Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-20-2021, 03:13 AM
NoJacketRequired

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New-To-Me 39AS

Well I finally did it... Picked up this 39AS of 1990 vintage (JM stamped of course) just to see what it would be like. Managed to find a good deal on a new Bushnell 3.5-10X Rimfire scope so stuck that on the existing scope base. Haven't made it to the range yet.

Why a 39AS? Because I'm still holding out for a 1956 vintage Model 39A to match my 1956 vintage Model 336.

So far I don't hate the crossbolt safety but, in truth, I never intend to use it. I grew up with lever guns and can't for the life of me imagine what "problem" the crossbolt safety was trying to fix.

One of the things that amazes me is just how heavy this rifle is. The barrel profile is a straight, heavy slab, not far off the diameter of some target-weight bolt-action rifle barrels.

I have the sights for it, just not the rear leaf riser which I'm sure isn't terribly hard to source.

I like my rifles to be "shooters" rather than "wall hangers" and this one definitely fits into the "shooter" category with a few marks on the wood from having been used. Bluing is in good shape all around and the action cycles quite nicely. Since this thing just arrived a few hours ago I haven't yet had a chance to feed live ammo through it or fire it - that will come in the next few days I hope, if it stops snowing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210219_160622671.jpg (475.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 02-20-2021, 03:56 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Nice , very sweet gun! Are you going to unrebound the hammer? Heres apic of my 1956 and 1963 39s,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 8F25294E-082A-4D46-A9AF-A4D16766ECF7.jpg (475.6 KB, 19 views)
Old 02-20-2021, 06:53 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Beautiful rifle. Congratulations to you on the find. It looks like you took the front sight blade off in the picture you show. Was it in the way of the scope ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-20-2021, 07:20 AM
NoJacketRequired

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not sure about unrebounding the hammer... will have to see. If you have done this, what are your feelings vis a vis my desire to never use the crossbolt safety? The rebounded hammer doesn't come back to the full half-cock position nor far enough back to allow the safety to be engaged. Seems like a "dumb lawyer" design to me.

Yes, front sight was removed by previous owner as he used a low power scope and found the sight distracting in the field of view of the scope.
Old 02-20-2021, 09:11 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thres a sticky or a post about the hammer somewhere on here, i didnt know that you couldnt use th3 half cock after you did that, i dont carry a rifle with a round in the chamber, even with a safety. But thats me.

As for a rebounding hammer, i just find them annoying. But, you can get used to anything, so i wouldn't bother.

I actually think it looks better w/o the front sight.

Id like to see a pic of your 336.Gave mine away, it had the safety and the rebounding hammer. But it was/ is a fine gun

Having givers remorse, but its being used for what it was intended for. A meat harvesting machine, by my nephew, the avid hunter.

Hes young, 30 ish and had no idea what it was or what it was for. Ex military , hunted with an AR and a M 14.Now he’s in Tennessee , and using the 30/30 on deer and pigs. Got him a ou shot gun , so he could get turkeys. Hed bought a rifled slug gun , thinking that was the ticket for deer,its long gone. Gave him a model 60, and that too, was an unknown, now the squirrels are in a panic! And the Brunswick Stew Pot is Brimming!

Marlin, imho, made some fine hunting guns in the day! Robust and handsome.

The 39 s are a classic. And hard to come by. Good find, good buy, hope you’ll enjoy it for years to come. I have loved mine since the day they came into my possession.
Old 02-20-2021, 03:34 PM
Shum8
Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJacketRequired View Post
Not sure about unrebounding the hammer... will have to see. If you have done this, what are your feelings vis a vis my desire to never use the crossbolt safety?
There are kits out there that replaces the safety with a “plug” with a screw slot on either end........ Easy way to remove the BB gun safety and at least make it appear normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-20-2021, 04:24 PM
STEEL SHOOTER
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
+1 dumb lawyer design

Quote:
Not sure about unrebounding the hammer... will have to see. If you have done this, what are your feelings vis a vis my desire to never use the crossbolt safety? The rebounded hammer doesn't come back to the full half-cock position nor far enough back to allow the safety to be engaged. Seems like a "dumb lawyer" design to me.

Yes, front sight was removed by previous owner as he used a low power scope and found the sight distracting in the field of view of the scope.
I un-rebounded mine with some judicious file work on the hammer strut. Allows use of a reduced power hammer spring to lighten the trigger. If I ever walk the woods with a chambered round I'll use the cross bolt safety.
Old 02-20-2021, 06:07 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I have several of each. The 39AS model doesn’t bother me. I don’t lower my trigger weight that low on field rifles anyway.

I just don’t use the safety since I have never found a need for it.
Old 02-20-2021, 07:35 PM
redz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a 1995 model and I don't have a problem with the hammer or the safety. Mine has a pretty nice trigger so I see no need to mess with it. To each their own though. By the way OP that's a good looking rifle. Congratulations !
Old 02-20-2021, 07:50 PM
NoJacketRequired

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't find the trigger weight to be too horrendous as it is... certainly well within expectation of a hunting rifle.

I'm not sure there is a kit to replace the crossbolt safety on a 39AS. That type of kit is available for the centerfire rifles but a good reference on this forum indicated that such a kit is not applicable to the 39AS. That's unfortunate if it truly is the case... I would be happy to stand corrected if a current reference is made available.
Old 02-20-2021, 10:29 PM
Shum8
Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
New-To-Me 39AS

Other than the description I have no other info on this kit - but sounds promising.

https://rangerpointstore.com/marlin-...s-bolt-safety/

https://onlineoutpost.net/products/m...by-slick-magic

Old 02-21-2021, 05:15 AM
Gizzy

TPC Rating: 
100% (150)
To the one who filed enough of the hammer away to not even have a half cock, this is not recommended and unsafe. If you need help, I have 2 stickies, one for the old style and one for the newer 39as, as ro how to work on them properly and safely. If you, the O.P., have any questions, I am more than happr to help you.
Old 02-21-2021, 05:20 AM
stubbfarmer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Those safeties only fit the centerfire rifles not the 39AS. The 39AS is a much thinner receiver than the centerfire.
Old 02-24-2021, 11:42 AM
NoJacketRequired

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So... back with a range report of sorts. Took the rifle to our indoor 20 yard range and did some learning. Discovered that it sometimes will not eject on the full down-stroke of the lever but as soon as the lever starts to come up again the empty case is ejected with authority.

The trigger is very serviceable as a trigger on a field rifle. It's CRISP, very pleasantly so.

Now for the unhappy news. The Bushnell Rimfire 3.5-10X scope that I purchased to put on this rifle was defective right out of the box. It had no "click" tactile feedback on the elevation adjustment and after twiddling the adjustment I discovered it's not functioning at all. Back to the dealer with it today I hope. Bummer.

Overall the rifle shot well and grouped well. It doesn't like cartridges with thinner brass and won't extract them reliably - these would be the Aguila-manufactured standard-velocity 40 grain loads. Higher velocity stuff all worked quite well and best groups were obtained with Remington "Bucket 'o Bullets" hollow points. This was a very informal range session so I won't comment on absolute group size, particularly while shooting with a known-defective scope.

All in all, I'm not unhappy with this rifle. It's not as good as the price point would suggest, which makes me again believe I will have to find an older 39A rather than a 39AS.

As a point of comparison, so far I think I prefer my Marlin Model 56 over the 39AS. I'm a little surprised by this assessment so I think it really comes down to me needing to find a good 39A.
Old 02-24-2021, 01:26 PM
Shum8
Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:

As a point of comparison, so far I think I prefer my Marlin Model 56 over the 39AS. I'm a little surprised by this assessment so I think it really comes down to me needing to find a good 39A.
I would agree......