High stress jobs vs less stress and lower pay. - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-04-2020, 03:16 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
High stress jobs vs less stress and lower pay.

For most of my career I had highly stressful jobs. Much of the time working long hours (salary, so no overtime pay) and/or working a 2nd job. I generally worked 60 - 75 hours per week.

Our Son is autistic, and my Wife stayed home to care for and homeschool him. He's 21 now and doing well; working part time and attending college.

In 2016 I was laid off from the highest stress job I'd ever had. It was bad for my health and sanity, but the pay and benefits were great. I was there for ten years, and the job provided well for us.

Later in 2016 I landed a better job. Best pay/benefits I'd ever had. Only a few miles from home, worked with great people and only had to go in three days a week. I was laid off (due to CV) in April.

I've been looking at job openings I'm qualified for that would pay near what I used to make. All appear to want someone willing to sell his soul to the company. Travel, overtime, weekends, on call, work any shift, etc. I know for a fact that most of these companies only hire people straight out of college.

Now that I'm older and have fewer financial commitments, I'm thinking of ditching the want of higher pay in favor of something that I might actually enjoy. I can get by okay with ~50% of what I used to make, as long as I have good medical insurance. I'm about maxed out on how much of my remaining free time on Earth I want to sell.

May have to buy CCI instead of the more spendy stuff, but that's okay.

What say you?
Old 07-04-2020, 03:37 AM
labratt104
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I say you're on the right track. Insurance is a must-have these days, and is easily the number 1 perk.

I traded watching my kids grow up for chasing the high income and benefits to keep my family safe
and well provided for.

If you can find a job that won't require a blood oath to land, and you can survive with (shudder)
CCI instead of Eley ammo at the range, I say go for it!

Just my humble opinion, but...Been There, Done That. I do NOT recommend that life style.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:30 AM
jerryray
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I guess it depends. I've had a few low paying jobs that came with plenty of stress. Many times the stress level depends on your supervisor or people you work with and not so much on your actual work. I found out early that I liked to work outside and independently. So I found a job that allowed me to do that and I was happy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-04-2020, 06:43 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (44)
Some of the most unhappiest people I know are people in high stress jobs. Long hours and demands of performing to their superiors ages them harshly. Yes, they have the badges of success (i.e. late model vehicles, large homes, etc.) but they are often budding alcoholics to cope with that reality.

Living within your means sounds like a good plan. Reducing / eliminating debt often eliminates the need for the high stress lifestyle.
Old 07-04-2020, 06:59 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Why not start your own consulting business ? Believe me its a lot less stressful than working for a Company. As a Consultant they pay you 5 times more than they do as an employee and dont subject you to all the Company BS. You go get the job done and get paid. Yes youll have to buy your own insurance, but thats not hard. Overtime you can partner up with others in your field . Its a good life if you do it right.
Old 07-04-2020, 08:09 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Look at it this way: You only get one life time and no one knows just long that life time will be. It seems to me that you have missed out on a lot during yours. Maybe it's time to slack off some and get more enjoyment out of the part you have left.

I did about the same as you, worked a lot of long hours and missed out a loton watching my kids grow up. I got a chance to take early retirement and took it which gave me the time to enjoy my grandkids growing up and now their kids. It's much better than keeping your nose to the grindstone all the time.
Old 07-04-2020, 09:36 AM
PuddleJumper65
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just my opinion and how Iím making changes to my own life, we are not put here to work and then die even though the government would have us spend our life pumping money into the machine, so if you donít enjoy life along the way, whatís the point, yes supporting you family is top priority but have fun along the way is a must...
You just have to find the middle ground thatís right for you...
PJ
Old 07-04-2020, 11:45 AM
dlong

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Going through so much BS at work right now I feel like Iím being pushed out because of age. Everything gets dumped on the guy that knows what he is doing. I figure I have to hump through 3 more years. Your last 5 years of income before retirement really effects your SS dollars. I would like to make it to 65 which is when Medicare kicks in. Then a nice little part time gig would do for some brain stimulation and a few bucks . If your not making it, your spending it. Just glad I paid off the mortgage 3 years early.
......Tom Petty
Old 07-04-2020, 12:04 PM
comfisherman

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
Send a message via AIM to comfisherman
I fished when young all the way through college, and preferred it to my college degree so kept going afterward. It necessitated buying boats and accruing permits and quota, as well as all the ancillary gear equipment and know how. Now in my mid thirties my body decided to tell me NO. To many years with months and months of sleepless days sometimes weeks, injuries that were never addressed.

For the first time in my life the idea of not fishing is starting to sound good, granted the 10 seizures that have occurred since January have helped with that. The idea of lower stress for better life may be the right alternative, certainly has been nice to sleep at night.

Good luck with you endeavors, hope you have peace with whatever job you end up with.
Old 07-04-2020, 12:17 PM
Fredvon4
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
just for consideration ....If you will rely on Social Security in your retirement...be mindful of how many high pay years are diluted by lower pay years....the SSA are criminals
Old 07-04-2020, 12:46 PM
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Who to work for, fringe benefits in mind.

Before this coronavirus, I would say go to work for a college or university for the usually good fringe benefits. But today, I would say you might be best off working for a major hospital. They will have excellent heath insurance. They have lots of money coming in so are able to pay competitive wages and it is not an industry subject to being wiped out by the internet. All kinds of jobs, from office, to finance, to housekeeping etc.

And while you are at it, consider how you can simplify your life. Move to a smaller less expensive house and one closer to where you will be working. Good luck.
Old 07-04-2020, 01:11 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I was laid off from a good paying job about 6 yrs. ago. I took a similar position but with much less responsibility & less pay . I figured it would just be temporary until something better came along.
After a few months I found that I very much enjoyed the rather relaxed working pace compared to my previous job. The hours were less & the job much closer to home with no traffic to contend with. I had more free time , I was more relaxed and less tired. I talked it over with my wife & we both agreed that while the income was less it was a good trade off & I've been there ever since.
Our three children are all through school & out on their own & our home is all paid for as are our cars.
I will probably be approaching my employer in the near future and asking about working 4 days a week instead of 5 which means a further reduction in pay of about $1200 per month. But I consider it well worth it . Life has to be about more than just working & making money.
If you can afford to do it I say go for it !
Old 07-04-2020, 01:32 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Years of experimentation has proven to me

Enjoy your independence-

your mileage may very ......
pipestone
Old 07-04-2020, 01:41 PM
JTJ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At 80 I dont have a lot of years left. I retired a t 60 because I could. Get out of the high stress or you might not make it much past 60.
Old 07-04-2020, 02:15 PM
Njjr
National Guard Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I retired at 53 and never looked back. I did take some part time jobs from time to time and also did some wedding photography for a time. Not because of need, but just to pass the time. I am now 84 years old and still happily getting my pension which provides me with a cost of living raise each year, while also drawing a decant SSA check each month. I get partial health care benefits from my past employer. Wouldn't say I was wealthy, but I am comfortable and get to do everything I like. Yes my first job as a Baltimore City Police Officer was very stressful at times but when it stopped being fun I threw in the towel. But everyone does not have these options and find themselves locked into a job they hate. Thank God that never happened to me. Going to work was always fun for me as I loved the excitement that sometimes happened and there was a lot of down time just looking at the scenery.