Headspace question - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-31-2021, 09:56 PM
extmc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I was out at the gopher patch today and my rifle stopped extracting the fired casing. I pried out a couple with my knife and noticed the rim has rounded and looks like it is expanding back to the bolt. I fired about 15 rounds like this from 2 different batches of ammo. The extractor can not grab the rim. I did notice a couple of times the bolt was very hard to open after firing. Am I correct is believing that this is a headspace issue, and how do I correct it? This is one of the very early Savage Bmags and probabbly has about 700 rounds fired. The bolt upgrade has been done. Thanks for all of your thoughts and ideas.
Old 08-01-2021, 03:20 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had that trouble with old ammo but no trouble after ditching that ammo. My rifle is of the first skinny barreled model.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:50 AM
extmc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This ammo is probably 4-5 years old. I picked up a bunch when there was talk of shortage and possible discontinue of the 17WSM. My rifle has performed well and is accurate enough for my use. Just very puzzled why it started this extraction problem. Thank you for the insight, Old Hickory, I appreciate very much. This forum is followd regularly and you and several others are always here to help. Will use up this batch and start into the newer stuff at the back of the safe and see what happens.
Old 08-01-2021, 07:54 AM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Clean the rifle paying particular attention to the extractor. Try again and then run some different ammo to try and find out what the problem is.
Old 08-01-2021, 08:21 AM
B23
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Call Savage Tech Support ( 1 (413) 568-7001) tell them you're having extraction issues and you'd like a new extractor, spring, and plunger. They'll ship them out to you, probably within the week, and you're problems will be solved. They're pretty easy to replace I had mine swapped out in about five minutes.

The extractor on the Bmag is a known issue. Mine stopped extracting properly within the first 100 rounds. I called Savage Tech Support explained my problem they sent me out all new parts within the week and I was back up and running. I've put many rounds through mine since and it's extracted 100% reliable.

I know others have had extraction issues and they did the same, called Savage Tech, they sent them out new parts and were back up and running with 100% reliable extraction since.

I'm not really much of a Savage fan, even though I have three of their rimfire rifles, but, I gotta give credit where credit is due, Savage's Tech Support has been stellar and whenever I call them they are always quick to send me whatever parts I need to fix my problem.
Old 08-01-2021, 09:38 PM
extmc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Back out again today and used a different lot # of ammo. Worked perfectly!! Old Hickory , you were right on the money with your suggestion. Rifle is spotlessly clean and bolt and extractor are working as designed. A lot of gophers met their end today!! Best shot was 270 yards. The old skinney barrel got hot today. Thanks to everybody for thoughts and suggestions.
Old 08-02-2021, 12:33 PM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extmc View Post
Back out again today and used a different lot # of ammo. Worked perfectly!! Old Hickory , you were right on the money with your suggestion. Rifle is spotlessly clean and bolt and extractor are working as designed. A lot of gophers met their end today!! Best shot was 270 yards. The old skinny barrel got hot today. Thanks to everybody for thoughts and suggestions.
You are most welcome, extmc!

I was having a lot of trouble with misfires and finally figured it was not the ammo so I tried to have Savage send me a new firing pin and spring for my skinny barreled rifle. Since I had the rifle more than a year, they would only let a gunsmith receive the parts. They sent the parts to my gunsmith and the price was low.

My gunsmith pal replaced the firing pin and spring. It didn't fix the problem and the original parts looked fine.

Larry then cut off a couple of loops of the original firing pin return spring and the rifle works great. The dang return spring was too long and creating a bind. I never considered the return spring would be the problem.

Until the fix, I had 6 or 8 misfires in a row at times and it cost me a lot of game.

You might consider this if you start to suffer a lot of unexplained misfires.
Old 08-03-2021, 08:18 AM
extmc

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had 2 misfires yesterday and turned them 180 degrees aand they both fired a second time. Firing pin strikes were good, so I am guessing bad primer. Got a couple more boxes of the bad batch to go so I will have single shot. At $25 a box I don't want to throw it away!! The 270 yard kill was more good luck than good shooting!! Had my new .22 Magnum CZ457 Lux out with me, but the long shots are saved for the Bmag! Thanks for the info on the firing pin return spring. I have contacted Savage once for a bad magazine, and they sent a new one at no cost. Home today so will have to wait awhile to get into the real new ammo.
Old 08-04-2021, 02:21 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by extmc View Post
I had 2 misfires yesterday and turned them 180 degrees aand they both fired a second time. Firing pin strikes were good, so I am guessing bad primer. Got a couple more boxes of the bad batch to go so I will have single shot. At $25 a box I don't want to throw it away!! The 270 yard kill was more good luck than good shooting!! Had my new .22 Magnum CZ457 Lux out with me, but the long shots are saved for the Bmag! Thanks for the info on the firing pin return spring. I have contacted Savage once for a bad magazine, and they sent a new one at no cost. Home today so will have to wait awhile to get into the real new ammo.
I had ammo with little primer material. One of my gunsmith pals and I removed the bullet and powder from some rounds and discovered several with spotty primer material. That was during the time my BMAG was suffering lots of misfires a year ago. Added to my problem, the rifle was also have the firing pin return problem. It was a circus of problems that took some time to solve between actually it being an ammo problem and it being a rifle failure. Older ammo is certainly junk.
Old 08-04-2021, 01:39 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
My Bmag shoots well but fired cases look like this. Some are flat but most are domed.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2857.jpg (221.5 KB, 7 views)
Old 08-04-2021, 05:49 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
Savage said to send it in. How long will that take, Al?
Old 08-04-2021, 10:19 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No more than 6mo. Why do you ask? They're much faster now so I read. Some of mine are domed but not that bad. Now my auto hummer is a domer.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:14 AM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
If it's a decent shooter, what would you do?
Old 08-05-2021, 03:35 PM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alum572 View Post
If it's a decent shooter, what would you do?
I would certainly have it fixed.
Old 08-05-2021, 10:47 PM
alum572

TPC Rating: 
100% (54)
Thanks.