513T from '49 - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:51 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post
Some before photos attached.

Quote:
I can't really even get in any solid 25 yard stuff until I get some front globe inserts. The one with the rifle has a really small aperature (2mm) and a large surround (7mm total). Due to that, it blocks most targets at 25 yards fairly bad, and keeps me from getting the proper sight picture. I almost think I would shoot it better without an insert at this point.
If you need Redfield 60-series inserts (and that's what I think I see), these will work, as will these from Shaver.

Last edited by edlmann; 11-30-2020 at 08:52 AM.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:21 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I still think the rifle has more potential than my vision does, but I'm going to find out.
I think you've done rather well with it all things considered. Hope the bore doesn't have any unpleasant surprises within.
Old 12-01-2020, 07:18 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post

If you need Redfield 60-series inserts (and that's what I think I see), these will work, as will these from Shaver.
I think I'm going to grab the set from Lee Shaver. But much appreciated for finding another option.

The insert on the rifle is just.... wrong. I'm not sure what targets or distances he shot with it, but the sight picture is very limited. I tried some glow dot centers on a target this weekend, and even that was tough with the tiny front aperature. I know my eyes aren't what they used to be, but I didn't think it was going to be this bad. I did a little better than the initial rounds with the larger bull I posted earlier, but even a 1" bull with almost no space around it was hard to center when focused on the front sight globe. At only 25 yards I think I'm still leaving a lot of accuracy on the table right now.

I think the rifle is far more capable of good groups than my eyes and the sight combo are at this point. I'm hoping the right insert will remove some of that.

As an experiment, I sent 10 rounds with no front sight insert. My field of view was about 11-12 inches, so that left a lot of room around the A23 bull. But considering that the lesser scoring group with no insert was shot offhand (and my offhand game is not strong), I think it shows that the small insert was still hurting me some.

At least I hope so. I'd really like to get this dialed in enough to test true accuracy better. I've only put about 60-70 rounds through it in two trips, so beyond the sights I've got at least a few boxes of ammo to get used to the trigger and such.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rem target 2.jpg (24.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg Rem target 3.jpg (18.9 KB, 16 views)

Last edited by Signmaster; 07-31-2021 at 11:20 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2020, 08:59 PM
72coupe
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Try a post insert and use a 6 oclock hold. At least you can shoot it till you get the correct aperture.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:27 AM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd go for a post or just about any other insert if I had one. The problem is, for now, I have only that one.

My daughter wanted low dollar Christmas ideas, so I sent her a link to the Lee Shaver inserts. I hate to wait, but I'd rather she spend money on something I'll use. I'm more familiar with shooting posts from my military days, but I'll experiment and see which ones I like most.

I really don't understand the design of the insert in the rifle now. The outer blocking ring is wider than the actual aperture in the center.
Old 12-02-2020, 07:56 AM
72coupe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just drill it out.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:37 AM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've strongly considered that, but have concerns that just a little too much drill bit bite might leave it off center or trash it otherwise. If I had to cut or file it off, I might end up with a low and thicker post, which might still work. And I think there is plenty of rear sight adjustment to deal with it.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:18 AM
John Wilson
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
513t

Sure is nice to have an assortment of inserts. I have a Merit adjustable rear, really made a difference for me. My rubber eyepiece was a little distorted from being stored in a case, I sent my Merit back to the factory, they cleaned, replaced rubber eyepiece, shipped to me, for $21. What a deal.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:10 AM
72coupe

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I've strongly considered that, but have concerns that just a little too much drill bit bite might leave it off center or trash it otherwise. If I had to cut or file it off, I might end up with a low and thicker post, which might still work. And I think there is plenty of rear sight adjustment to deal with it.
It doesn't really matter if it is exactly centered, you have adjustments on the rear sight. The only real worry about drilling it out is keeping it cool so the drill bit doesn't melt it.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:13 PM
Rodmaker

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Apertures n moore has Redfield apertures in various sizes. Not overly expensive so you can order a small assortment. Recently picked up a couple more for my CZ.

As an aside, back when i used to shoot black powder cartridge silhouette , i shot my best with the largest front insert from a Lee Shaver set and adjusted my rear as small as the light would allow. For reference, the animals were roughly 3 MOA by 5 MOA in size.
Old 12-02-2020, 09:30 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 72coupe View Post
It doesn't really matter if it is exactly centered, you have adjustments on the rear sight. The only real worry about drilling it out is keeping it cool so the drill bit doesn't melt it.
Good point. I may try to drill it out. I just hate risking trashing the only one I have, but new inserts could be had quickly anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodmaker View Post
Apertures n moore has Redfield apertures in various sizes. Not overly expensive so you can order a small assortment. Recently picked up a couple more for my CZ.

As an aside, back when i used to shoot black powder cartridge silhouette , i shot my best with the largest front insert from a Lee Shaver set and adjusted my rear as small as the light would allow. For reference, the animals were roughly 3 MOA by 5 MOA in size.
If I keep this thing without optics, I may get the adjustable rear down the road. As for the fronts, I think I have an idea of what I might prefer, but that could all change once I get them in hand.
Old 12-06-2020, 08:27 AM
Mikey8
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
513T date

How do I find out the date for my Remington 513T?
Old 12-06-2020, 08:51 AM
schutzen-jager

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
sticky at top of this forum - click on 37 /40x - click on date of manufacture -
Old 12-08-2020, 08:13 AM
Doper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Good point. I may try to drill it out. I just hate risking trashing the only one I have, but new inserts could be had quickly anyway.
You can find rear sight plates at varying aperture diameters on line. Try Google, use “Redfield #75 rear aperture”.

Some, as with the link below will drill them for you.

http://www.aperturesnmore.com/produc...&categoryId=12

You may want to wait for the Shaver inserts as your existing rear aperture is probably .05” and adequate. When I shoot at 100 yds, the entire black center of the target is inside the circular front insert. I center by evening the lighter gap between the black of the target and the edge of the insert. If I hold and relax, a clarity of focus occurs when it all lines up and I light it up then. Doping at 100 yards doing this is not easy.

Last edited by Doper; 12-08-2020 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-08-2020, 07:44 PM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doper View Post
You can find rear sight plates at varying aperture diameters on line. Try Google, use “Redfield #75 rear aperture”.

Some, as with the link below will drill them for you.

http://www.aperturesnmore.com/produc...&categoryId=12

You may want to wait for the Shaver inserts as your existing rear aperture is probably .05” and adequate. When I shoot at 100 yds, the entire black center of the target is inside the circular front insert. I center by evening the lighter gap between the black of the target and the edge of the insert. If I hold and relax, a clarity of focus occurs when it all lines up and I light it up then. Doping at 100 yards doing this is not easy.
For now, I'm probably going to mess with the fronts and figure out which I prefer, and which are versatile enough for multiple target sizes. Being I'm limited to closer distances for now, at least having inserts that allow decent sized targets and centering on both inside and outside would be nice.