Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-19-2021, 07:28 AM
LeeroyWilly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Best bolt action 22lr in the 500 dollar range

Hello everyone! New here and this will be my first post. I’m currently waiting on a dead air mask and realized I have nothing in 22lr that is treaded. In order to get the most out of the suppressor I’d like to go with a bolt action. I have a couple 10/22s that I will eventually replace the barrels with aftermarket treaded barrels, however a bolt action is first on my list.

I have it narrowed down to a CZ 457, Tikka T1X MTR, and a Ruger American Rimfire Target model. I really like the looks of the Ruger with the stainless bull barrel and the laminate stock, also the ability to use 10/22 mags, but after watching just about every video I could find on YouTube, the accuracy doesn’t seem all that great to me. I like the walnut stocks but the CZ model I liked best would have to have the barrel threaded which would add to the cost. The Tilka looks a bit bland to me with the all black and plastic stock, but seems to shoot good. I will be using this rifle mainly for squirrel hunting and really want something I can consistently hit nickel sized targets at 50 yards with bulk ammo. I realize that may be an unrealistic expectation but I feel like at that price point for a 22lr it should be.

So what do you guys think between the listed options? I realize there’s others to be thrown on the list and I am open to hear your suggestions however I am leaning more towards these three. Thanks and God bless!
Old 01-19-2021, 07:41 AM
Toomany22s
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Welcome to RFC
Nickle size groups at 50 yards with bulk ammo , probably not going to happen. But squirrel head , no problem.

The CZ would be my first choice.

My second choice would be a Savage Mark ll FV SR, and then add a boyds stock.

Something like this CZ 455
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E2D1B6FF-01B2-4A06-9D0A-015E3E0CDA12.jpg (511.0 KB, 36 views)
Old 01-19-2021, 09:05 AM
LeeroyWilly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That’s a good looking rifle there Sir! So as far as the CZ goes. Should I go with the 457 Varmint and have the barrel threaded or just forget about a walnut stock and go with the pro varmint suppressor ready 16.5 inch? There’s also a scout model with a light threaded barrel as well. To many choices lol.
Old 01-19-2021, 09:31 AM
LeeroyWilly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just came across the 457 Varmint AT ONE model with the option of a 16.5 or a 24 inch barrel. Though 24 seems a bit long with a suppressor.
Old 01-19-2021, 11:09 AM
cnelson181
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
90% (9)
LeeroyWilly,

If it were me............. I'd spring for the Tikka 1X. It might look bland, but will outshoot the CZ everyday including Sunday. By how much? Just slightly, but it will outshoot it, consistently.

Don't get me wrong, I love my CZ's. I have a arm load of them and love each one. But they won't consistently outshoot the Tikka.

If you don't like the Plastic of the Tikka, go with the CZ and be rest assured it will still shoot fantabulously!

Craig...
Old 01-19-2021, 11:12 AM
MarkS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Tikka TiX
Old 01-19-2021, 11:57 AM
LeeroyWilly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies! I see the tikka has a 16 and a 20 inch barrel option. Is their any benefit of one over the other?
Old 01-19-2021, 03:26 PM
cnelson181
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
90% (9)
LW,

If you're going to run a suppressor, then No, there is no difference.

I'd pick both of them up and see which one feels better at the shoulder for you.

For me: I like my 22 lr's to be 18-20", but I'm 6'5"

Craig...
Old 01-19-2021, 03:56 PM
LeeroyWilly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ten four. Thanks for the info. I’m still in a toss up between the 457 and t1x. Both seem to be on par with each other accuracy wise from the comparison videos I see on YouTube with some leaning 457 and others leaning t1x. What about ease of upgrading later down the road? Mainly barrels. Or would one of these shoot bulk ammo better than the other? I have quite a bit of Remington thunderbolt laying around
Old 01-19-2021, 05:57 PM
660grizzlyguy

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
T1x

Have CZ's both factory and aftermarket barrels. Have T1x in AT one stock and it's got a better trigger and is more accurate. Several in our club have them in KRG Bravo stocks and they are all accurate. As far as expecting to get "good" accuracy from bulk ammo, remember that bulk ammo is built to a price point (cheap) I chased bulk/bargain ammo for years, and finally realized it is just tin can/plinking ammo. If you want better results, buy some of the lower grade target ammo and the results will be immediate and gratifying. It is just made with more attention to details than the bulk that must be made on an assembly line turned up to "max" speed.
Old 01-19-2021, 06:52 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Go with the scout, cheaper, shorter, lighter, threaded, and accurate. You’re hunting squirrel not hummingbird.

Ps , plastic stocks are never satisfying!

Last edited by Toomany22s; 01-19-2021 at 06:54 PM.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:20 PM
Appalachian2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a few CZís. Iíve been wanting a T1X for a while. Iíve seen mixed reviews on accuracy (just like CZís). So on New Years Day I saw Budís had a 20Ē T1x in stock so I drove over there and left with a 457 American. I donít know what happened. Iíll soon have a T1X too. I just found out my club will be hosting NRL22. I want to try a T1X in base class.
Old 01-20-2021, 07:36 AM
LeeroyWilly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I appreciate everyone’s input greatly! I think I’m going to go with the CZ and see how it shoots. If I do get one that’s not a great shooter, a barrel change seems quite a bit easier than the Tikka. As long as I can hit a squirrel head at 50 yards consistently I’ll be happy.
Old 01-30-2021, 08:38 AM
LeShaghal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CZ

My $0.02

CZ457

For one and only one reason: Modularity

-----------------------------------------------------------------

-Want a better stock later....boyds, a chassis, whatever you can easily find one

(guys Take off stocks all the time and sell them pretty cheap)

-Want a better barrel later?....Lilja, Walther, .17?....again easy to source and upgrade
(The Lilja barrel @ +$400 puts the gun on par, or above, an anschutz 64)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

One paycheck at a time the gun can grow with you....

The only shortfall I see...
Personally, I think the 457 trigger leaves a bit to be desired, and aftermarket support for that module isn't flourishing.

BUT bang for your buck the 457 varmint is hard to beat!

-Buy your rifle and scope, shoot a little,
-if you like it, go buy a stock, shoot some more....
-like it some more, buy a barrel.....

By that point, the gun shoots better than you. So spend your money on ammo and gas to get you to and from the range.
Old 01-30-2021, 01:55 PM
MarkS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeroyWilly View Post
Ten four. Thanks for the info. Iím still in a toss up between the 457 and t1x. Both seem to be on par with each other accuracy wise from the comparison videos I see on YouTube with some leaning 457 and others leaning t1x. What about ease of upgrading later down the road? Mainly barrels. Or would one of these shoot bulk ammo better than the other? I have quite a bit of Remington thunderbolt laying around
My Tikka shot CCI SV great from the start. The T1X comes with a threaded barrel. a spring change in the trigger, takes it down to 1 lb. I now have my T1X in a Krg Bravo chassis.
The bulk ammo will be a crap shoot for any gun, you have to try and see if it shoots. I don't think a barrel change will help with bulk ammo. My CZ 455 Varmint was picky about what ammo it liked, it did not like the lower end ammo, but liked Wolf, SK, and Eley Club. I sold the 455, when I got my Bergara B14R.

Mark