Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-31-2021, 03:23 PM
Lyndon Holcomb
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Victor recoil spring replacement.

My Victor needs the recoil spring replaced even though it was replaced previously and since then not many rounds have been shot. The need for replacement was suggested by the company that replaced it when I called to ask for a fix for the slide being nearly impossible to pull back after dry firing with a snap cap in the chamber The head of the company said that the problem was surely the recoil spring because they had purchased a batch of springs that were not manufactured to specs and offered to replace the spring at no charge if I would send the pistol back to him. While this is a nice offer, I do not want to send it back to him for several reasons. What I would like is to send the slide only to a competent gunsmith who for a reasonable price will replace the recoil spring with the correct spring. I found a Rimfire Central post by a [email protected] in 2005 who explained in detail how to do it and then at the end of the post said as an alternative send it to him and he would do it which was a more desireable option for me. I emailed him but it was kicked back. I realize that a lot can happen in 16 years, but I thought it was worth a try.
So, after this lengthy explanation I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions from this august group.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:15 PM
SGVictor

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndon Holcomb View Post
My Victor needs the recoil spring replaced even though it was replaced previously and since then not many rounds have been shot. The need for replacement was suggested by the company that replaced it when I called to ask for a fix for the slide being nearly impossible to pull back after dry firing with a snap cap in the chamber The head of the company said that the problem was surely the recoil spring because they had purchased a batch of springs that were not manufactured to specs and offered to replace the spring at no charge if I would send the pistol back to him. While this is a nice offer, I do not want to send it back to him for several reasons. What I would like is to send the slide only to a competent gunsmith who for a reasonable price will replace the recoil spring with the correct spring. I found a Rimfire Central post by a [email protected] in 2005 who explained in detail how to do it and then at the end of the post said as an alternative send it to him and he would do it which was a more desireable option for me. I emailed him but it was kicked back. I realize that a lot can happen in 16 years, but I thought it was worth a try.
So, after this lengthy explanation I would greatly appreciate any comments or suggestions from this august group.
Jim Barta ( jaybar) died in December 2012. Then a member Steve Stafford ( Steve S) was doing driving spring replacements but he has also died in 2016.
Old 07-31-2021, 04:27 PM
Dcarey51
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
All Victors are notoriously hard to cock manually. I keep a cloth on hand to get a better grip on the slide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2021, 04:42 PM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Victor Issue

First of all, Mr Holcomb is mixed up about his problem(which is actually OUR problem). We repaired his pistol and installed a new MAINSPRING(or Hammer Spring). He called and said that his Victor was almost impossible to cock. I told him that I had run into the same problem with two of the new pistols that I had taken to Camp Perry. I discovered that in our inventory that some of the springs looked as if the coils were closer together than others. I took them to our spring vendor that noticed that the music wire size was larger in some. I am HAPPY to replace the mainspring at no charge and pay shipping both ways. I guess that he didn't understand. He can send it to us when he is ready !!!!- Alan Aronstein

Last edited by Alan Aronstein; 08-01-2021 at 09:30 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 10:00 PM
oldbird13

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Can't beat that for honesty and customer service. Class act!
Old 08-01-2021, 07:34 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Don't send the entire pistol but only the slide to get the replacement recoil spring.

No one but Alan Aronstein has the depth of parts and/or the gunsmith connections to fix these guns. Here's some history of the High Standard brand:

The Connecticut version of the company closed its doors in the 1980's after many decades of operations. Investors bought the name and the engineering from them and opened up in Houston Texas shortly thereafter. Alan Aronstein was the man behind productizing those guns to modern processes. Those Texas versions were sold until about 5 or so years ago when the Texas company went bankrupt. Alan gathered the former Texas employees together to create a new X-Series version of the same High Standard gun. So Alan has at hand virtually any part you might ever need for a 107 Hi Std gun. He also repairs any of them as well and has access to his former gunsmiths if needed. Alan is indeed "Mr High Standard" !!

I salute Alan for offering up the parts problem he had (good transparency) and his offer to fix the poster's gun.

The Victors are notoriously difficult to pull the slide to the rear when the hammer has fallen. The problem is mostly the lack of anything to grip onto to pull the slide back. The sharp edges of the sight can do a number on your hand. The rib gets in the way. Heaven help you if you have a red dot mounted on the rail. In my case this is only a problem once in a range trip....the first time I pull the slide to the rear with the hammer uncocked. Normally once shooting starts the slide is always held to the rear and the hammer cocked after the last round from the magazine. The problem can be minimized if you always leave the hammer cocked during storage of the gun (I resist doing that!). The Trophy is not much better in this regard as the sight mounting plates tend to block the serrations on the slide. No gun is perfect but these guns offer superb accuracy and a trigger to kill for.

LDBennett
Old 08-01-2021, 10:00 AM
coltlog

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
While your advice to ship only the slide for a driving spring replacement is valid, in the OP's case, it is the MAINSPRING that requires re-replacing, and it iis not in the slide. The OP will need to send the frame to Alan.

Last edited by coltlog; 08-01-2021 at 10:58 AM.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:29 AM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
coltlog

I have no idea what gun you have in mind but any Hi Std target gun made after about 1950 (and maybe earlier??) has the "Recoil Spring" inside the slide. I do realize that every gun manufacturer has different names for the various parts of guns, but the spring in a Hi Std target gun that controls recoil of the slide resides in the slide. The poster did say "recoil spring". The problem the poster has is with the pulling of the slide back against the recoil spring. I also know that Alan in the past has requested only the slide for several reason. One being that the slide is not a firearm (today, but maybe not tomorrow??) which means it does not have to be expensively shipped overnight, as a whole gun would require. At one point Alan did not have an FFL license to even receive a whole gun (???).

Note also that in these guns the recoil spring is commonly replaced every 10 to 15 thousand rounds. In contrast the hammer spring (large spring in the frame that drives the hammer) is rarely if ever replaced. Alan is on top of this and I think the poster does not recognize who Alan is and his qualifications. It is a shame Alan's spring supplier screwed up the springs Alan has on hand. But a contractor failure has happened catastrophically to Alan in the past. He will make it right for the poster if the poster will let him.

LDBennett
Old 08-02-2021, 10:04 AM
coltlog

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Alan corrected the OP by pointing out that it was the mainspring that was causing the difficulty, not the recoil spring. He had worked on this same gun previously.

See his post above.
Old 08-02-2021, 07:31 PM
LDBennett

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So sorry...missed that post from Alan.

I hate these various names for parts that manufactures use when a simple descriptive name would do and is used commonly. Also my eyesight is less than stellar (macular degeneration) and I miss words in posts. I need to try harder to read every word.

Indeed the hammer is cocked in the pulling of the slide to the rear. And if that hammer spring is excessive heavy then an already hard pull may become impossible. I am surprised that Alan would even change out the hammer spring no matter the age of the gun. Not all springs on these guns need replacement regularly!

LDBennett