Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-24-2021, 06:53 AM
rimfirerobbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Target Analysis

New to bench and was searching for some type of guide to help identify potential errors on my end that might be causing some of my shots to enter where they do on my targets.

Can any of you shooters point me to some type of 'guide' to help analyze shot locations on my targets ?

I'm shooting at 50yd distance.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-24-2021, 08:38 AM
crankythunder

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Hey Rimfirebobo

I know that there are pistol correction charts. Just type pistol correction chart into your search engine.

here is one:

https://aegisacademy.com/blogs/test-...rrection-chart

Not sure that there is one for benchrest although there are charts as to wind direction with regard to bullet hit.

Regards,
Crankster
Old 06-24-2021, 04:05 PM
rimfirerobbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
thank you for the info.
I've been searching and couldnt locate one for bench/rifle.

Im never hitting anyplace above poa on the target, but consistently every 5th or so shot is going low left about 7 oclock. sorry no pic to post. I'll try to remember to get a pic next time.

Thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2021, 04:40 PM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have no idea if it's similar with rifle but low and left is pretty much always tightening grip as you squeeze the trigger with pistol.

I've never shot "bench" but it would seem to be a good exercise to try not using the grip at all, but gently resting the palm and only using the trigger finger.

This advice is worth exactly what you paid for it!
Old 06-24-2021, 06:37 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ive wondered why we dont have the 'Rifle Error Chart' like we do the 'Handgun Error Chart' for 3 decades or so.......
Old 06-25-2021, 11:58 AM
rimfirerobbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
Ive wondered why we dont have the 'Rifle Error Chart' like we do the 'Handgun Error Chart' for 3 decades or so.......
Maybe one of the professional bench shooters on here can make one ?

After searching for 3 days online, the only one I came across was on the site below.

https://www.fieldandstream.com/photo...rget-practice/
Old 06-25-2021, 01:15 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Sadly, that is only showing rifle or ammo issues unlike the pistol chart that shows shooter errors.
Considering that 'most guns' shoot better than the shooters it would be nice to have the more common shooter errors that result in the poi being different than the poa; ie, jerking the trigger, buttpad not in the shoulder pocket the same shot to shot, suddenly thinking about your high school girlfriend, etc. .......
Old 06-25-2021, 04:01 PM
eflyguy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcrank1 View Post
suddenly thinking about your high school girlfriend, etc. .......
POI high. Definitely.
Old 06-25-2021, 05:10 PM
rimfirerobbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
well, that settles it. No chart needed, its either women, wind or ammo.
Old 06-25-2021, 07:11 PM
Steeveedee
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
50 yards or 50 feet?

This is a rifle, right?
Old 06-25-2021, 09:49 PM
ECC

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Interesting results but do you have more information.

Rifle/trigger, ammo, scope, rest used, wind etc.

Any pix of your setup?

Last edited by ECC; 06-25-2021 at 09:52 PM.
Old 06-27-2021, 06:54 AM
rimfirerobbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How do you get over 300 people looking at a question and only 2 guys provide feedback? Maybe I should have asked what kind of donuts people like Carry on
Old 06-27-2021, 07:34 AM
mkprz
US Army Veteran Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
https://store.rwvaappleseed.com/page18.html

There is a page on basic shot group analysis in the Guide to Rifle Marksmanship booklet.

It is geared to shooting on the deck vs a table but could be some benefit to the BR shooter.
Old 06-27-2021, 09:14 AM
rimfirerobbo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkprz View Post
https://store.rwvaappleseed.com/page18.html

There is a page on basic shot group analysis in the Guide to Rifle Marksmanship booklet.

It is geared to shooting on the deck vs a table but could be some benefit to the BR shooter.

Thank you for that info.
Old 06-27-2021, 08:31 PM
2500X
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's near impossible for someone to just look at a target and figure why you get a miss. From the info you provided, looking at your pictures and what I have heard about the rifle you are using, I have some thoughts.

First, you have too few wind flags. Conditions can and will vary (sometimes pretty significantly) over 50 yards. Most top shooters will have 4 or more (some many more) wind flags downrange and some will use a mix of different types of flags or wind strength indicators. Shooting over multiple wind flags and referring to a wind chart will help you figure out if a miss is due to you misreading or misidentifying a wind condition and where you should be holding off for a certain wind direction and velocity.

Second, Eley Club is not a top notch ammo. It is ammo downgraded by Eley due to a batch having flyers or other accuracy issues. Try using either Eley Match, Tenex, or Lapua Center X, Midas Plus. These are the top match ammo brands/grades that are currently being used by the top shooters, and, they even test these grades of ammo by lot # as there are better lots than others.

Third, While I have not shot, handled or seen your rifle model, there was a thread here indicating that the stock of your rifle has some cast-off (bends slightly to your right). Purpose built benchrest rifles will be perfectly straight and not have any cast to them. I would expect having cast-off on a bench rifle will result in your rifle not tracking well in your bags. I don't know if you are shooting free recoil (only touching your rifle with your trigger finger and not allowing the butt of your stock to touch your shoulder, such that the rifle is allowed to move back freely at that shot). Shooting a stock with cast-off using free-recoil, I would not be surprised with some of the shots going left. If you are not shooting free-recoil, but rather have your hand on your stock and the butt of your rifle touches your shoulder, inconsistent amounts of pressure can be the culprit. Consistency is one of the keys to accuracy. Any slight change in your technique will yield a change in your shot placement.

These are just some possible reasons that I thought of while reading your post. There are so many variables in benchrest shooting that can affect your shot that it could be completely other issues. Getting good at benchrest shooting is like any other sport. It takes lots of dedication, & good technique, plus good equipment, good ammo and lots of good practice, oh, and keep a shooting journal to keep track of what you've learned in your practice.