Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-11-2021, 10:09 PM
ClayBelt

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Considering a Model B and have questions

Hi yíall, new guy here. I found a High Standard Model B, 6.75Ē barrel, in a pawn shop near me recently thatís in so-so shape Iím considering buying as my first gun, and wanted to ask some questions/get opinions before pulling the metaphorical trigger.

1) Itís got some pitting on the exterior of the barrel, and the blueing has almost entirely rubbed off. However, the frame is not cracked and the slide does move back easily, and it has a magazine. Gripe felt like they were probably Bakelite, and there is no insignia cast into the grips. Theyíre asking $350 (would be about $380 with tax and background check), is that a fair price assuming I didnít miss anything?

2) Are there any trouble spots/indicators of problems I should be looking for beyond the cracked frame and ease of slide movement that could affect value?

3) Is there a good video/tutorial on disassembly and cleaning of the Model B out there that yíall would recommend? That is first and foremost what this one would need if I bought it before putting any rounds through it I suspect, I donít think it has been fired in a hot minute. Itís one with the two levers and a button at the rear of the slide.

4) are there any brands of subsonic ammo I would want to stay away from, or any that members would particularly recommend?

Thanks in advance
Old 02-11-2021, 10:43 PM
HSWayne
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Model B

That pistol sounds like a type 1A takedown model. It has the weakest of the 3 types of takedown in the Model B line. I do not think the pistol in the condition described and the price listed is a good deal. There are many better High Standard pistols to choose from. A series 103 or 107 Sport King is much better shooting pistol than a Model B. In addition, parts are easier to find for the later pistols. That said, if you prefer the older style guns, then you should look for a better one. The type 2 takedown pistols are better than the earlier ones, IMO.
Old 02-12-2021, 03:41 AM
ClayBelt

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I gotcha. If I was interested in it also bracuse old, what would it probably be worth based on my description?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2021, 07:21 AM
HSWayne

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Value

Pricing is not easy without seeing a gun, but I would not pay more than $200 for one in the description stated if I really wanted it.
Old 02-12-2021, 09:45 AM
FuzzyVision

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The right gun for one person may not be an appropriate gun for someone else. I don't know enough about you to answer the question you're asking.

Why do you want to buy a gun? Why are you interested in this particular gun? Is it for collecting, shooting for fun, defense, target/competition, etc? This info might help the group make a recommendation as to whether this particular High Standard is a good fit for you.
Old 02-12-2021, 11:12 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I got my Model B simply because I consider it an important part of High Standard history. I like my target grade guns, but the Model B represents the early days of the company's journey into bigger and better things. If you don't count the single shots made from leftover Hartford Arms parts, the Model B was the first High Standard (although it too was a re-issue of the Hartford Arms semi-automatic).
I had to make a new firing pin and spring guide/takedown button for mine to get it working. I shoot it every now and then to get that "1936" experience, and it shoots better than I think it should.
For what it's worth, if that Model B has a round takedown button on the rear of the slide, it's considered a Type Ia version, made up till early 1938. If it has a square button on the slide rear, it's a Type Ib, and was made for only about 18 months until the Type II versions appeared.
But, yes, if you like the idea of a pre-war piece of High Standard history, then by all means go for it. Although from what you're describing, it seems like the price is a bit elevated (like just about everything else right now).
Old 02-12-2021, 12:52 PM
coltlog

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If your intention is to actually shoot your "first gun," then there are certainly better choices in the $350 price range. You might consider one of the Ruger Mark II models, a Browning Buckmark or a High Standard Sport King.

Last edited by coltlog; 02-13-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 02-13-2021, 07:22 AM
syfr

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
The price may well be "elevated" because most everything in a pawn shop is subject to negotiation :-)
Old 02-18-2021, 02:39 PM
ClayBelt

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I would say Iím looking purely from a mix of collecting and shooting for fun. Iíve always had an appreciation for older machines, whether they were the prewar Lionel trains I repaired about 5-10 years ago, the underappreciated 60ís/70ís/80ís cars Iíve owned more recently, or the 70ís record player I picked up and fixed a couple years ago. I figured starting with something older but quality would be fitting given that, and from what Iíve read the High Standard pistols would match that description. I just want to make sure I donít get ripped off in the process of finding one.

I swung by the pawn shop today for pictures, my initial assessment on the blueing was wrong. Some idiot appears to have scotch brited the finish, probably thinking it was supposed to look nickel plated

Old 02-18-2021, 02:42 PM
ClayBelt

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontarian50 View Post
For what it's worth, if that Model B has a round takedown button on the rear of the slide, it's considered a Type Ia version, made up till early 1938. If it has a square button on the slide rear, it's a Type Ib, and was made for only about 18 months until the Type II versions appeared.
I did not know about the button difference, thatís interesting. Any chance someone has pictures of the shape (since id presume itís not square square?)
Old 02-18-2021, 03:00 PM
US Marines NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Ouch Clay...you can do a lot better for the money friend. Agree with some of the others about buying a newer make/model but if your heart is set on a Model B keep your eye on Gun broker. They come up frequently.

Here's one that sold a month ago in much better shape with a similar price including shipping.
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/887908633

Welcome to Rimfire Central!

Frank
Old 02-18-2021, 03:36 PM
ClayBelt

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I’m not necessarily stuck on a Model B, this just happens to be the closest to my vibe I’ve seen locally. Buying older firearms online seems like it’s a lot of hassle, especially given that people don’t always describe things well online.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:36 PM
coltlog

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayBelt View Post
I did not know about the button difference, that’s interesting. Any chance someone has pictures of the shape (since id presume it’s not square square?)
You do not need a photo to tell the difference between types IA and IB takedown buttons. If it is MOSTLY ROUND, it is a Type IA. Type IB is MOSTLY SQUARE.

Yours is not the Type II because the takedown button was moved to the top of the slide (like the Colt Woodsman), and the takedown lever was moved to the right side of the frame.

If you were to buy this weapon and then attempt to resell it, I think you would need to find a blind shooter.
Old 02-18-2021, 03:43 PM
ClayBelt

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Wouldn’t intend to resell, I just want to make sure I won’t get ripped off. I guess the 1a/1b was a bit of a stupid question though.

Considering that since it’s a pawn shop, and the price could be negotiated a bit, is there a number it would be worth trying to get it at or would I just be straight up crazy to even bother with this one?
Old 02-18-2021, 07:59 PM
coltlog

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayBelt View Post
Wouldnít intend to resell, I just want to make sure I wonít get ripped off. I guess the 1a/1b was a bit of a stupid question though.

Considering that since itís a pawn shop, and the price could be negotiated a bit, is there a number it would be worth trying to get it at or would I just be straight up crazy to even bother with this one?
In accordance with the grading system of the the "Standard Catalog of Firearms, the condition of this firearm at best would be "fair,' and at worst, 'poor.'

To qualify for "fair," the firearm's metal finish must retain at least 30% of the original finish and must be safe to fire. For "poor," the firearm is "likely to retain little metal or wood finish. Pitting and rust will be seen in firearms of this category."

I don't see anything to justify more than poor condition, soóin accordance

with the values in the 2014 editionóthe value would be $90. For fair

condition, the price would soar to $125.

I know you don't want to get 'ripped off,' so I double-spaced the previous paragraph to help you read between the lines.