Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-03-2021, 03:27 PM
kestrell
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Barrel length effect on performance of 22s

Planning to buy a 22 for squirrel, target, plinking and a general farm rifle. I am looking at the CZ American (with a 24.5" barrel) and the CZ royal (with a 20.5" barrel). I like the American better ....but .... I think a 24.5" barrel is a bit much for a
22. Any thoughts, experience or data on this would be greatly appreciated. THANKS.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:34 PM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Barrel length, some thoughts.

Data varies, but maximum velocity happens at the shorter lengths. If using iron sights, the longer the barrel the longer your sight radius and the greater potential for accuracy. The CZ rifles have a bit tighter bore than other rifles and the no powder cartridges may not have enough power to get the bullet down the barrel and exit. And a longer barrel will be a tad quieter. I have CZ rifles with a collection of barrel lengths, 16", 24" & 28". The Ultra Lux with the 28" barrel is noticeably quieter with the low velocity cartridges. They all shoot well.
Old 02-03-2021, 03:35 PM
PABear

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you are going to use iron sights, peep or open, then the longe barrel is a better fit as it has increased sight radius...more accurate aiming.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-03-2021, 03:38 PM
kestrell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Does the length have any effect on performance of the bullet. This rifle will have a scope on it. THANKS>
Old 02-03-2021, 03:57 PM
glennasher
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kestrell View Post
Does the length have any effect on performance of the bullet. This rifle will have a scope on it. THANKS>
No real difference will be noted between a long barrel or a short one, assuming you're using a scope. I have eleven .22 LR rifles, and I use 3-9 scopes on all of them, and they all shoot about the same, five of those rifles have 16.25" barrels on them, they shoot no better or worse than the rifles with longer tubes.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:07 PM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Barrel length effects velocity

Barrel length effects velocity. If you feel the need for the most speed, get a 16" - 18" barrel. If you will shoot standard velocity and want it as quiet as possible, get the longest barrel you can.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:45 PM
doc thornton
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Is it possible for a .22 short or .22 CB to become lodged in a long barrel
of say, a CZ training rifle, due to having less propellant gas pressure?

I recently discovered a large stash of .22 short and Cbee (?) ammo and I
was wanting to shoot some of it out of my 457 training rifle to see how it
would sound and perform.

No doubt some other dope has asked this question previously.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:20 PM
David Valdina

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Yup

They do get stuck. Have a rod with you and check to see that each has left the barrel.

As quiet as quiet can be.
Old 02-03-2021, 05:54 PM
rockster

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A misconception is that barrel length directly correlates to accuracy, which is not as black-and-white as you'd think. As others have said, iron sights on a longer barrel increase the sight radius, and therefore assist with accuracy. However, you can have shorter barrel lengths that are absolute tack-drivers while sacrificing some velocity, keeping in mind that point of aim and point of impact have been adjusted correctly for barrel oscillation (i.e., sighting in your rifle).

If you're looking for a quieter, maximum-velocity iron-sight .22, do as the others have said and get the longer barrel. If you're like me and use glass only with a bipod and bag, pick whatever you want based on your preference and what the job you're using it for.

For reference, I usually shoot between 100 and 300 yards with a 20.5" heavy barrel 455, mostly for practicing wind holds and whatnot.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
Old 02-03-2021, 06:02 PM
pans858
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (13)
David's correct... especially Colibri's will stick- frequently in a long barrel such as on a CZ Ultra Lux (don't shoot them in one).
Old 02-03-2021, 06:55 PM
jpickar

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Each barrel is different. Velocities may be very close in the 24.5 and the 20.5" barrel. I have found that GENERALLY speaking shorter barrels will give faster velocities to a point. But not always true. My Remington 40X with a 28"barrel will give faster velocities than my Chipmunk or Ruger 10 22.
Old 02-03-2021, 07:03 PM
Paulejr
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
CZ barrell length

I have a 455 Lux and i can truthfully say , using Lapua X-act ammo . it shoots 9 for 10 x's at 50 feet . The barrell is 27.25 inches long , it shoots a well as my Savage BTVS at 20 inches. both shoot 9 for 10 x's on the NRA 50 small bore target using the Lapua ammo . Now using other ammo not nearly as good , say 3 or 4 out of 10. My belief is , its the water , not the well...
Old 02-03-2021, 07:08 PM
BirdieBirdie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Me kestrell - to answer your question - no it will not. And the 457 American will be great for your intended purposes. Light enough to carry around, balance is good, can attach a sling, a quiet report with standard velocity ammo, adjustable trigger, and a classic look. Put a 3 x 9 on it and you will have a really nice reliable rifle for out and about on the farm. Guarantee you will be pleased.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:13 AM
kestrell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
WOW !!! Really appreciate all the response. Lot of good food for thought.
Old 02-04-2021, 10:52 AM
Kilerham

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My “build” squirrel/target/bench gun is sporting a 28” sporter GM barrel
It shoots as good as the ammo you feed it.
Tiny groups with eley target and under MOA groups at 50yds with regular agulia Sv and CCI Sv

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk