Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:52 AM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beeman QB78

I thought it proper that we have a thread on this gun, given that it's been around in one form or another for over 50 years. I bought mine from Pyramid over 5 years ago; I don't remember.

The scope I bought online over 20 years ago, a Eurolux or some such nonsense from some "sportsmans paradise" kind of online store. Also says "Gold Star" LOL

Owning only one centerfire rife, and a handful of .22s, I can say this scope has been on every rifle I own. It now finds itself on top of a Chinese airgun.

In any case, the QB78 has been indestructible, and for "windows in time" extremely accurate. My experience has been, that it does shift POI on occasion during the lifetime of the charge. Also, sometimes it takes a few shots to puncture the second CO2 cylinder.

You also waist a few pellets at the end of the charge; Daisy wadcutters are well suited for this. I wish there was a way to just bleed the charge and get on with putting a pair of new CO2 canisters in there.

To be frank, it's kind of cool to use the illuminated graticules (that still work after 20 years) to go with the flow and hold over as required to hit beverage cans that originate in Tampa (**** Gardens).

I did replace the O rings including the the one between the reservoir and receiver. I've no doubt I'll get the bolt kit from Archer. I really like this gun; want it to work.

I'll shoot some decent pellets through it and show some targets.

To be continued................
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 004.jpg (193.3 KB, 14 views)
Old 04-09-2021, 10:11 AM
Rimfiregal

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, I think a post on the QB78 is very appropriate. I have a couple of forum friends who recently bought the QB78 for the sake of getting into air gunning without taking the plunge into PCPs. They've been very pleased with the QB78 and appreciate all the mods that are available.
Old 04-09-2021, 10:31 AM
Vee3

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The AR2078 has a gas venting feature. See page 7 here...

http://www.flyingdragonairrifles.org...ifles%3A%20its

A QB78 can be modified similarly, by drilling a hole in the tube just rear of the valve body. A rod is inserted into the hole and levered against the valve stem, dumping residual Co2.

~20 years ago I fixed the wandering zero issue I had on my Crosman 160 by replacing the flimsy plastic OEM barrel band with a steel one I made. It's a slip fit over the barrel, and the lower part is split at the bottom and secured with a cap screw. This clamps the band securely to the gas tube, and the barrel can't be bumped out of alignment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2021, 11:26 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey, kind of slow around here, and I found some older pics of the QB-78. This was back when I got it, and I put a cheap Umarex 4X scope on it with the included rings.

But it does give someone who is considering this gun some semblance of what they could expect of it. This was about 30 yds, using Crosman Premiers (top), RWS Superdomes (lower left), and the RWS 7g wadcutters.

Some good groups, some not some good, but I think the bad groups were on me.

Anyway, like I said in the OP, I'll try this again with a better scope, and some H&N pellets.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Feb17 060.jpg (253.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Feb17 063.jpg (254.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Feb17 077.JPG (235.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Feb17 083.JPG (392.7 KB, 8 views)
Old 07-28-2021, 06:01 PM
38-45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Beeman - nobody there

I have a Beeman 2078A that the sear spring in the trigger assy broke.
After many calls to Beeman they finally answered. They agreed to send me
a spring as they could not be ordered. About 5 weeks later I received a package
that contained 2 o-rings but no spring. I have been calling 3 different phone numbers
for at least 6 months that all go to the same woman that never answers. So now
I have a $200 rifle that will not operate without buying a whole new trigger
assembly for the lack of a little spring.
Old 07-29-2021, 01:05 PM
Henry88

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
38-45 Sorry to hear of your delema. Beeman is only the importer, they didn't make the gun. The QB78 (I am no expert) goes back to the 1960s and was originally a Crosman design. The gun itself has been made in Asia and imported by various companies over the years.

This guy Steve Archer used to be the guru but he about 100 years old if still alive and I think other people are running the business. I know someone that recently bought parts from them and it went well.

https://www.archerairguns.com/qb78-a...tools-s/22.htm

If you do a thorough search you will find more sites. There were a million of these made before Beeman ever entered the picture.

Good luck
Old 07-29-2021, 04:08 PM
38-45

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
QB 78

Thanks for your reply.
I contacted Archer first and they said only the complete trigger assy could
be ordered. As my post said Beeman finally agreed to send me a spring but didn't.
Even their sales number goes to that woman's mail box that never answers.
I have not found any other site to order small parts from that list the sear spring that
can be ordered. I looked on ebay for a spring to modify and not knowing if they
would work and were about $10.

Last edited by 38-45; 07-29-2021 at 05:08 PM.
Old 07-29-2021, 05:30 PM
gcrank1

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Did you try looking in the 'spring bin' at the local hardware store?
Often the coil springs in pens or lighters can be used for guns.
I save springs whenever I find them or disassemble stuff to throw away.
Get creative.
If you provide the measurements of that spring here somebody may be able to find a replacement.

Last edited by gcrank1; 07-29-2021 at 05:33 PM.