Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-25-2021, 05:17 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
School me about Marlins

What is the difference between a 25, 25N and 80? Is the 25N an upgrade to the newer mag style and the 80 mechanically different inside to the 25?
Old 07-25-2021, 06:15 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
originally posted by one of our Marlin enthusiast and poster here at RFC... Big Shrek

A little blip i copied and pasted:

Marlin got kind of convoluted in the naming of their rifles...

The 25 Originally was a pump-action .22short made from 1909-1910.

The model 80 started out around 1934...became the 780, 880, 980.

The Marlin 25 series was born from the Glenfield naming system.
Glenfield model 25 was made from the Marlin 780 from 1969-1982, where it then became the Marlin 25N in the mid 80's.

The 25MN, then 25M were .22WMR's, and made from 1986 until the 925M change.
The 25MB was known as the Midget Magnum, which was a Papoose-like takedown bolt-action .22WMR
The 25-MG was the smoothbarrel .22WMR known as the Garden Gun, fires ratshot nicely.

Then the 925 and 980 came into being when Marlin came out with the T-900 trigger group.

So, what's the difference between the two???
Not much.
A Marlin 80 would be older than a 25N, and therefore not have the features of a newer rifle...
But they both shoot like gangbusters. Depends on which barrel was more worn out.

---

If Marlin had any sense they'd continue making the 80-series as the Heavy Barrel version as
they started to do with the 880SQ & 982-VS.

The 981 would continue to be a tube-loader with regular barrel.

The 925/925 would be the standard .22 clip-style magazine with regular barrel.

The 980/982 would be the Heavy Barrel versions of the above.

But God Forbid that Marlin actually make some sense

Miss him coming around..great gentleman

pipestone
Old 07-25-2021, 07:14 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have an 880SS in LR and 882SS in Magnum I purchased use in the last 10 years and like and respect a lot. I know not all the magnums were marked MN after the 25 series but the name system is still confusing. When did the straight style magazine from the semi auto go into use on the bolt guns? I know there is an older style marlin mag that's often sold. I know a friend had a 60s M1 style 22 and I believe it used the standard straight clip of the 65, 795 etc but it seems the bolt guns had a more convoluted evolution and naming system with early guns having a different magazine style for the bolt actions.. I'd like to restock my stainless guns which have 1 bedding screw but I understand some guns had 2 so doing so becomes a complex compatability nightmare without gunsmithing and all sources for the laminate stocks now list as discontinued..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2021, 07:29 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Does your rifles have the extra drilled and tapped hole..If they do you can modify the stock to accept the other screw with a little fiddling

Got much smoke down there RC?

Stay safe

pipestone
Old 07-25-2021, 08:46 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
To my knowledge the magnums never used the old style Glenfield Model 25 magazines , curved with the release part of the magazine. Those were for 22 s, l and lr. Thats the same gun as the Marlin 80. But the Glenfields were birch stocked and the Marlins were walnut stocked. No checkering on the Glenfields . Then the Glenfield line was discontinued, and the old style mags too. The Marlin 25 N was brought out and the mags were straight and for the 22 lr only.. then the Marlin stocks were either birch or walnut , and the 25 N has a trigger , that is different .in a bad way.

Thats the little i think i know.

I have a Glenfield 25. It’s destined as a future gift.
Shoots well , modded trigger , but big as a moose.

I have a few other Marlins, cause I keep trying.

The one that wont go away is my 917 M2. After a Rifle basix trigger, and a scope up grade , im currently obsessed with it.

I had a pre lsho Model 60, in a squirrel stock, and that was gifted, I have a long lsho and with the DIP complete trigger, that might be a keeper too.

My 39 s, , great guns, but just not Winchesters, they are destined for the auction block.

My 1894 , in 357, the same fate.

I did have a Remlin 22 lr in a bull barrel and hideous plastic stock with molded in sling swivels that broke. The Company actually refunded my money.It used the straight mags. I gave them away to an RFC member, who has more Marlins, than JM

I love the micro groove barrel concept. KSA , makes a nice Micro grooved 1022 barrel. And id like to try one of their bolt guns.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 463CAB38-24D5-4163-8C00-953CDB38BBAB.jpg (504.9 KB, 10 views)

Last edited by Toomany22s; 07-25-2021 at 08:50 PM.
Old 07-25-2021, 10:19 PM
springer1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipestone View Post
Does your rifles have the extra drilled and tapped hole..If they do you can modify the stock to accept the other screw with a little fiddling
Ohh I wish! But I'd hate to again dismantle mine to check for this because that design of a single screw securing the stock into the barrel boss - NOT the receiver makes my Marlin stupid sensitive to screw torque .... and I finally have it about right. I have to assume I would have spotted that hole when I improved the trigger, but maybe I missed it. Can you advise which models you've seen a rimfire Marlin bolt receiver with an extra tapped hole to accept a stock screw ?
Old 07-26-2021, 12:23 AM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pipestone, I'm sending all my smoke your way There seems to be a circular pattern from the northern Sierras around Tahoe to the north up through the northern U.S. and down to the south east. You are probably getting some of it into Montana. I saw on the news Washington D.C. was socked in pretty good recently. Last summer it was hell on earth with yellow skies and the sun obscured for many days on end here. AQI has been up to the 80s but I don't think we topped 100. Last summer we were hitting 150, 200 and higher as California was on fire all over and the smoke was unbearable. Didn't want to go out without a respirator. I do smell smoke sometimes in the air and I've had a couple of bad nights where the air outside was too bad to leave the windows open without waking up with a sore throat but overall it's been tolerable to be out during the day so I've been able to get some work done on fencing in the morning and evening. I'm rebuilding over 600 feet right now that got burned up in 2015 when some idiots had an overnight camp fire near us in the summer and it whipped up after they left and burned part of our ranch and almost took out the house and several buildings. it would have if I had not been home to call it in and fight it. The direction of the prevailing wind shifts day to night here depending on if we get any sea breeze flowing through the coastal passes or not. I tend to get more smoke at night here from the north. If we get an inversion it gets bad day and night... sultry and muggy. Otherwise fresh air flows in during the night and it cools down to the 70s or we we are lucky 60s overnight. Days have been around 95 to 100 but we can get to 113 or a bit higher some days. Nobody says there is a fire bug at work but I think we get too many fires to close to together in time for there not to be one or more crazies on the loose. A lot of these fires get started by fireworks or irresponsible people not because of a natural cause. I raised hell with a neighbor not long ago because his party guests were firing illegal rockets up and there is a lot of dry grass around. People in California are STUPID!

P.S. My guns would have to be drilled and tapped to take a second receiver screw. Marlin didn't do that as a standard when they only planned to use one stock screw. I think the higher models had two from the factory. I bought a used wood stock off ebay and t it needed two stock screws to work. Haven't decided what I'm going to do with it.

Last edited by rc.; 07-26-2021 at 12:27 AM.
Old 07-26-2021, 05:34 AM
jerryray

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Another difference is the 80 has a walnut stock and the 25 stained hardwood.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:57 AM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Hers is a Model 25N, some had the hole from factory, some not

Used a hardwood dowel glued in place and a little bedding

It was a great little rifle, but has been long gone

Going to be a long burn without rain, snow don't come till Oct-Nov

One day at a time Sweet Jesus

pipestone
Old 07-26-2021, 02:23 PM
springer1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Hers is a Model 25N, some had the hole from factory, some not
Thank you ! Now I gotta make a decision whether to dissemble my 25N or not to see if mine has one ...... sigh ..... its actually shooting rather well getting 95 - 98 scores at 50yds on the A32 NRA 50ft target. Decisions decisions.
Old 07-26-2021, 03:10 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
If it shoots good I wouldn't mess with it, but then I've messed with every one I ever owned..some

Enjoy those JM's-

pipestone
Old 07-26-2021, 08:06 PM
springer1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
If it shoots good I wouldn't mess with it, but then I've messed with every one I ever owned..some

Enjoy those JM's-

pipestone
Roger that .... Agreed. I do have another that I don't shoot often, maybe I'll check that one out. Thanks again .
Old 07-26-2021, 08:23 PM
rc.

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Pipestone, I predict with the dry conditions, we are going to have one hell of a winter with lots of rain. El Nino may be back with a vengence this year. I predict flooding will come to the fresh burn zones sooner than anyone imagines. California typically has torrential flooding rains every 10 years or so.