocity and keep a good OEM 5.5 pound recoil spring in it at all times. And do use Interarms Texas for parts and service. They are the most knowledgeable on Hi Std semi-auto pistol with at well over 30 years behind them for the gunsmiths and a couple decades more than that for Alan Aronstein.

LDBennett
Old 04-23-2021, 11:32 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
nice find , congrats , that is going to be one of your favorites real soon