Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-25-2021, 07:36 PM
Lerrab
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
it's settled!

I was very new at this PH thing and Fargo and I were having a nightly debate around the fire for about a week now about the best lion medicine during a charge. I couldn't see any drawbacks to a twelve gauge and heavy buckshot . Fargo asked how long we were going to have to debate this topic and I told him until it was settled. Fargo not one to add a lot of needless words was simply holding pat on a stopping rifle. " Always pack a stopping rifle" he would say.

By sheer coincidence a messenger arrived from the village down stream and told us of a wounded lion that had caught two young boys that were on their way to the river. Fargo told him we would be there at first light.

After paying our respects to the families we headed out . Fargo asked me if I wanted to lead and I told him I would if he would allow me to pack the twelve gauge and he said that would be fine. As we started into the bush I stopped and Fargo immediately told me he saw me load the shotgun , I checked it anyway! I no more than worked the pump forward when I heard the charge start. I swung hard to the sound and was instantly concerned. ( Fargo uses a different word than concerned to describe my state at the time) A massive black train with a full cargo load of death onboard was nearly on me. I fired the twelve into the bull with no effect . As I furiously worked the pump the blast from Fargo's big Five Hundy was barely audible above the roar of my heart. The Buff crumpled three paces in front of me. Unbeknownst a local had also wounded a buff a couple days earlier.

Fargo walked over , sat on the Buff and rolled a smoke. He handed me the smoke and said " I don't figure you are in any kind of shape to roll your own." I thanked him and as we smoked away and stared out into the distance , he asked me what we were going to talk about around the campfire that evening and I told him that I had no idea!

Last edited by Lerrab; 07-25-2021 at 07:44 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:41 PM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Talking Thanks!!!!

Thanks!!!! that brought a big smile to my face!!!
God Bless, Frank.
Old 07-25-2021, 08:44 PM
randyman_ar
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
I want a leather bound signed 1st addition when these stories finally hit print. so what did you talk about round the campfire that night...
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2021, 09:08 PM
squirrel1
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
He should have been packing hm2. Lol
Old 07-26-2021, 12:45 AM
Old Hickory

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squirrel1 View Post
He should have been packing hm2. Lol
Yeah!
Old 07-26-2021, 06:24 AM
Discontinued

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I like tales like this, kudos to you sir!

I'm not sure I could keep my cool in a situation like this. I remember running away like a little girl when we got charged by a swarm of rats. That we where blasting with silenced 410's.

Not to mention being attacked by a stampede of crabs on the sea shore. Truly creepy and absolutely bloody terrifying. Mate I didn't realise they could move that fast. They really are giant angry insects! Luckily we where armed!

We have a problem with wild boar in the UK and many parts of Europe, they can be extremely destructive to farmers crops and can indeed become very large and dangerous.

Most chaps over hear swear by a side by side slug shotgun, or double rifle for this purpose as a charging boar weighing close to a small car, is not something I would wish to tangle with, having to rack a bolt or pump can make the difference between coming home with enough meat to feed an army, or a trip to the A&E (Accident and Emergency) dept at your local hospital

Old 07-26-2021, 08:38 PM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Frank. you're welcome.

randyman, We found the lion already dead a little while later. Fargo figured that it died within an hour of it's run in with the boys. If only they had went to the river an hour later!
The conversation centered around the boys . Fargo knew them both personally and they were always talking about one day tracking for Fargo or Horn. A and D, Fargo's trackers were mentoring them at the time. I didn't do much talking as I would have been talking out of school! I always looked forward to the campfire talks and I can tell you this one was the saddest I was ever a part of. There was a lot of good things though as Fargo talked about things they had said here and there and things they had done. Fargo held them in very high esteem , I can assure you that is a very small club and at that point I wasn't in it! Two fine young men. I don't know why it happens that way!

Last edited by Lerrab; 07-26-2021 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:09 PM
Silas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lerrab View Post
The conversation centered around the boys . Fargo knew them both personally and they were always talking about one day tracking for Fargo or Horn. A and D, Fargo's trackers were mentoring them at the time.
Wasn't Domelvo shacked up with the older sister of one of the boys? The big chick from Nyahururu, up in the Rift Valley.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:43 PM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Silas, no that was his cousin. D probably wished it was him. Heck I often wished it was me! Horn who could stand a buffalo charge without taking the cigarette out of his mouth or stopping something he may be telling you at the time, couldn't think of his name if she was within ten feet of him, It was always hilarious!

Last edited by Lerrab; 07-27-2021 at 07:11 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:43 AM
jpickar

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I must say the first paragraph I figured it was a mountain lion here in the USA and a 12 ga with buckshot would be ideal. But when I read about the buffalo charging and being big and black I realized it was Africa. I agree with Fargo a big rifle.

Sorry to hear the lion got two friends of yours.

Yup a book with all the stories you can put together is forthcoming!
Old 07-30-2021, 03:16 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I met a fellow hunter here in town who was charged and subsequently gored quite badly by a large Cape Buff.... we traded stories at a gathering at our mutual taxidermist's home/trophy room and he admitted the entire incident was his own stupid fault. He lost 3/5 of his blood supply before an emergency room doctor who just happened to be his companion in camp was able to stabilize him long enough to get him to a hospital.... he even was quite willing to show me the scars up both his legs where the Buff trapped him and tore at him with the tips of his horns. The scars were horrendous to see and he was still walking with a cane approximately a year and a half after the incident but fully intended to go back and take on another Big Five as soon as he was able...

The year I went (2000) there had been record rains and the grass was waist high everywhere. With the flooding all the critters were pushed up on higher ground so snakes were a big worry. We saw a few but luckily they were headed away from us.. talked to a hunter from the group that hunted this concession a few weeks before us and he had the misfortune of coming upon a Black Mamba in the tall grass that stood up in front of him out of the blue. The only thing he could think to do was throw his rifle at it and run like hell.... I heard from the PH's it was quite the scene as they were right behind him....

Never did get a Warthog either as every time we would come upon them, all you could see was that silly knot at the end of their tails waving above the grass as they ran away....

I would love to go back again sometime soon...

Bob
Old 07-30-2021, 07:20 PM
Lerrab

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Bob, I assume someone shot the buff off of the man as unlike other members of the big five, buffs are not usually inclined to run or rake one over and consider it a job well done. They will generally stick around and stomp and gore to the point that relatives identify their love ones by their clothing.
Adult mambas will slither through a herd of buff with no worries. Mambas consider themselves worthy of respect amongst Africa's big game. Older adult brown eagles will hunt Mambas exclusively.

Last edited by Lerrab; 07-30-2021 at 07:25 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 09:34 PM
BobSc
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A great story in itself. The hunter had separated himself from the PH to "get a better angle" on the buff even after repeated warnings. He found himself in some thick bush and the buff came out of nowhere with very little time to react. After being gored and trampled the buff walked off a short distance in the bush but was coming back for more. Luckily, the tracker was close by, grabbed his rifle and put an end to the buff just as it was coming back into the small clearing the hunter was laying in.... saved his life for sure....

I haven't hunted Buffalo yet, but when I do it will be with these stories in mind...

A guy in our group was in a pit blind near a water hole one morning with a radio and the PH drove off to take care of another hunter. While in the blind the hunter noticed a snake moving around in the brush it was built out of, so he jumped out of the door and called the PH on the radio. The PH was back in about a minute and found the snake and dispatched it with a shotgun. It turned out to be a Mamba... I've heard enough stories about Mambas to be quite terrified of them ....