Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-23-2021, 07:49 AM
jbmarshtx

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
cutting Laminate

What's the best way to cut laminate? I don't have a pro or even amateur woodshop. But I've got a stock that I'd like to modify a bit. It would be a cut or two with the grain.
Old 07-23-2021, 07:49 PM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What I have worked on cut exactly like solid wood of the same hardness. Use a sharp blade.
Old 07-23-2021, 08:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
What kind of laminate? Be specific
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-23-2021, 09:29 PM
jbmarshtx

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Something similar to a boyds or richards microfit. I figure like any wood...sharp blade as noted above.
Old 07-23-2021, 10:38 PM
pipestone
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Might want to use tape on the cut lines?

pipestone
Old 07-24-2021, 06:40 AM
Arrowhead

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not with a sharp blade. If drilling holes I would use a backer board just like I do with any type of wood but we are talking saw cuts in this instance.
Old 07-24-2021, 07:04 AM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
A bandsaw is generally a good go-to..
Old 07-25-2021, 11:10 AM
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (30)
I think a laminate like Boyd’s is baltic birch, which is glued and died. I won’t do anything different than cutting any hardwood. You really can’t cut with the grain because every other board is at a right angle, each layer is about 1/16” thick.
Larry
Old 07-29-2021, 11:39 AM
Thomasconnor

TPC Rating: 
100% (77)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbmarshtx View Post
What's the best way to cut laminate? I don't have a pro or even amateur woodshop. But I've got a stock that I'd like to modify a bit. It would be a cut or two with the grain.
When you say with the grain, I'm wondering if you're referring to something other than plywood like a Boyd's, which has no grain in any uniform direction?

Plywood stocks get cut like any other wood or plywood...Tom

By the way, this is a laminate stock:

Old 09-01-2021, 11:13 AM
centershot243

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
In general, when cutting what is essentially a composite material as you've described, you'd want to use a blade with a Triple Chip top grind, not a Bevel Top. The TC will not wander as the BT is prone to do in this material and will give longer blade life. The thing to remember here is that you are cutting wood that is saturated with "glue" of some type., just like plywood, waferboard, chipcore and MDF. All these materials are tough on blades because of the adhesive that binds them.

If you're running a 10" saw, use a 40 tooth blade. You can use a 60 but it will tend to burn. If a 12" then a 50 tooth, a 60 would be OK but slow down your feed rate to allow the chips to clear the cut. All of these are carbide tipped, of course.
Old 09-01-2021, 12:44 PM
rimfirerobbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by centershot243 View Post
In general, when cutting what is essentially a composite material as you've described, you'd want to use a blade with a Triple Chip top grind, not a Bevel Top. The TC will not wander as the BT is prone to do in this material and will give longer blade life. The thing to remember here is that you are cutting wood that is saturated with "glue" of some type., just like plywood, waferboard, chipcore and MDF. All these materials are tough on blades because of the adhesive that binds them.

If you're running a 10" saw, use a 40 tooth blade. You can use a 60 but it will tend to burn. If a 12" then a 50 tooth, a 60 would be OK but slow down your feed rate to allow the chips to clear the cut. All of these are carbide tipped, of course.

follow advice above.

Use a carbide tipped blade on laminated or any type of 'synthetic' wood.

Other blades can be used but will dull quickly and 'burn' through the wood.