Threading receiver and barrel - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-23-2021, 05:52 PM
chuckr21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Thanks for the input. That's why I came here to ask!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKnarr View Post
My opinion about barrel droop. I believe it is caused when guys change barrels and the way they take the old barrel out. I removed several barrel and never had droop in any of them. Again, my opinion. The 10/22 receiver is pretty thin to start with and threading can only make it weaker.

I have a custom Anschutz and that barrel was pressed in and so is the replacement. I had a Savage .204 Ruger and that barrel was pressed in.

My benchrest 10/22 has a pressed in replacement barrel on a Ruger receiver. It is capable of shooting groups like this,

My hunting 10/22 has a pressed in barrel and is capable of shooting groups like this on a windy day.

My opinion only, threading a barrel to a 10/22 receiver is a waste of money and won't buy anything.
Old 07-24-2021, 08:28 AM
Stockcrafter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Chukr21,
You might also check into Green Mountain barrels. I bought my first GM barrel last month, and I am very impressed by it's performance. It's a 20" SS tapered. So, far it seems to be almost as good as my Shilen in a Kidd receiver that I have. The GM will, and has, clustered 4 shots into .126" using SK Rifle Match. It has produced 5-shot groups of .276", .348" & .396" with the same ammo.
Check the posts & see what others have to say.
Old 07-24-2021, 06:46 PM
chuckr21

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have looked at them as well, and was impressed with everything I've heard about them. The only reason I was leaning toward Feddersen over GM is because Fedderson had barrels in stock. But from what I've read, both make excellent barrels.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stockcrafter View Post
Chukr21,
You might also check into Green Mountain barrels. I bought my first GM barrel last month, and I am very impressed by it's performance. It's a 20" SS tapered. So, far it seems to be almost as good as my Shilen in a Kidd receiver that I have. The GM will, and has, clustered 4 shots into .126" using SK Rifle Match. It has produced 5-shot groups of .276", .348" & .396" with the same ammo.
Check the posts & see what others have to say.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:12 PM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Kidd 2013 model year Supergrade that at that time came with a threaded into the receiver 20 inch match barrel.

No 10/22 has ever matched it, and anyone that wants one of these super rare rifles will have to pony up some big bucks.
This not an installment item.

Just a recent target to be added to the many many superb group and scores targets shot by this rifle, and chronicled on this forum.
Tap photo for lager viewing of this awesome target.

Shot off this humble and very basic set up. This riffle really deserves a super highend one piece rest....

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 07-24-2021 at 08:03 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:15 AM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Who did the build on that 20" threaded rig? Barrel maker?
Very Nice!
Old 07-26-2021, 09:27 AM
Smoothtrigger
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No one has commented on my above post, so I think I should let everyone know it was totally tongue in cheek and over the top nonsense.
Just couldn't resist.
I do not believe that my rifles screwed in barrel is better than the new Kidd Supergrade design.

Baby Automag

The entire rifle is made by KIDD except for the Ruger mag, and the McMillian stock.

The barrel is a Loather Walther Blank that KIDD chambers, crowns and threads into the receiver. That's what makes it unique.

They stopped producing that version of the Supergrade years ago.
Now that you can't get it, it has become somewhat legendary as a bit of unobtainium.

They have switched to a long tenon turn and click two screw barrel today.
That new design allows you to swap Supergrade barrels easily, something my version can not do

The Muzzle tip, despite how it looks is not threaded.
That ring on the end is a KIDD design feature that allows shooters to instantly know it's a KIDD barrel.

Smooth

Last edited by Smoothtrigger; 07-28-2021 at 08:57 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 06:05 PM
Auzzie

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
There is a new manufacturer of spin on barrels/rcvers; in Canada under Grey Birch Solutions.

I sold a Dlask receiver, dlask carbon barrel with their adjusting vblock to get the grey birch set up. Dlask is also known as a tight fit, and actually had them press it together for me.

The Dlask set up shot better. Sitting in the same stock, same scope, same length barrel, same trigger; the dlask set up was just a better shooter. Even out to 200 yards.

The things we learn with experience. Duh!
Old 07-28-2021, 07:11 PM
Baby Automag

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the specs on your great looking rifle, very smooth indeed!
I have to keep learning as more things keep changing and I can't keep up, lol
Great to have good people to help.
Old 07-31-2021, 07:30 PM
homersapien

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd skip the threaded barrel/receiver and go with a Kidd Supergrade. Kidd's barrels are outstanding, but more importantly - for me - is that I can pop the barrel off without removing the action from the stock, clean it, then put it back on with no loss of zero. I also think that Kidd's rear action screw is going to make your rifle more accurate than threading + 1 action screw.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:57 PM
M2HB

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I know Iím new to the party.

Welcome to the forum.

I really like the new style Kidd Super Grade receiver barrel mount system.

Their old, slip in system is so tight, requiring heat on the receiver and the barrel in the freezer, that I doubt any other connecting method will get you any significant accuracy difference.