Whats a reasonable price for MkIII Target Hunter? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-16-2021, 02:14 PM
jim2527

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Whats a reasonable price for MkIII Target Hunter?

What would be a fair market price for a MKIII Target Hunter SS with the fluted barrel? GB doesn't have enough of a sample size. Yes, I've read through the thread below this but most of those posts were a few years ago.

Model KMKIII678H

1. In factory condition.
2. With VQ internals but factory bolt.

Thx...

Last edited by jim2527; 07-16-2021 at 02:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2021, 11:04 PM
JStacy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (31)
Best guess 500-600 around here.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:48 AM
mauiblue

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If it has aftermarket parts, it's definitely not in "factory condition". If someone modified or altered a firearm, I'd be wary about buying. I bought my Mark III Hunter brand new from Bud's Gun Shop less than $500 about a dozen years ago. I then installed Volquartsen parts myself. Runs without issue since then. Good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-17-2021, 12:50 PM
jim2527

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauiblue View Post
If it has aftermarket parts, it's definitely not in "factory condition". If someone modified or altered a firearm, I'd be wary about buying. I bought my Mark III Hunter brand new from Bud's Gun Shop less than $500 about a dozen years ago. I then installed Volquartsen parts myself. Runs without issue since then. Good luck.
I understand what your saying but the OE parts are in a little plastic bag. It can easily be converted back to 'factory condition'.
Old 07-31-2021, 01:01 AM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Current new price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim2527 View Post
I understand what your saying but the OE parts are in a little plastic bag. It can easily be converted back to 'factory condition'.
I bought 2 MK3 hunters, new, November of last year, for 635.00 each. But, the VQ parts are not cheap that you are getting with your deal. I like that you are getting the original parts as well. You don’t find many of the Mk3 hunters for sale right now.
Old 08-03-2021, 07:10 PM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
$500-500. No more. The market dropped out of MK III's when the MK IV was introduced. The shop I worked at had to sell off their remaining MK III inventory at below cost to move them. Even then it took a year. Seems 95% of the shooters in the world are afraid of having to take a MK III apart. The rest of us enjoy the bargains and some good shooting.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:54 AM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
The market dropped out of MK III's when the MK IV was introduced. The shop I worked at had to sell off their remaining MK III inventory at below cost to move them. Even then it took a year. Seems 95% of the shooters in the world are afraid of having to take a MK III apart. The rest of us enjoy the bargains and some good shooting.
You need to factor in the cost of converting to Mark II configuration for any Mark III purchase.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:31 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Covert to MK2 ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
You need to factor in the cost of converting to Mark II configuration for any Mark III purchase.
As you can tell, I am ignorant about Ruger Mk pistols. Why convert to MK 2 ? How to convert to MK 2 ? I did take the LCI out of one pistol, the other I will convert today.
Old 08-04-2021, 03:54 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This thread is going on 3 weeks old and I just wondered. Did the OP pull the trigger yet, or decide to pass. Just curious.
Old 08-04-2021, 04:24 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I did not like the loose frame to barrel fit

Quote:
Originally Posted by edlmann View Post
I did not want the MKIV because of the barrel to grip frame fit. If you see shims for sale to correct a fit of the barrel to grip frame on a pistol, something is rotten in Ruger land.
That is why I stuck with the MK3. I could not find MK 2 pistols for sale in the hunter configuration.
Old 08-04-2021, 08:43 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
for me

The shims to fit barrel to frame on my VQ Scorpion is an enormous positive. I have had to use one to four to handle three different uppers. Not sure how or why the Mark IV uses them but on my VQ, I am very glad they are there.
Old 08-04-2021, 09:22 PM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Using several uppers ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzsax8 View Post
The shims to fit barrel to frame on my VQ Scorpion is an enormous positive. I have had to use one to four to handle three different uppers. Not sure how or why the Mark IV uses them but on my VQ, I am very glad they are there.
I can see shims on a custom gun……..but no on a Joe average. One barrel, one frame. Should fit snugly……no wobble .
Old 08-05-2021, 07:41 AM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guns View Post
I did not want the MKIV because of the barrel to grip frame fit. If you see shims for sale to correct a fit of the barrel to grip frame on a pistol, something is rotten in Ruger land.
That is why I stuck with the MK3. I could not find MK 2 pistols for sale in the hunter configuration.
I have nine different MK series pistols from MK I through MK IV. ( A few VQ conversions too.) They all have their virtues and drawbacks. The MK IV is no different. It's main "advantages" are the simple breakdown and safety configurations but it comes at the expense of getting a decent trigger out of them. I believe them to have tolerance issues too.( I still have an early one that even the Volquartsen mother ship couldn't get below 3.3#) I am just fine with MK II and IIIs myself. Easy to tune, easy to get a #2 trigger. That said, the "average joe shooter" thinks the MK IV is the best ever produced. Bottom line is to enjoy what you buy. p.s. Here is the last MK III I rescued from somebody "upgrading". Paid $300 as I recall. I already had the grips, sights and trigger parts kicking around from previous projects to finish her off as deserved.

Last edited by Tacoma; 08-05-2021 at 07:45 AM.
Old 08-05-2021, 07:56 AM
gr8guns

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
Nice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacoma View Post
I have nine different MK series pistols from MK I through MK IV. ( A few VQ conversions too.) They all have their virtues and drawbacks. The MK IV is no different. It's main "advantages" are the simple breakdown and safety configurations but it comes at the expense of getting a decent trigger out of them. I believe them to have tolerance issues too.( I still have an early one that even the Volquartsen mother ship couldn't get below 3.3#) I am just fine with MK II and IIIs myself. Easy to tune, easy to get a #2 trigger. That said, the "average joe shooter" thinks the MK IV is the best ever produced. Bottom line is to enjoy what you buy. p.s. Here is the last MK III I rescued from somebody "upgrading". Paid $300 as I recall. I already had the grips, sights and trigger parts kicking around from previous projects to finish her off as deserved.
Nice gun. I wish I could find a few for 300 bucks ! I do like the target slab side and hunter models . I only have the two MK111 hunter models. They are a lot different in cosmetics. One barrel has the flutes very shiny, the other, the flutes are matte finished. Both had pretty decent triggers right out of the box for a production gun. I still have to do work on the triggers, I changed grips to a more controllable model from Altamont. Do you remove the LCI on the MK111 pistols ?
Old 08-05-2021, 11:22 AM
Tacoma
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gr8guns View Post
Nice gun. I wish I could find a few for 300 bucks ! I do like the target slab side and hunter models . I only have the two MK111 hunter models. They are a lot different in cosmetics. One barrel has the flutes very shiny, the other, the flutes are matte finished. Both had pretty decent triggers right out of the box for a production gun. I still have to do work on the triggers, I changed grips to a more controllable model from Altamont. Do you remove the LCI on the MK111 pistols ?
Thank You! It's a great shooter too. Yes, I generally modify or replace the LCI as the few times I hesitated, it eventually caused stoppages. I also remove the mag disconnect to get a better trigger pull. IMHO, those two features were strictly lawyer driven and the worst "upgrades" to the MK III over MK II. That said, as much as I like my MK II's, I do feel the inclusion of the optics mount and movement of the mag release ( to the American position) were worthwhile changes. Not earthshattering but worthwhile.

p.s. As far as finish. It's easy enough to bring stainless models to high polish or matt finish with the use of polish and or (grey) scotch brite pads. It's kind of fun actually.

Last edited by Tacoma; 08-05-2021 at 11:52 AM.