vicfox

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Some very accurate advise above.
Old 06-29-2021, 06:58 PM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
Every rifle/ammo combo has a limit on how good they are going to shoot. If you don't have some kind of baseline for what to expect you are mostly lost wandering in the wilderness of rimfire accuracy. My best #1 in the nation ARA benchrest advice is to find an ARA Factory Class match and see what is going on there.
Old 06-29-2021, 07:40 PM
rimfirerobbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for all the advice.

I think I muddied the water with my thread title and pics I posted (I removed them)

I was originally looking for some type of chart/info on shooter induced errors from the bench rifle. Similar to what is available online for pistols.

Below is an example of what I was in search of for bench rifle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot 2021-06-29 203557.jpg (100.2 KB, 64 views)
Old 06-29-2021, 09:22 PM
2500X
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Doesn't exist.
Old 06-30-2021, 10:53 AM
MKnarr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Things I have found out over the years. Wind flags are a must. I know really good guys use as many as 5. I've never been able to use more than 2 and only then because I have a trigger set at 2 ounces. So I can set the rifle and sit up and watch the wind flags and touch the trigger when ready.

The rear bag must be in the same place for every shot. Mine must be lined up with the rear butt plate. Some will put a line on the stock where theirs go. Does your rest have a stop on the forearm. If not, you may be anticipating the shot and "gunching " the rifle forward. If you are not shooting a benchrest stock, most rifles have cast of on the stock and without a stop, that will cause the rifle to dip down and to the left. Try moving the rifle back and forth and see where the crosshairs go on the target.

A level on the rifle is a must. I've shown hunters what a couple of degrees of cant can do to the impact point at 100 yards and benchrest shooters know what a wind can do to a .22 bullet even at 50 yards. Look up "shooting wind rose" A 1 MPH 90 degree wind will deflect a subsonic bullet about .090 of an inch at 50 yards more for a high velocity one. And there is a vertical component to that wind as well and a wind rose will show that.

Also, set the rifle on the target where you want it. Do not muscle the rifle to the target as that will surely be a flier.
Old 06-30-2021, 01:09 PM
vlnbyr

TPC Rating: 
100% (11)
All wasted. The OP isn't interested in learning how to shoot a good target, he wants to look at a bad target and see what went wrong.