Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-03-2021, 10:22 AM
MikeMyers
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
High Standard 2020 Barrels for X-Series

While trying to figure out what I thought was a problem on my X-Series gun (before I found it was a broken firing pin spring) I took lots of photos showing the barrel while it was still dirty. Then I set everything up to get a really good photo (I'm a photographer). I sent it to Alan, and he asked for a copy to put up in his booth at Camp Perry.

I didn't want to send him a boring looking copy from my b&w printer, so I went to VistaPrint to get something better, which led me their tools, which led to this image, now being printed and sent to Alan as a present. He liked it, so I'm posting it here. It apparently shows things Alan does to barrels that makes them better than barrels from other sources.

Old 06-03-2021, 01:03 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Alan (or one of his Interarms staff) installed an X-Series barrel & slide on my Victor frame and along with a couple of his magazines . . . put my made from parts Victor back in great shooting condition. I'm just waiting on the run of barrel weights to complete my project.
Old 06-03-2021, 03:10 PM
[email protected]
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
x-series barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjferber View Post
Alan (or one of his Interarms staff) installed an X-Series barrel & slide on my Victor frame and along with a couple of his magazines . . . put my made from parts Victor back in great shooting condition. I'm just waiting on the run of barrel weights to complete my project.

Just curious, what was the cost, and did you need to go through an FFL ? I have a Slant Grip Victor frame for which I need barrel and slide. Won't ever be an original, but at least I'll have a nice shooter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2021, 03:22 PM
MikeMyers

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You only need to use an FFL if you are sending a frame, with the serial number.

On the other hand, you might be better off sending the frame to Alan, so his technicians can get it all to fit together properly. Then you may need an FFL, although usually I just go to Fed Ex or UPS, tell them what's in the box, and they may request you to send it one-day-delivery. Since you're not buying or selling, just "repairing" I think the rules are different.
Old 06-03-2021, 09:25 PM
rjferber
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

Just curious, what was the cost, and did you need to go through an FFL ? I have a Slant Grip Victor frame for which I need a barrel and slide. Won't ever be an original, but at least I'll have a nice shooter.
2019 prices . . . but I don't think they have changed.

A new X-Series Slide - a complete sub-assembly - fit to my frame - $175
A new X-Series Barrel - reworked to use hex screw attachment - $195
(2) new Interarms Magazines - $100
Adjust (2) of my magazines & inspect (2) others that were beyond help
Labor for above work - about $100 if I recall correctly.
Plus shipping both directions

Was it worth it . . . Yes, I think so. No, I won't get my investment out of the firearm, but I have a High Standard X-Series that shoots as an original Series X model would have. The Interarms Repair Facility is an FFL (I believe) and I sent them my frame and the X-Series slide and the rib off my old barrel. They sent it back to me as a completely assembled X-Series upgraded Victor. Pleased with the results.

Check them out - https://interarmstx.com
Old 06-04-2021, 12:57 AM
Alan Aronstein

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Repairs and FFL

You don't need a FFL to send a pistol or a frame to us for repairs. We can also send it directly back to you. The USPS is cheaper than Fedex and UPS but you have to go thru a FFL. If you have a REAL Slant Grip Victor Frame, I beleive that we have enough CT parts to complete your pistol. It will be expensive but well worth the price. - Alan Aronstein
Old 06-04-2021, 06:16 AM
[email protected]

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Aronstein View Post
You don't need a FFL to send a pistol or a frame to us for repairs. We can also send it directly back to you. The USPS is cheaper than Fedex and UPS but you have to go thru a FFL. If you have a REAL Slant Grip Victor Frame, I beleive that we have enough CT parts to complete your pistol. It will be expensive but well worth the price. - Alan Aronstein
Sounds good. I'll get the frame assembly to you shortly.

thanks

the frame contains all the internals, I don't know if the attached 4 1/2 inch barrel is correct, however the high steel vent rib is a definite mismatch.
Should have included this information in my earlier post.

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-04-2021 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-04-2021, 08:43 AM
Charlie1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Sounds good. I'll get the frame assembly to you shortly.

thanks

Do you know which barrel and rib your frame originally had?
Old 06-04-2021, 09:14 AM
[email protected]

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie1 View Post
Do you know which barrel and rib your frame originally had?
No, I don't. Didn't do my homework when I bought this thing. The 4 1/2 barrel with correct weight was attached. Apparently the person I bought it from cobbled a mismatched rib to it.
Old 06-04-2021, 09:42 AM
Charlie1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
No, I don't. Didn't do my homework when I bought this thing. The 4 1/2 barrel with correct weight was attached. Apparently the person I bought it from cobbled a mismatched rib to it.

These came with vent steel, vent aluminum, and solid aluminum ribs. How do you know that what you have was wrong?
Old 06-04-2021, 11:03 AM
[email protected]

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
These came with vent steel, vent aluminum, and solid aluminum ribs. How do you know that what you have was wrong?
The rear of the rib extends past the rear of the slide. It shouldn't as shown in photos of original slant grips.

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-04-2021 at 11:05 AM.
Old 06-04-2021, 11:48 AM
Charlie1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So this is a vent steel Rib that you have?

John Stimson did an article about the slant grip Victor for the HSCA newsletter. I think that you can probably tell whether the original rib was steel or aluminum from the serial number ranges in that article. it's all about the serial number in determining the originality.
Old 06-04-2021, 01:20 PM
FuzzyVision

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
The rear of the rib extends past the rear of the slide. It shouldn't as shown in photos of original slant grips.
How far does it extend?

I was just reading about a slant grip Victor that was frankensteined together by Lou Lombardi. See post #4 in this thread for a photo and description:

https://www.rimfirecentral.com/forum....php?t=1206541

Maybe the rail on the Lombardi SGV is from a military grip 4.5" Victor?
Old 06-04-2021, 02:06 PM
[email protected]

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
So this is a vent steel Rib that you have?

John Stimson did an article about the slant grip Victor for the HSCA newsletter. I think that you can probably tell whether the original rib was steel or aluminum from the serial number ranges in that article. it's all about the serial number in determining the originality.
as previously stated, it's a high steel rib. do you know which issue of the HSCA newsletter the article was in ? I have them all back to Jan 2014.

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-04-2021 at 02:10 PM.
Old 06-04-2021, 02:17 PM
Charlie1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
as previously stated, it's a high steel rib. do you know which issue of the HSCA newsletter the article was in ? I have them all back to Jan 2014.

The cast steel ribs for the Victor had an extension that was rounded and tapered to match the contour of the slide and had vertical serrations. For the slant grip versions they simply milled this skirt off leaving a squared off back

Your mismatch / overhang should be able to have the rib modified with a mill in less than 15 minutes and when reblued it should look original if the gun originally had the steel rib.

The article is from 2010 and was once posted on John's website but is now gone.