Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-31-2021, 11:27 AM
DMTJAGER

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Savage MKII and 93 extraction and mag probs

Need some truthful experienced based answers from Savage MKII and 93 owners.

Not in anyway trying to bash or denigrate Savage rifles as I own a bunch, love and whole heartedly recommend them.

I have added this question as it should have been asked. Do the Savage models B22, 93 and MKII all share the same extractor design?

Was considering buying a Savage MKII or 93 for my son as I can find a few of each at very reasonable prices but are concerned about both having problems with extracting fired cases and feeding issues from their mags.

Now I know how the internet can be at times is on reviews of equipment, but my searches have turned up a rather alarming number of posts and even a few videos detailing extraction and magazine issues.

I know the B22 Precision has issues with both extracting and mag feeding (I know the B22 has a rotary mag and the MKII and 93 have vertical mags) and would like to avoid buying a rifle with such issues as I have no desire to have to modify parts of a brand new rifle just to get to to function reliably as I have seen owners of the B22 PR have done.

Thanks,
Art.

Last edited by DMTJAGER; 07-31-2021 at 11:37 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:05 PM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up My B22 FV opinion

As said in the title above, I have a B22FV which I bought last Sept. It has the 'cone-shaped' rim/chamber lip which allows un-obstructed access to the extractor and tho I've only shot about 2000 rounds I've had NO FTE with 8 diff brands of 'mostly' SV ammo. I;m not a great shot so far but I'm able to keep around sub-3/4" @ 50 with the CCI-SV, Fed Champion 40g-SV, SK+, Fed Gold Medal - all relatively low-cost ammo. The SK+ is the most expensive I'm shooting, and I'm using a Covenant-4 6-24x50 FFP scope. My range is outdoors and usually has under 10mph cross or head-winds or I switch to higher caliber rifles.
One complaint I've seen about the B22 and Precision is the ammo in the mag being 'scraped' by the bolt during cycling. I've frequently checked that by 'pulling' unfired ammo out of the chamber and I've NEVER found it to be the case with MY rifle. I have 3 mags that I try to use in rotation, usually load all of them, fire all then reload again and none have shown that problem (likely holding bullets a 'tiny bit' too high) AND I've NEVER had any of the 3 not be 'fully flush' when inserted (another prob I've 'read about').
ALL of this could just be a lucky break with selection of my rifle - Mail-order from a dealer, but I love the FV barrel. Mine is NOT the SR model which is becoming more popular but I'm in Canada where suppressors are NOT legal anyway. I chose to avoid the 93 and Precision due to the many problems I've read about both of those models AND the addtl $3-400 for the Precision model.
Good Luck with whichever you choose,
Ed
Old 07-31-2021, 12:14 PM
Fasteddie01

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

BTW - I forgot to say that I've lightened the trigger by 'softening' the T-spring with heat, and polished all the internals with 1000g paper. The trigger is around 2.5#. And I just shoot off a Front bag with my hand under the butt stock. Nothing fancy here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2021, 04:48 PM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My early MK II has never given me an extraction issue. I have had problems with the magazine not locking in place and falling out. I also had the newer model of the rifle and it never gave any magazine problem but did have extraction problems which careful and through cleaning did nothing to help. Adding another spring on top of the original solved the problem. It also had accuracy problems and I no longer have it. Still have the early one though and it as good as any CZ of it's age when it comes to accuracy. I haven't put it up against any of the new model CZ's as I don't know anyone that has one.
Old 07-31-2021, 06:37 PM
12Bravo
US Army Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have not had any issues with extraction or the magazines with any of my MkII rifles.
Old 07-31-2021, 09:07 PM
doublechaz

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mine is too modified to offer any info on this topic.

But it is hard to gauge in general. If someone is happy about a product or service they may tell someone one day. If they are unhappy with a product or service they will tell every person they see for the next week.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:52 PM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The Mark ll s I have work just fine, no issues. But if you’re hard on stuff, the mags are slightly flimsy and will fail . But they are cheap and easy to replace.
They're $200 - $400 guns, they shoot great , for $200 -$400 guns.

Want a better gun , buy a CZ.

Build a 1022.
Old 07-31-2021, 11:29 PM
HJA8

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have two Mark II E receivers built 2009 & 2012. Also have 5X5 shot & 3X10 shot factory mags & single shot adaptors.

Both rifles are fitted with match chambered replacement barrels and have fired thousands of rounds of SK/Lapua ammo without any function issues or parts failures.

Neither will reliably extract a live round - My responsibility entirely as these are range rifles only and I asked for both to be match chambered - One with PTG Match & one with Calfee No. 1.
Old 08-01-2021, 02:52 PM
Mulby

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a MK11, MK1, and a B22 that all exhibited extraction issues around the 800-1000 round mark. Didn’t matter how immaculately clean they were. Savage sent cartridge guides after I requested extractors. That was the end of my savage rimfire experience. They were all accurate rifles, but the constant malfunction was to much to deal with at the range.
Old 08-01-2021, 05:58 PM
Fiddleharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There are numerous post by yours truly concerning the failure to eject nightmare I experienced with my nearly-new MKII-GL starting in 2012. My worst moment came when I shot a big fruit tree-raiding raccoon out of a tall tree in my backyard one night, shortly after I'd acquired this rifle. When he hit the ground, he was ready to fight, and focused his rage on me. I tried to rack another round and to my horror, discovered the fired casing was still in the chamber! I ran like hell, and after a short chase, the 'coon turned and headed back to the woods.
This problem persisted and Savage sent me a second C-clamp extractor spring which I placed over the original. That help a little, but the problem continued on and off for a couple more years. Then one day, I discovered the problem had solved itself. Now I never get a FTE or any other problem.
Was the nearly-new barrel, chamber, and extractor finally "shot in", "broke in" or whatever?
However the problem solved itself, I'm grateful, because this rather inexpensive rifle is a crazy-accurate tack-driver and I'm happy to have it.
Old 08-01-2021, 06:33 PM
bugeye

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by doublechaz View Post
If someone is happy about a product or service they may tell someone one day. If they are unhappy with a product or service they will tell every person they see for the next week.
You're exactly right. That's why I take bad reviews with a grain of salt.
According to reviews, my P22 should have blown up and killed me years ago.

I once owned a model 93 stainless heavy barrel with an after market trigger that would shoot right up there with a CZ using Winchester hollow points.
I never fired any other brand in it.

Plus I own a Lakefield deluxe which I did a shade tree trigger job on which is minute-of-squirrel at 50 yards.

Neither ever gave any problems.
Old 08-06-2021, 11:21 AM
Joe D
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
My TR has flawless extraction. Changed the trigger spring. Pull is now 8-9 oz. Mine loves SK Std +. I did add a nylon spacer under the trigger guard action screw to allow 35 in/lb of torque without caving in the thin wood there.
Old 08-06-2021, 12:58 PM
Boilerjack22
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a Savage B22 FV-SR, a Mk II FV-SR, and a Mk II F, I see mainly CCI HP mini-mags, never had an issue so far.
Old 08-07-2021, 06:31 AM
Hardhammer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My mk2 fvsr have fte with some cheap ammo, but shoot cci sv and sk family with 0 fail. I had a 10 shots magazine that would not clip wathever i tried, apart that, a joy to shoot and more precise than her price would suggest.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 98E28EFC-360F-40B9-A461-69016A0AF3CE.jpeg (58.4 KB, 51 views)
Old 08-07-2021, 10:52 AM
Toomany22s

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhammer View Post
My mk2 fvsr have fte with some cheap ammo, but shoot cci sv and sk family with 0 fail. I had a 10 shots magazine that would not clip wathever i tried, apart that, a joy to shoot and more precise than her price would suggest.
What cheek riser is that , please? I think mine wants one
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 82D826FB-7E0C-414E-9921-EB0344A390FA.jpg (508.3 KB, 4 views)