Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:56 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash View Post
So why would a two stage trigger be at the top of the list with the same weight break as a single, other than benchrest?
One of the things that makes the Kidd 2 stage so great is that it can be set at a very low weight and still be safe.

All of my Kidd 2 stage triggers are set at 3oz/3oz. You can't go that low on a single stage 10/22 trigger and still have it be safe and reliable.

That's one of the reasons. There are several other's as well. The first stage is clean and short, and even at the low weight that mine are at I can feel the very instant I hit the second stage and hold there till I'm ready to take my shot. I like the fact that I can pull to the 2nd stage and then if I decide for any reason (wind change, not lined up right, etc.) that I don't want to take the shot I can release it.

When you pull through the 2nd stage it is an extremely crisp glass like break with no noticeable overtravel and a great reset.

Most if not all people who have shot with a Kidd 2 stage trigger for the most part unanimously agree it is the best trigger available for the 10/22 platform.
Old 07-25-2021, 06:02 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Wow. There is a huge gap between Clark and Kidd trigger kit on your list. Seems like it would be worth trying to DIY with a Kidd trigger kit and Youboob video.
A lot of the triggers at the top of the list with the exception of the Kidd's are all relatively close to each other as far as trigger pull IMHO. So while the Clark is a ways down on the list that doesn't by any means make it a bad trigger.

As far as installing a Kidd Kit it is very easy to do. They even give you a slave pin. After you do it once you'll be able to do it again in your sleep. Oh, and it would definitely be worth trying......
Old 07-26-2021, 09:24 AM
Horsefly
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Power Custom?

Can't you still get Power Custom drop in trigger parts? I believe they also make complete triggers.

IIRC, Power Custom made the first adjustable hammer.

Quote:
dbr65 There's replacing the sear and/or hammer (from VQ), and then Brimstone Tiers, but if more than that, go no further than KIDD -- from the drop-in trigger kit up through the single-stage and, the ultimate, the two-stage. I think I tried nearly all the options over many years and settled on KIDDs. Don't know why anyone needs to look elsewhere. Just sayin...

Doug
I don't disagree with you dbr, but some folks like to tinker. It was the guys doing the tinkerin' 15/20 years ago that got this 10/22 platform to where it is today and will continue to develope more innovation.

I have a few home brewed metal triggers that are close to perfection that took hours & hours of tinkering. I wouldn't trade them for any on Nick's list! I just don't have the patience and drive to do more............easier to whip out the credit card but not near as satisfying.
Old 07-26-2021, 02:26 PM
DavidABQ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
After reading this thread I discovered something; I am just plain cheap and lazy.

I installed a Ruger BX trigger and I am actually very happy with it. Is it as good as the trigger in my Anschutz 1712? No, it is not but for a simple have fun rifle the trigger is great!

Too much trouble and money to go buy a parts kits and install it or buy a whole new trigger like a Kidd trigger.

I am sure Kidd triggers are great but I am both cheap and lazy.

YMMV
Old 07-26-2021, 04:14 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsefly View Post
Can't you still get Power Custom drop in trigger parts? I believe they also make complete triggers.

IIRC, Power Custom made the first adjustable hammer.
They might still sell a hammer and adjustable "sear" drop in kit I believe. Not sure if they're still available. I have used one before and it was decent, but for me the trigger pull was a little heavy at around 3#'s.

When I made the list I tried to factor in trigger feel and not weight because different people like different weight triggers for different types of shooting.

If I did add it on the list it would be mixed right in with the VQ and Clark target hammers.
Old 07-26-2021, 04:32 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
They might still sell a hammer and adjustable "sear" drop in kit I believe. Not sure if they're still available. I have used one before and it was decent, but for me the trigger pull was a little heavy at around 3#'s.

When I made the list I tried to factor in trigger feel and not weight because different people like different weight triggers for different types of shooting.

If I did add it on the list it would be mixed right in with the VQ and Clark target hammers.
PC Hammer ... https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004698114

Hammer and Adj. Sear ... https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004700634?pid=949322

it would be mixed right in with the VQ and Clark target hammers = Agree

With the PC Hammer and Adj. Sear with some light smoothing/polishing I have netted very good triggers.. IMO better than the BX.

Last edited by Chaser; 07-26-2021 at 04:37 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:14 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidABQ View Post
After reading this thread I discovered something; I am just plain cheap and lazy.

I installed a Ruger BX trigger and I am actually very happy with it. Is it as good as the trigger in my Anschutz 1712? No, it is not but for a simple have fun rifle the trigger is great!

Too much trouble and money to go buy a parts kits and install it or buy a whole new trigger like a Kidd trigger.

I am sure Kidd triggers are great but I am both cheap and lazy.

YMMV
Think I see what you're seeing. I have a BX too and happy with it. Are the rumors true that not all BX are equal and if there were 100 to choose from that you could tell the top ten from the bottom 10?

Have sent my OEM triggers to Brimstone for the Basic and they seem to do as well as my BX.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:16 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
With the PC Hammer and Adj. Sear with some light smoothing/polishing I have netted very good triggers.. IMO better than the BX.
The basic retail BX trigger is not that high up on Nick's list.
Old 07-26-2021, 06:25 PM
Chaser
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (75)
Send a message via AIM to Chaser
Quote:
The basic retail BX trigger is not that high up on Nick's list.
Correct...

-VQ Target Hammer
-Clark Target Hammer
-BX
-DIY

MY.. MY Power Custom tr. jobs would be above the VQ Line... In My Humble Opinion.. which is better than a BX.. IMO the BX is not that great.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:20 PM
DavidABQ
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Think I see what you're seeing. I have a BX too and happy with it. Are the rumors true that not all BX are equal and if there were 100 to choose from that you could tell the top ten from the bottom 10?

Have sent my OEM triggers to Brimstone for the Basic and they seem to do as well as my BX.
I have no doubt that not all BX triggers are created equal and I expect that a trigger worked on by Brimstone would work very well.

Hey, I am glad that people are having a blast building a 10/22 and then have changing parts tweaking until they are happy.

I guess I can't be bothered to keep chasing a better trigger. Too much time and money that can be spent on ammo and range time.

Sometimes good enough is exactly that, good enough.

Last edited by DavidABQ; 08-04-2021 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:26 PM
Sg1911

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
After checking both web sites, the Clark trigger kit is $40 cheaper than the Kidd. I donít have access to a Kidd to try but I recently purchased a complete metal trigger housing with the Clark trigger kit installed and am very pleased with it. Just a tad over 2 lbs. no creep and crisp break.
Old 07-26-2021, 10:39 PM
Horsefly

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser View Post
PC Hammer ... https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004698114

Hammer and Adj. Sear ... https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1004700634?pid=949322

it would be mixed right in with the VQ and Clark target hammers = Agree

I too Chase, have had execellent results with the PC drop in parts with some typical buffing. Buffing that I do with any trigger parts that I buy. I've acheived better results with Power Custom hammers, sears, etc than I've had with Volquartsen. Power Custom stuff in a home brew trigger job can yield very good results. Pay attention to tolerance stacking & you can make a very good trigger!

Last edited by Horsefly; 07-26-2021 at 10:42 PM.
Old 07-27-2021, 11:58 AM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
I really can't add an aftermarket kit that someone has done improvements to to the list. Not everyone has the ability or knowledge to polish up a trigger kit. I have no doubt that some here can make a very nice trigger by smoothing out the PC kit. But in it's OEM configuration IMO it is right around the VQ and Clark Target Hammer Kit.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:28 PM
jim2527

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
Not everyone has the ability or knowledge to polish up a trigger kit.
So true. I learned how to polish years ago…I’m a bicycle guy and there’s an epic polishing thread from Australia.

It took me awhile to learn how a 10/22 trigger worked. Once that happened it was easy for me to polish up a trigger. But there are a lot of hack videos on YouTube, even from well known sources. People slathering parts with compound and going nuts with a Dremel. Yep, Dremel off that nice crisp hammer/sear interface. Make it break like soft plastic versus glass. And while your at it take that file and file perpendicular to the movement. Rocket science right there.

2 tips for success from Jim2527:
1. Never ever use a Dremel. A Dremel has its place. But a 10/22 triggger isn’t one of them.

2. Always sand on the direction of movement. Double the grit as you go. If you start with ‘100’ then 200 then 400 then 800 then 1600 then 3200. Doesn’t need to be exact but I think yo get the picture.

BX triggers are fine for 99% of the people. Knowing how much time I put into the standard 10/22 trigger job I’d never do it again. NEVER. Thr parts quality simply isn’t worth messing with. I’d buy a BX and live with it or buy a BX and a BX drop in’ kit. IDK to each their own.
Old 07-27-2021, 09:26 PM
midwest swiss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think a Jard trigger should be higher on the list.
It's a AR 15 trigger design, way better design then the Ruger one.
There allot of adjustments on the Jard triggers but would give it a C-
on style.