Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-28-2020, 10:17 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
I've strongly considered that, but have concerns that just a little too much drill bit bite might leave it off center or trash it otherwise. If I had to cut or file it off, I might end up with a low and thicker post, which might still work. And I think there is plenty of rear sight adjustment to deal with it.
Well that didn't go as planned. I tried drilling it, and got through the first upsize without issue. On the second drill bit, I got a little too much bite as it penetrated and bent the post all the way to the outside ring. And that was with light pressure (if any) and a sharp bit.

Took some doing to get it right, and it still looks a little out of whack. I hope it all still centers correctly enough to work right. I think it's ok, just a bit out of whack on the post. Messing with it too much might trash it.

But if not, the Lee Shaver inserts are already ordered. Santa forgot them, so that plan was squashed.
Old 12-29-2020, 09:30 AM
tomon
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
Thumbs up The proper sized 100 yd. Target...

Is a TQ-4P paper target. I shoot my 1945 commercial one with the original Redfield set. My 1966 US marked one currently carries a 36power Sightron SII mounted on an EGW cantilever mount. If I do my part, it has been shooting 250s at the 50ft weekly indoor shoot.
Old 01-01-2021, 10:49 AM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomon View Post
Is a TQ-4P paper target. I shoot my 1945 commercial one with the original Redfield set. My 1966 US marked one currently carries a 36power Sightron SII mounted on an EGW cantilever mount. If I do my part, it has been shooting 250s at the 50ft weekly indoor shoot.
But for which front insert?

The one I got with the rifle is small. Approx 2mm opening, and then the black surround shrouds it out to 7mm. At 25 yards, I couldn't even see an entire 2" target with the insert.

Even with the drilled hole, it might not open it up much. I got it to a little bit over 3mm, but after the oops incident decided not to try farther. The trick is clamping it with enough room left over to drill.

It still isn't quite perfect, but I think I'll give it a go until the new inserts get in. It can't get much worse than it was, and if I have to I can take the insert out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2021, 08:53 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well a couple of updates. First, the slightly mangled original insert. I couldn't get a good shot straight on, but overall it's not nearly as bad as it looks. The hole is slightly off center, and the entire disc also slightly off. You can see how the post ripped sort of, and I was scared too much tweaking would bust it off.

I think it's all centered enough to give it a go until the others get here.

I hadn't noticed the burr just above the post when taking the photos, but now on a large screen there it is. I think that is probably the point where the bit grabbed as it went through.

The whacked angle of the post seemed like it would easy to ignore when looking through the rear sight.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rem drilled and bent insert.jpg (14.4 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Rem drilled and bent insert 1.jpg (16.7 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Signmaster; 07-31-2021 at 11:26 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 08:59 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Then, a find I noticed some time back, but just finally took the time to figure out. It looks like at some point the rifle I have wore an Olympic rear sight, as evidenced by the cutout on the stock. You can see where the finish varies, and it's not a plant quality cut. For those reasons I suspect a do it yourself job, or a gunsmith that was better with metal than he was with wood.

I see no other reason why the stock would be cut, but if there were other sight types that needed that cutout I'd be interested in hearing about the possibilities that anyone knows of.

I hope to have time to get it to the range tomorrow. I was planning on going today, but ended up pressed for time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rem stock cut.jpg (22.3 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by Signmaster; 07-31-2021 at 11:28 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:28 PM
72coupe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have put an Olympic on mine and no stock modification was required.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:47 PM
tickridger

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just a suggestion for enlarging holes is thin metal inserts. Do not use a drill bit but instead use a Dremel tool with a cone shaped carbide bit. This will allow you to grind the hole to the desired size without snagging the edge of the thin metal and it is easy to do.

John
Old 01-02-2021, 10:09 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72coupe View Post
I have put an Olympic on mine and no stock modification was required.
Interesting. I Googled some photos and the ones with the cut out stocks all seemed to have Olympic sights on them. I wonder if there were just differences in mounts that made the cuts to the stock a necessary evil?
Old 01-02-2021, 10:11 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickridger View Post
Just a suggestion for enlarging holes is thin metal inserts. Do not use a drill bit but instead use a Dremel tool with a cone shaped carbide bit. This will allow you to grind the hole to the desired size without snagging the edge of the thin metal and it is easy to do.

John
I wish I would have thought of that before the fact. I have more inserts on the way, so no big loss, but having an excuse for a new tool would have made for a win either way.
Old 01-03-2021, 07:11 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got it out to shoot today, and the globe drill job did ok. At least I can see a target center of a few inches now. Needed a bigger hole to fit my vision.

I did have a couple rounds that jammed. It seems the magazine play is letting them gouge the round going in now and then. I thought I had it sorted out, but I think I need to play with the magazine and release/spring. Both rounds chambered, but didn't fire, even with a second strike. I think the metal kept them from seating properly all the way, but didn't want to try to fire them again due to projectile damage and not wanting to cram it in the chamber.

As it is, the magazine can be pushed up too far and cause feed problems. If it's down at the lower part of that play, it's usually ok. It also seems to have some play side to side when it's up farther, so that just makes the problem worse.

But I knew it might be a project. And at the rate I'm going, I'll need the time to adapt back to the peep sights.
Old 01-04-2021, 06:13 AM
schutzen-jager

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
sight inletting not factory , might be for an English Parker Hale target sight - are you using an original magazine ? - if so it could be a weak or out of adjustment latch - if original the 1949 latch should be stock mounted -
Old 01-04-2021, 08:28 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
sight inletting not factory , might be for an English Parker Hale target sight - are you using an original magazine ? - if so it could be a weak or out of adjustment latch - if original the 1949 latch should be stock mounted -
Hard to say on the stock mods. I just figure it wore some other type of sight at some point, and found a photo with an Olympic with a different mount that required that cut out.

The magazine is original. The latch is stock mounted, and was a bit loose when I got the rifle. It might have been intentional to make up for a bent latch or something.

I've seen the posts regarding old style vs new and some of the issues... guess I'll have to get digging and figure it out.
Old 01-05-2021, 06:36 AM
schutzen-jager

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
tighten the latch screw + gently bend latch so that engaging ears are moved downward toward floor plate -
Old 01-06-2021, 08:42 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by schutzen-jager View Post
tighten the latch screw + gently bend latch so that engaging ears are moved downward toward floor plate -
I tightened it up during the cleaning process. I'm going to give it a good looking over and figure out where the slop is. I might buy another latch rather than risk breaking or messing up the only one I have. I've heard they are prone to cracking if you play with them too much, and I don't have a properly set up example to work from, so it might take some playing with. I'm going to check out everything I can, as it seems the magazine itself is in good shape. I guess I'll know for sure when I get more of them.

Until I get it sorted out, I might just pick up a single shot adapter for it. I just found one on Ebay, and I'm fairly sure they are made by a member here at RFC.

Strange thing with the feeding problem is that if I use snap caps, they cycle through fine every time. It seems the projectile is catching an edge just enough to cause issues. On top of that, if the chambering round scrapes, it pushes on the round below in a way that it slightly scraped a couple of those.
Old 01-07-2021, 05:06 AM
schutzen-jager

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
buy a used or nos factory original , the Numrich + other repros are not tempered correctly + fail to hold temper with use - 60 + plus years owning , collecting , repairing , + rebuilding + i never had a new style latch crack - old style latches that attach to receiver are known for cracking by attaching screws -