High stress jobs vs less stress and lower pay. - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-10-2020, 04:21 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
My financial advisor tells me Iíll need 10k a month in retirement if I continue to live where I live and stay with my current lifestyle.
Yikes. I'm planning for $5K/month, but I'll be moving out of CA and cutting back on non-essentials. My money man told me I'd better find $2M somewhere if I wanted to stay here.
Old 07-10-2020, 04:40 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post
Yikes. I'm planning for $5K/month, but I'll be moving out of CA and cutting back on non-essentials. My money man told me I'd better find $2M somewhere if I wanted to stay here.
I was told 3 million. And the 10k is after taxes. But I donít want to cut out the non essentials. Heck man, work hard party harder.
......Tom Petty
Old 07-10-2020, 05:21 PM
Steeveedee
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
dlong, I guess my job wasn't so high-paying after all. I managed to scrape out a retirement, though. My family is all in California except one sister, so I'm probably going to stay put.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2020, 05:29 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lots of big rocks over yonder in Simi Valley.

Old 07-10-2020, 05:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
NYC metro, California, Boston, etc, even south Florida is very expensive. Itís what weíre used to. Ainít shopping in Walmart and eating at Red Lobster. Sorry.
......Tom Petty
Old 07-10-2020, 08:06 PM
The War Wagon
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Red face

I have the high stress, AND the low pay. Might as well go for the HIGH pay!
Old 07-11-2020, 01:39 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I was told 3 million. And the 10k is after taxes. But I donít want to cut out the non essentials. Heck man, work hard party harder.
I'm working on my 2nd million now. Got tired of working on my 1st one.
Old 07-11-2020, 08:22 AM
Deathrowdave

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Stress

I worked 35 years as Stationary Engineer and Energy Controller for a large power company . Super fast paced , stressful job . At the 34 year mark , I had to have a neck fusion surgery , 4 now fused together . The company never paid 1 cent of my accumulated sick pay and terminated me 39 days before my retirement age . Stress at the max , this move cost me 1/3 of my retirement benefits . I applied for SSDI , and was approved . I miss my working buddies , but I would advise anyone who can hit the road to retirement and never look back !
Old 07-11-2020, 09:31 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathrowdave View Post
I worked 35 years as Stationary Engineer and Energy Controller for a large power company . Super fast paced , stressful job . At the 34 year mark , I had to have a neck fusion surgery , 4 now fused together . The company never paid 1 cent of my accumulated sick pay and terminated me 39 days before my retirement age . Stress at the max , this move cost me 1/3 of my retirement benefits . I applied for SSDI , and was approved . I miss my working buddies , but I would advise anyone who can hit the road to retirement and never look back !
Sounds like you got the shaft on the sick pay. Doesnít sound legal. Getting fired 39 days before retirement sounds great. You go out with 6 months unemployment. According to my SS statement, if I go out now on full disability, my monthly check would only be about $150 less than my FRA check which is the max you can get. Getting approved for full disability is very difficult.
......Tom Petty
Old 07-11-2020, 10:12 AM
profsrgary

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Sounds like you got the shaft on the sick pay. Doesnít sound legal. Getting fired 39 days before retirement sounds great. You go out with 6 months unemployment. According to my SS statement, if I go out now on full disability, my monthly check would only be about $150 less than my FRA check which is the max you can get. Getting approved for full disability is very difficult.
Laws on sick pay vary by state and if there is any type of written agreement. In many cases if a person is off a day to four you will draw on sick pay. Once it goes to a full week you go on short term disability until the specified time is up and then long term disability. When terminated "sick" pay is not usually payed unless specified by a written agreement which is why most unions do not specify it as sick pay but absence pay which can be taken for illness or a day hunting. Vacation pay that is accumulated must be paid in most cases.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:14 PM
Steeveedee
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post
Lots of big rocks over yonder in Simi Valley.

Niiice! That's (I think) the old Santa Susanna Pass Road. Way before my time. I live almost exactly in the middle, so a boulder that size getting me is going to be a rare event.
Old 07-11-2020, 02:16 PM
RJF22553
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Army retirement, plus SS for me and my wife now. Monthly income is more than expenses most months.

No regrets living this good life after so many deployments, away from family and away from two dogs who meant so much to me when their time came. Parents have a tough row to hoe...

Don't touch our 401Ks except for RMDs. We're okay, but fully understand the tension for those not yet ready for full retirement. I had a few tough years, but got through that.

There can be some "golden years" with the right career...
Old 07-12-2020, 03:04 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeveedee View Post
Niiice! That's (I think) the old Santa Susanna Pass Road. Way before my time. I live almost exactly in the middle, so a boulder that size getting me is going to be a rare event.
I used to drive out there to a customer once in a while some years back. Always admired the kinda "moonscape" look of the place with all of the rock formations.

Son and I went to see the Leonardo Da Vinci display at the Reagan Library a while back.
Old 07-12-2020, 03:20 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yesterday I applied for a job at a company I worked at for 13 years (quit there in 2006). Will be interesting if I get an interview.
Old 05-21-2021, 03:34 AM
RichiLans

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Stress is very strongly influenced by the environment around you, the daily routine, and the amount of free time.