High stress jobs vs less stress and lower pay. - Page 7 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:52 PM
dlong
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I would have loved for my company to give me a 15 month vacation and then take a job for half with no stress. But I was not one of the lucky ones. Good luck with the new gig.
......Tom Petty
Old 07-17-2021, 08:39 PM
Rosscoe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
I use to change truck tires along the freeway.... high stress,low pay! I had the best of both worlds.

Last edited by Rosscoe; 07-17-2021 at 08:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:44 PM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
I would have loved for my company to give me a 15 month vacation and then take a job for half with no stress. But I was not one of the lucky ones. Good luck with the new gig.
Thanks.

I learned something after being off so long; I don't think real retirement is for me. As long as I can do something half-way useful that doesn't drive me nuts.
Old 07-17-2021, 11:47 PM
aztarget

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I thought you already were halfway nuts.

Sent from my 9029Z using Tapatalk
Old 07-18-2021, 12:26 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aztarget View Post
I thought you already were halfway nuts.
Now lookie here, AZ. Don't make me go all Patrick Swayze Road House crazy on you. Ya dig?

Old 07-18-2021, 12:34 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipestone View Post
Trust the job goes well..sometimes busier is better

..keeps a fat butt from developing and clears the head.

Attitude of gratitude goes a long ways-
Yes. I'm very thankful that I was given this opportunity.
Old 07-18-2021, 01:41 AM
Phil in Alabama

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I worked for family for thirty years, high stress AND low pay.

If you're young and happy and offered a place in a family business: run. Run far run fast do not look back.
Old 08-01-2021, 12:19 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Two weeks in and so far so good.

Bit of an adjustment getting back into the swing of things after being off for so long, but I'm happier now than I was while practicing for retirement. Time goes by quickly and I'm doing work that I enjoy. About 20 years ago was the last time I was able to say that.

One thing I really missed after being laid off from my previous job were the people I worked with. They were a great bunch and although the job was very stressful, I always looked forward to interacting with them. We supported each other and made work as fun as possible.

The new job is at a facility where I used to work, so I know many of the people there. I was happy to see them and most greeted me enthusiastically, saying they were glad I was back. A few others, not so much, lol.

Odd thing is, I'm not a people person (or didn't think I was?).
Old 08-01-2021, 12:27 AM
Signmaster
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee3 View Post
Two weeks in and so far so good.

Bit of an adjustment getting back into the swing of things after being off for so long, but I'm happier now than I was while practicing for retirement. Time goes by quickly and I'm doing work that I enjoy. About 20 years ago was the last time I was able to say that.

One thing I really missed after being laid off from my previous job were the people I worked with. They were a great bunch and although the job was very stressful, I always looked forward to interacting with them. We supported each other and made work as fun as possible.

The new job is at a facility where I used to work, so I know many of the people there. I was happy to see them and most greeted me enthusiastically, saying they were glad I was back. A few others, not so much, lol.

Odd thing is, I'm not a people person (or didn't think I was?).
Good to hear that things seem to have worked out for the better.

I left a job a few months back working for a place that wasn't paying anywhere near what they should for the drama involved. And don't regret it for a second. I've got to get looking within the next couple months, and I'm just trying to make sure I don't make the same mistake.

As for people that you miss interacting with.... it doesn't have to be at work. I'm getting together with people from a couple jobs ago next weekend for a couple cold ones. Keep ties with the good ones, and you don't have to avoid the ones you don't miss if you no longer work with them.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:30 PM
RJF22553
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My last job wasn't particularly high-stress: I was considered the resident "expert" on the things we did and was appreciated as such by both co-workers and our customer. What would take them hours or days to complete, I could do usually in about 20 minutes because - unlike them - I'd been doing this for close to 20 years and knew the ins/outs and pitfalls. I spent many un-paid overtime hours and on weekends to save them the time - something that made me feel good and something they appreciated. They were my friends and I made their life better.

Over time and because of family losses, I chose to go to a 32-hour work-week: a 20% loss of pay but retaining other benefits. Fridays were "my own" and time to spend going for walks with my beloved Fi, and then relax at the computer monitoring the work challenges of my friends at work and making life better for them while my beloved Fi rested from our hours-long walks. It was all something I enjoyed, and most of it was "free" for the customer.

My last 2-3 years of employment was mostly telecommuting (with my last year 100% telecommuting), with the occasional "team hug" or conference. We were all telecommuting before telecommuting was a "thing" back in 2009, as our customer had moved to a different time zone and there was no office presence required. Our customer and fellow team members all had Blackberries and if I wanted to take a break to take my Fi for a long walk, I would, and sometimes conduct business on those walks. So there was, essentially zero stress.

As they say, all good things come to an end, and so it was in Dec 2011, when our contract was not renewed. I made good bucks even for a 32-hour work-week, had a great boss, and rather enjoyed my work. I would have continued on with that, but somehow, God let me know it was time to retire and spend even more or my diminishing time with my beloved Fi and just enjoy life fully. For that, I will be eternally grateful as I was able to spend a fully retired year+ with my dearest Fi until it was time for her to enter God's loving embrace.

Stress has many faces. When I was younger, I pretty much embraced stress and was most happy with it. Not so much anymore...
Old 08-02-2021, 02:01 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Signmaster View Post

As for people that you miss interacting with.... it doesn't have to be at work. I'm getting together with people from a couple jobs ago next weekend for a couple cold ones.
Yeah, we said we'd do that.

However, last month I did meet up with a couple of guys I'd worked with ~20 years ago. That was a good time, except for discussion about other guys we'd worked with who'd died.