Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-25-2021, 02:34 PM
spaceguns
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
1947 39A Deluxe

Hi Gents:

I'm more of a handgun collector but certainly appreciate a good rifle. My first .22 was a 39A back in the day and I've always had a soft spot for them. Fast forward to today and I'm at the LGS and on consignment there is a "D" prefix four digit serial numbered 39A with factory checkering. I'm assuming that the checkering denotes that it is a Deluxe model of which I've only seen a few. The gun is in super shape, bright bluing and nothing other than light patina on the wood. The one fly in the ointment is four plugs in the side of barrel by the breach where I assume a scope was mounted at some time. I'd love it if one of you experts would tell that these are factory tappings, but I'd imagine that will not be the case. How difficult is this model to find? I could probably plug the tapped holes, but its still adulterated in my opinion. The asking price on the rifle is $599. Thank you all., Tim
Old 03-25-2021, 02:41 PM
Litetrigger

TPC Rating: 
100% (10)
What do you mean? Are the holes in the barrel or the action? If they are in the action, I would buy the rifle with maybe a little dickering.
Old 03-25-2021, 03:00 PM
spaceguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The holes are in the barrel. There are four of them. They currently have plugs in them that slightly protrude. I'm sure I could clean it up some, but it's still tapped. If the gun is super rare and/or desirable I'm might consider it. What are your thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2021, 05:18 PM
kaynine

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
You may want to check out this previous thread abt Mdl 39 Mounties that were d&t on the barrel for a Weaver N mount.

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum...l+holes&page=2

Not sure if it's applicable to your particular rifle, but you should find it of interest.

HTH
Old 03-25-2021, 07:11 PM
vepr762

TPC Rating: 
91% (10)
Just to help you out....

There was/is no such thing as a "deluxe" 39A. Marlin produced the 39A one way. Their custom shop had been closed for decades.

Marlin didn't offer the barrel d&t until 1954-1956. It was standard on rifles sold through Sears, but you could send your 39A during that time period to have it done. Late 1956 Marlin started to d&t the top of the receiver for a scope mount. It was quite common to have a gunsmith d&t the barrel for a Weaver N Mount, but I don't think they were even available until the 1950's.

Your rifle came factory D&T'd for a receiver sight and tang sight.

The decision is yours.
Old 03-26-2021, 06:39 AM
stubbfarmer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Listen to verp he knows his 39A's. Does not sound to me like a bad price for a nice shooter 39A but it has no collector value.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:54 AM
WalnutBill22

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
We could tell you a lot more about it if you could possibly post some photos. A 1947 model should be a really high quality rifle, even with the modifications if they are well done. Later, you might be happy that it has been drilled and tapped for a scope, since it gives you the option of mounting one if you need to.
One thing concerns me though, and that is what you state is "bright bluing". This era of Marlin 39As, or really just about any era, should not have "bright bluing", but somewhat well-done, but low luster bluing. So, I'm wondering if it's been reblued at some point.
The price seems reasonable for a rifle with factory bluing and stock finish, but maybe a bit high for one that's been completely redone. Again, photos will help a great deal.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:09 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
$600? Buy it. Thats 1/2 the market price right now.
Old 03-26-2021, 08:31 AM
spaceguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thank you all for thoughts and expertise. I'll go back over the weekend and have another look at it. If I can take some photos I'll do that as well. Many thanks again for your responses..
Old 03-26-2021, 10:27 AM
carbineone

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I am actually having my 1955 Sears Mountie reblued right now..It of course has the drilled and tapped scope mount holes in the barrel.

But it also had the receiver drilled and tapped for a skinner sight..Morons could not even drill those two screws in line with eachother...That was shame,..

Really did not want to do a whole reblue..But I wanted the holes in the receiver filled..Even with the omplete reblue..I will only have around 400.00 in it.. He says he will match the blue very close..And retain the matte finish on top the receiver.. We will see..I will post a pic when he gets it done..

I think the price you are considering is a fair price in today's market..
Old 03-26-2021, 03:20 PM
307rifle

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Post photos of it at your house (after) you buy it! You will never see another one like it and will be kicking yourself for letting it get away. We all have guns that have slipped thru our fingers before!
Old 03-27-2021, 09:33 AM
NHcollector2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A good gunsmith can employ laser welding and local re-blueing to make those holes disappear. I've seen photos, it is amazing.